MBNA offering Partial Settlement After CCA failures.

Basil Fawlty
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4667 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

its UKMail, but there is no date printed there.

Yes, I think its invalid too, but just wanted confirmation from one or two others. I suppose my next step is do nothing until they terminate, which they state they will do.

thanks for the reply

BF

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Receiving it today, the 9th, means only 12 days.

If you only received it today giving you only 12 days to rectify the default, then it will be invalid.

14 days are required, so yes I would agree, wait and see if they terminate.

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

law states that any other postage other then royal mail 1st class is deemed to be 2nd class which requires 4 working days after the date of postage before it can be deemed as served.

Yeah it defiantly invalid. It wasn't MBNA was it?

so wait for them to terminate and then send them a letter confirming that you accept their unlawful termination of your agreement/contract and on the back of an invalid default notice. also that you denie them your permission to reinstate the agreement, as in order to reissue a valid default notice to correct their mistake they need to reinstate the agreement which they can not do without your consent.

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

Hi there.

Your DN wouldnt be from MBNA would it? I received one too yesterday, dated 4th, received 9th asking unfortunately for arrears, and given until 21st to remedy when they have promised they will terminate (hurray!!!). My envelope is UK Mail with the S in the top corner, I am taking this as second class post and also calculate that I have legally until 24th.

There is no such thing as a 0% credit card....... someone out there is paying for it, and for once its not going to be me.:razz:

one i got was dated 12/08/09 received 18/08/09 and gave me to the date before the 29/08/09 so invlaid for that reason and also invalid cos the idiots went and sold the debt on the the 17/08/09 the day before i recieved the DN, effectively terminated the agreement when they sold it, so unlawful termination lol. Oh and the twits registered the default on my credit file on the 31st july 09, thought they couldnt do that till after a valid notice was issued and the 14 days had elapsed.

Oh and yes the S is second class but it would matter if it was first class as law states only royal mail 1st class is deemed 1st class and any other mailing firm is deemed as 2nd class regardless

Please note that this advice is given informally, without liability and without prejudice. Always seek the advice of an insured qualified professional. All my legal and nonlegal knowledge comes from either here (CAG),my own personal research and experience and/or as the result of necessity as an Employer and Businessman.

By using my advice in any form, you agreed to waive all rights to hold myself or any persons representing myself of any liability.

If you PM me, make sure to include a link to your thread as I don't give out advice in private. All PMs that are sent in missuse (including but not limited to phinishing, spam) of the PM application and/or PMs that are threatening or abusive will be reported to the Site Team and if necessary to the police and/or relevant Authority.

No Idea, your going to be our guineapig! :D

No there are set guidelines that have to be strictly adhered to in order for the DN and any further action to be taken.

But I'm sure you'll be able to tell us otherwise;)

Boo:p

Who ever heard of someone getting a job at the Jobcentre? The unemployed are sent there as penance for their sins, not to help them find work!

Mmmm, it all worries me :eek:

As you can probably tell, I'm pretty new to this.

Btw, also with this card, I requested the CCA months ago and havent

received anything since, not even t&cs, so I suppose I've got them on

two counts so far.

I will certainly keep people informed of my experiences.

BF

only if you combine him with a non clued up defendant.

and for the delivery saturday and sunday dont count in the four days. produced Friday, means deemed posted on Monday, so today is the day it should have arrived anyway. Always nice to have had a friend with you though when you got home and the letter was on the door mat;).

Now keep quite about the DN until they terminate/take you to court. Technically they cannot re-issue but it gets a damn site more complicated in court if they do

Once they have terminated the account on the back off a invalid default notice then they can not enforce the debt in court, as they will be acting unlawfully. So if they do try taking you to court, your simple defence will be invalid default notice and unlawful termination of agreement/contract as a result of invalid default notice. Faliure to Comply with your CCA request too.

Then counter claim for damages for unlawful termination of agreement. As case law states they are liable to pay you damages of upto £1,000 plus your court costs.

one i got was dated 12/08/09 received 18/08/09 and gave me to the date before the 29/08/09 so invlaid for that reason and also invalid cos the idiots went and sold the debt on the the 17/08/09 the day before i recieved the DN, effectively terminated the agreement when they sold it, so unlawful termination lol. Oh and the twits registered the default on my credit file on the 31st july 09, thought they couldnt do that till after a valid notice was issued and the 14 days had elapsed.

