• Tweets

• I apologise if I was being unclear. Where it currently stands is that they will have it repair, placing scaffolding in our garden for 5 days. They have moved fast, but we will still have to postpone our contractors, meaning, we won't necessarily have the work done in time for the wedding and therefore will incur additional expenses for either a marquee or a wedding venue. They are vehemently against having any kind of liability in any regard but continue repeating that they are legally entitled to use our garden for their repairs (I believe this is true unless the work can be carried out using a cherry picker). The neighbour seems either indifferent or oblivious to the fact they can't reach all of the side of the roof from the space where they can place the scaffolding. They have asked their roofer of choice about using a cherry picker but the roofer has said it wasn't possible. It's not clear whether the roofer doesn't want to use a cherry picker or whether there is an issue with it. They have told us it is a problem that we are installing a gazebo as it will prevent them to access their roof from our garden in the future?!?  
    • Couldn't agree more, really wanted a true ruling on this just for the knowledge but pretty sure the Judge made some decisions today that he didn't need to?.. maybe they all go this way on the day? We hear back so few post court dates I'm not sure. Each Judge has some level of discretion. Their sol was another Junior not even working at their Firm, so couldn't speak directly for them! that was fortunate I think because if she would have rejected in court better, she might have  been able to force ruling, we are at that point!, everybody there!!, Judge basically said openly that he can see everything for Judgement!!!  but she just said "I can speak to the claimant and find out!" - creating the opportunity for me to accept. I really think the Judge did me a favor today by saying it without saying it. Knowing the rep for the sol couldn't really speak to the idea in the moment. Been to court twice in a fortnight, on both occasions heard 4 times with others and both of my claims, the clerk mention to one or both parties "Letting the Judge know if you want to have a quick chat with each other"! So, it appears there's an expectation of the court that there is one last attempt at settling before going through the door. So, not a Sol tactic, just Court process!. Judge was not happy we hadn't tried to settle outside! We couldn't because she went to the loo and the Judge called us in 10 minutes early! - another reason to stand down to allow that conv to happen. Stars aligned there for me I think. But yeh, if the sol themselves, or someone who can make decisions on the case were in court, I would have received a Judgement against today I think. She was an 'advocate'.. if I recall her intro to me correctly.. So verbal arguments can throw spanners in Court because Plinks dogs outsource their work and send a Junior advocate.
    • that was a good saving on an £8k debt dx
    • Find out how the UK general elections works, how to register to vote, and what to do on voting day.View the full article
    • "We suffer more in imagination than in reality" - really pleased this all happened. Settled by TO, full amount save as to costs and without interest claimed. I consider this a success but feel free to move this thread to wherever it's appropriate. I say it's a success because when I started this journey I was in a position of looking to pay interest on all these accounts, allowing them to default stopped that and so even though I am paying the full amount, it is without a doubt reduced from my position 3 years ago and I feel knowing this outcome was possible, happy to gotten this far, defended myself in person and left with a loan with terms I could only dream of, written into law as interest free! I will make better decisions in the future on other accounts, knowing key stages of this whole process. We had the opportunity to speak in court, Judge (feels like just before a ruling) was clear in such that he 'had all the relevant paperwork to make a judgement'. He wasn't pleased I hadn't settled before Court.. but then stated due to WS and verbal arguments on why I haven't settled, from my WS conclusion as follows: "11. The Defendant was not given ample evidence to prove the debt and therefore was not required to enter settlement negotiations. Should the debt be proved in the future, the Defendant is willing to enter such negotiations with the Claimant. "  He offered to stand down the case to give us chance to settle and that that was for my benefit specifically - their Sols didn't want to, he asked me whether I wanted to proceed to judgement or be given the opportunity to settle. Naturally, I snapped his hand off and we entered negotiations (took about 45 minutes). He added I should get legal advice for matters such as these. They were unwilling to agree to a TO unless it was full amount claimed, plus costs, plus interest. Which I rejected as I felt that was unfair in light of the circumstances and the judges comments, I then countered with full amount minus all costs and interest over 84 months. They accepted that. I believe the Judge wouldn't have been happy if they didn't accept a payment plan for the full amount, at this late stage. The judge was very impressed by my articulate defence and WS (Thanks CAG!) he respected that I was wiling to engage with the process but commented only I  can know whether this debt is mine, but stated that Civil cases were based on balance of probabilities, not without shadow of a doubt, and all he needs to determine is whether the account existed. Verbal arguments aside; he has enough evidence in paperwork for that. He clarified that a copy of a DN and NOA is sufficient proof based on balance of probabilities that they were served. I still disagree, but hey, I'm just me.. It's definitely not strict proof as basically I have to prove the negative (I didn't receive them/they were not served), which is impossible. Overall, a great result I think! BT  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

URGENT Please can I have your help with CL Finance / H. Cohen and County Court Claim

Born To Be
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5062 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Done!!! All I need to do now is print off the acknowledgement so I have "paper" proof it has gone.

