DVLA fine for not telling them I disposed of a car I never owned

HerrMaker
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5243 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In Feb 2009, I agreed with a VW garage in Bolton to buy a car off them (without seeing it as it was held in a central depot in Mikton Keynes).

I paid a deposit and the car was to be transported to Bolton for collection in a few days.

I went to collect the car, and had to cancle the deal as the car had accessories missing which the garage would not replace.

They refunded my deposit and I thought that was the last of it. Note i never even test drove the car.

I received a log book for the car as the saleman had sent the new registration documents in before I went to collect the car.

I sent the log book to the VW garage as requested, and thought that was the end of it.

Anyway, I receiveda letter before xmas saying i hadnt notified DVLA of a change of ownership. I called DVLA and explained the situation (so when I told them over the phone they knew of the situation). The girl at DVLA said I still needed to write to them to notify them.

I was cheesed off that I now had to write a letter, but I did it anyway.

Then I receive a fine to say they havent been notified so I need to pay £35 or £55.

I've sent the form back to my local DVLA office and await their response.

If they come back and try to enforce this - where do I stand?

Why did you send the V5 to the garage? You were the legal registered keeper and if that wasn't the case you should have returned the V5 to DVLA telling them that you didn't buy the car.

Because you didn't do that, you remained the registered keeper. It is irrelevant whether you actually bought the car or not now, what is relevant is that you did not notify DVLA that you dispoased of the vehicle (which would not be the case) or were no longer the registered keeper (which would be the case).

As a result you have been fined by them correctly.

Your only real recourse is to write to them and tell them that you never owned the car, which is true.

I sent the V5 to the garage as that is what they requested i do if i received the log book from the dvla.

Anyway, my local DVLA office have had a look at my situation and have confirmed that I do not need to pay the fine.

Looks like they are reasonable people after all.