Oh and yes the S is second class but it would matter if it was first class as law states only royal mail 1st class is deemed 1st class and any other mailing firm is deemed as 2nd class regardless

Where does it state that?

You may receive different advice to your query as people have different experiences and opinions. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take.

If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability.

If you think I have been helpful PLEASE click the scales

court bundles for dummies

hi josie what part of the my previous post were you referring to? was about the Default or about the postage?

hi josie what part of the my previous post were you referring to? was about the Default or about the postage?

the postage

You may receive different advice to your query as people have different experiences and opinions. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take.

If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability.

If you think I have been helpful PLEASE click the scales

court bundles for dummies

the postage

here you go Joise8

1. Interpretation Act 1978, Section 7

This states:-

Where an Act authorises or requires any document to be served by post (whether the expression "serve" or the expressions "give" or "send" or any other expression is used) then, unless the contrary intention appears, the service is deemed to be effected by properly addressing, pre-paying and posting a letter containing the document and, unless the contrary is proved, to have effected at the time at which the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post."

2. Practice Direction

Service of Documents - First and Second Class Mail.

With effect from 16 April 1985 the Practice Direction issued on 30 July 1968 is hereby revoked and the following is substituted therefore.

1. Under S7 of the Interpretation Act 1978 service by post is deemed to have been effected, unless the contrary has been proved, at the time when the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post.

2. To avoid uncertainty as to the date of service it will be taken (subject to proof to the contrary) that delivery in the ordinary course of post was effected:-

(a) in the case of first class mail, on the second working day after posting;

(b) in the case of second class mail, on the fourth working day after posting.

"Working days" are Monday to Friday, excluding any bank holiday.

3. Affidavits of service shall state whether the document was dispatched by first or second class mail. If this information is omitted it will be assumed that second class mail was used.

4. This direction is subject to the special provisions of RSC Order 10, rule 1(3) relating to the service of originating process.

8th March 1985

J R BICKFORD SMITH Senior Master

Queen's Bench Division

The part about royal mail was mention somewhere else on the forums but i can find it, when i do ill let you know

Thanks Hungrybear. The OC was xxxxxxx but they have since sold the account to a DCA. The DN was dated 9th January 2008 and gave me until 26th January 2008.

9th Jan 2008 was a Wed so allowing 4 days for postage would be deemed served on Tues 15th, 14 clear days is 29th so the only way this could ever be valid would be if 1st class was used.

Please could this thread be left for Basil Fawlty seeing as it is actually his?

Edited by mkb

Thanks very much for saying that mkb, but I'm more than happy to read other peoples experiences with DN's.... I'm hoping to learn as much as I can about them.

As for me, I'm taking the advice I've been given on here and waiting for them to terminate, so I'll have nothing much to say until then.

If, and when they do, I shall be asking advice on my next move.

cheers

BF

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Basil

Any news on the DN/Termination front? I was half expecting a termination letter and some bombardment from a DCA over christmas, but it appears they just cant get the staff!!!

There is no such thing as a 0% credit card....... someone out there is paying for it, and for once its not going to be me.:razz:

Hi Basil

Any news on the DN/Termination front? I was half expecting a termination letter and some bombardment from a DCA over christmas, but it appears they just cant get the staff!!!

Absolutely nothing. No mail, no telephone calls since before Christmas. I can only guess they are dissecting the Manchester cases as we are.

The date I was given to send them money was 21st December, so I'm expecting a termination letter anytime now.

BF

knowing them ******s they probably think the manchester ruling will apply to your Invalid DN, it be another 6 months before they realise it only applies to the CCA

hi Basil, my dates were identical to yours.

Teaboy? what do you mean about the Manchester case etc?

Well basicly their was a case in manchester the over week that alot of cases between debtors and creditors were put on hold for while waiting the final outcome.

Alot are still trying to get their heads round it but their s a few posts regarding the case on the site. heres a link to just one of the post. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-collection-industry/240186-dissecting-manchester-test-case.html

Personally from what i can make out myself it wont effect you if the DCA take you to court, but if you take them to court it basically now thanks to that one person legal team a whole lot harder. its basically to do with weather the creditor is required to have a copy of the exact original off the CCA that includes your signiture.

But to be honest am just waiting for someone to actually make a proper and clear post as to what the judge actually means for everyone.