Would I be right in assuming I just wait and see now or do I have to be taking any other action?

Cabot - £7000 - can't provide docs :)

Red Castle/GUS - unenforcable - phoney docs:)

Halifax £2000 bank charges refunded 12/7/07:)

Halifax (round 2) - LBA 30/8/08 - £2500 back within 3 weeks

Nat West - £2,000 - WON offer dated 7th December 2009 (a week after the Supreme Court Ruling !!!!)

In progress

Yorkshire (hubby) - LBA sent, discussion reggarding hardship undertaken waiting to see what their plans are after Supreme Court Case

Capital 1 - SAR'd - typed docs provided not originals gonna play letter ping pong for a while

Halifax Visa - when I get a moment

Halifax personal loan - when I get a moment

If all these come to cash I'll be a millionaire (ish)

• Replies 177
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Paper copy printed and going to Cohens by RD this morning - I'm gonna go clean my house now - it has been a little neglected and I am sure there is dust in corners that I didn't realise I had corners!!

Hope you are up and about soon Postggj - I spotted the reason you had been offline on another post. :)

Nat West - £2,000 - WON offer dated 7th December 2009 (a week after the Supreme Court Ruling !!!!)

In progress

Yorkshire (hubby) - LBA sent, discussion reggarding hardship undertaken waiting to see what their plans are after Supreme Court Case

Capital 1 - SAR'd - typed docs provided not originals gonna play letter ping pong for a while

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year to everyone.

I received a letter from the Courts yesterday accepting my defence and stating that the claimant has been given 28 days to respond or the claim will be stayed.

Watch this space and hopefully this will soon be sorted.

In progress

• 1 month later...

Well everyone it looks like Cohens must be carrying on with court action as I received an allocation questionnaire a couple of days ago so now need your help (again) to get it filled in.

I plan on answering like this but before I send it off I wanted to make sure these answers were right

A - No

B - No

C - Yes

D - No

E - No

F - No

G - No other info

H - No (no fee)

I - Signature

If anyone can add anything at all about what happens now I would appreciate it - I'm flapping again.

TY

In progress

Bump - Anyone can you please help with the answers for the allocation questionaire??

In progress

• 3 weeks later...

Well I've now received my Notice of Allocation to the Small Claims Track (hearing) with my date to attend court and absolutely don't know what to do next.

Should I hope hope that Cohens don't divvy up the £75 costs before the due date therefore it gets struck off the list or do I really need to face the fact that I'm going to have to attend and see how this is judged?

Any info about next steps and what paperwork to provide to court and cohens would be much appreciated.

In progress

Hi Postggj

Yes they sent them to me on 18th December, received 19th December (the copies of the stuff they sent are on page 3 of this thread.

I notice the "notice of assignment" was issued on CL Finance headed paper not GE am I correct in believing that this is incorrect and indeed for the assignment to be effective it should have been sent by GE?

I also question what documents I need to provide to the Court, Cohens have to cough up £75 and the original documents, does this mean the actual paper with my actual signature or will the court accept a photocopy / microfiche print as I am convinved they cannot get the original - on the 2 occasions they have sent me copies of my agreement both copies were identical in so much that they were printed badly angled on the paper as if they were simply a print of the same electronically stored document.

My concern is should I be doing something, preparing any documents if so what should I be sending? All the paperwork says is send in no later than 14 days before the hearing.

Finally, do you still think Cohens are going to raise their white flag? it seems like they are progressing with the case although I don't know what if anything they have sent to the court - I assume they must have done something for it to have been allocated a hearing date.

Thanks again all that have replied especially Postggj - my lifesaver!!

In progress

I didn't receive a deed of assignment from them, not until they produced the one on page 3 of this thread.

I would be looking to defend based on the fact that I have no correct deed of assignment and also in their original court papers they did not mention it, I don't really know enough about the other bits of law to see what else they have done wrong, I can't even tell if my agreement is truly enforcible based on the fact that there is no date with my signature - I feel like such a clown!

I have been so busy revising for my finals and completing my placement hours I have hardly had time to turn around - I am simply feeling overwhelmed by it all.

In progress

BTB, I know it's a little late now, and you may not get the paperwork back in time, but I would be inclined to SAR GE Money, their paperwork should reveal whether or not there is a DOA (it is my understanding that the NOA does not have to be sent by the assignor, it can be sent by the assignee, and I stand to be corrected on this if I've got it wrong), and also if you've been defaulted by them.

Hi BTB,

Have you submitted anything other than the short defence Postggj drafted for you?

If you have a court date we may need to look at formulating a full defence to what documents they have provided. It would also be a good idea to prepare a skeleton arguement. These you would need to submit to the court and cohens about seven days before the trial date.

