Contract or lack of....

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5229 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

When I commenced employment in 2007 I signed a zero hour contract, within this it stated that after leaving the company you cannot start up a similar business within 6 months.

In 2008 I was promoted, never got a contract, statement of employment etc.

I am wondering if the first contract would be seen as sufficient?

My wage has never been affected if I have been off sick since I was promoted but now I am getting SSP. (I assume, seen as I have still not received my Dec payslip)

Can I challenge this? And, the thing about starting up a business, can they take legal action on this as I really should have another contract that is relevant to my current position.

I hope this makes sense!:)

You should have received an 'instalment particular' when the terms of your contract changed. It doesn't have to be a whole new document, just written notification of the changes.

With regard to the 'if you leave you can't start up similar' clause, these are called 'restrictive covenants'.

Given what I know of your circumstances from your previous thread Ms J, I think you'd be safe enough telling 'em to get stuffed and going on to do whatever you want.:)

How valid they are really depends on the circumstances. For example, they often state that one can't go and work for a competitor within a certain radius - if your employer were to dismiss you though, they'd have a hard time pursuing you for doing so. The right to earn a living is pretty solid.

If you were to break a RC, the burden would be with the former employer to prove how that had been to their detriment.

Ask for a copy of your latest contract. I beleive they would have to supply it if required.

At least then you know where you stand.

All the best with your business if you do go ahead with it.