Regards

Hi Ghostdebt

I have nothing other than that which postggj did for me before Christmas and any help with full defence and skeleton argument would be a really appreicated.

Thanks,

In progress

Hi BtB,

Your initial defence does state that you would like permission to file an amended defence if they provide the documents, so I think it would be a good idea. Especially knowing the way CL behave.

You should also make reference in the amended defence to wanting to see the Deed of Assignment as well.

Have a quick read of my CL threads and see if there is any information of use. Then come back with any questions you have.

Regards

got your message

has a trial date been set yet

has the court given any dirrections as to what documents need to be produced

when does the defence need to be in by

quick update on your dispute would be nice also

regards

• 2 weeks later...

After spending 10 mins typing up a comprehensive reply I've just lost the lot!! but here is the jist of everything. (sorry for the delay - intermittant internet!!)

Court date is set for mid May, the case has been allocated to the small claims track providing Cohens pay £75 before 10th March to the court. Does anyone know if Cohens are likely to pay this and pursue the claim or is this the point they pull out?

Judges directions state

* each party must deliver to each other party and the courts all documents which they are relying on no later than 14 days before the hearing.

* The original documents must be produced at the hearing

There are a couple of others but I don't think they are relevant as discuss expert withnesses and use of DVD's etc.

My argument is :-

I've never had a notice of assignment from GE Money and I therefore challenge CL's legal right to collect the balance from me.

Additionally, I don't think they will be able to produce originals of anything to the court - the 2 copies they have provided of my original credit agreement are identical (in so much as the corner had the same bit of info missing as if folded when it had been scanned) there is no way on earth they could ducplicate exactly the same copy 2 years apart unless it was a screen dump of a scanned document.

Also the credit agreement does not include the date of my signature in the signature box - I know this is a weak point but it is a little more ammunition if I needed it.

I am not sure which documents I am relying on or producing - in my opinion it is them that are relying on docs not me - is it up to them to produce evidence to prove the legality of the debt with them or upto me to disprove it?

Bamboozled as ever !!

Edited by Born To Be
atrocious spelling

In progress

After spending 10 mins typing up a comprehensive reply I've just lost the lot!! but here is the jist of everything. (sorry for the delay - intermittant internet!!)

Court date is set for mid May, the case has been allocated to the small claims track providing Cohens pay £75 before 10th March to the court. Does anyone know if Cohens are likely to pay this and pursue the claim or is this the point they pull out?

They coughed up £150 on mine, but did not lodge any documents prior to the hearing, served me, but not the Court with a Notice of Discontinuance.

Hang on in there, don't panic.

Have you SAR'd GE Money yet?

• 5 weeks later...

I received a letter from another arm of the company yesterday offering me 50% discount on the debt if I pay it off as a lump sum - only thing is the debt has now increased to nearly £1000, don't know how, don't know why. Still going to Court and I'll let the judge decide either way.

Question though - if they don't turn up to court do I automatically win by default??

In progress

I received a letter from another arm of the company yesterday offering me 50% discount on the debt if I pay it off as a lump sum - only thing is the debt has now increased to nearly £1000, don't know how, don't know why. Still going to Court and I'll let the judge decide either way.

Question though - if they don't turn up to court do I automatically win by default??

Don't ever assume that things happen "automatically" in Court, always assume the worse and be prepared for any eventuality. Cohen's tried to serve the Court, and my wife THE DAY BEFORE the hearing, faxing stuff through to the Court and posting my wife's documents first class post. Fortunately, we had pre-empted them by sending a letter asking for the case to be thrown out due to lack of compliance. We had an understanding Judge, and he threw it out.

I suggest that two weeks before the hearing you send a letter to the Court asking for the case to be thrown out, you will get a letter back saying that the Judge will decide on the day. Be prepared to go to Court, so have your bundle ready, and take with you a request for costs.

• 2 weeks later...

I have now found out that they have paid the hearing fee - and they paid it on time!

And have had a further letter from the other arm of the company offering me the discount again.

Can anyone give me an idea about what I should have in my bundle - I am relying on them not being able to prove the debt is legally theirs - I've had nothing from them to prove otherwise ! I am on a deadline now as my bundle needs to be sent to the court/cohens within the next few days - I am currently trying to revise for my finals, write my dissertation, prepare a seminar presentation and write another 2 essays, all this on top of working full time placement hours (unpaid - part of my degree) - this has come at such a bad time and I am now getting really "worked up" about it all.

Please can anyone give me a pointer in the right direction, in particular I would like to know :-

1) What documents I should send to Cohen/Court

2) Do I need to prepare another defence other than the embarrassed defence I have already submitted? - I have had no other documents from them since they sent these (post 55 on this thread) http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/237706-urgent-please-can-i-3.html#post2656178

3) Whatever I should do I have to do it within the next 2 days (I know I should have sorted this sooner!!)

Thanks to everyone who has helped so far

Edited by Born To Be

In progress