• Tweets

• Nick Wallis has written up the first day of Angela van den Bogerd's evidence to the inquiry. I thought she was awful. She's decided to go with being not bright enough to spot what was happening over Fujitsu altering entries on the Horizon system, rather than covering up important facts. She's there today as well. The First Lady of Flat Earth – Post Office Scandal WWW.POSTOFFICESCANDAL.UK Angela van den Bogerd, on oath once more It is possible that Angela van den Bogerd and her senior colleagues (Rodric Williams, Mark Davies, Susan...  
    • Thank-you dx, What you have written is certainly helpful to my understanding. The only thing I would say, what I found to be most worrying and led me to start this discussion is, I believe the judge did not merely admonish the defendant in the case in question, but used that point to dismiss the case in the claimants favour. To me, and I don't have your experience or knowledge, that is somewhat troubling. Again, the caveat being that we don't know exactly what went on but I think we can infer the reason for the judgement. Thank-you for your feedback. EDIT: I guess that the case I refer to is only one case and it may never happen again and the strategy not to appeal is still the best strategy even in this event, but I really did find the outcome of that case, not only extremely annoying but also worrying. Let's hope other judges are not quite so narrow minded and don't get fixated on one particular issue as FTMDave alluded to.
    • Indians, traditionally known as avid savers, are now stashing away less money and borrowing more.View the full article
    • the claimant in their WS can refer to whatever previous CC judgements they like, as we do in our WS's, but CC judgements do not set a legal precedence. however, they do often refer to judgements like Bevis, those cases do created a precedence as they were court of appeal rulings. as for if the defendant, prior to the raising of a claim, dobbed themselves in as the driver in writing during any appeal to the PPC, i don't think we've seen one case whereby the claimant referred to such in their WS.. ?? but they certainly typically include said appeal letters in their exhibits. i certainly dont think it's a good idea to 'remind' them of such at the defence stage, even if the defendant did admit such in a written appeal. i would further go as far to say, that could be even more damaging to the whole case than a judge admonishing a defendant for not appealing to the PPC in the 1st place. it sort of blows the defendant out the water before the judge reads anything else. dx  
    • Hi LFI, Your knowledge in this area is greater than I could possibly hope to have and as such I appreciate your feedback. I'm not sure that I agree the reason why a barrister would say that, only to get new customers, I'm sure he must have had professional experience in this area that qualifies him to make that point. 🙂 In your point 1 you mention: 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver. I understand the point you are making but I was referring to when the keeper is also the driver and admits it later and only in this circumstance, but I understand what you are saying. I take on board the issues you raise in point 2. Is it possible that a PPC (claimant) could refer back to the case above as proof that the motorist should have appealed, like they refer back to other cases? Thanks once again for the feedback.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Court summons for travelling first class

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5217 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Yep I'd say Partybonkers is negtive on train travel, no doubt he's got quite a few friends, no doubt his friends will sympathize with him, no doubt his

friends will consider alternative methods of transport. Word of mouth either relays a bad experience or a good experience. Yep they'll gain his

£105, but they'll lose £500.

I have no problem with that,

Everyone makes choices, and has a right to do so

All of those paying First Class fares will congratulate an inspector on a job well done.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

'All of those paying First Class fares will congratulate an inspector on a job well done.', lol

I was once on a late night train home, as is common on the late trains, they were very busy and full off rather drunk but friendly people, many of whom had decided (like me) to take advantage of the first class section (it is well known that an inspector wouldnt dare try and check tickets at that time of night).

Anyway there was a passanger in the first class section who took offence to his lovely first class carraige being filled with us 'drunken oiks', he started ranting and raving and eventually lashed out and hit a poor girl who happened to be there, lucky for him her boyfriend and friend didnt lash out they calmly called the police and didnt let the guy leave untill the police arrived, this guy was then arrested for assault and carted off, the police asked everyone for their name and addresses should witnesses be needed and we all continued on our way, of course the police were not at all interested in wether we had first class tickets or not.

Now this guy who no doubt did have a first class ticket (and had also had a few beers like the rest of us) could of just sat there and enjoyed the rather festive atmosphere but instead he decided upon a 'I'm better than you because I have a first class ticket' attitude which ultimately led him to being arrested and maybe even charged.

It's something that always sticks in my mind.

Andy

I have no problem with that,

Everyone makes choices, and has a right to do so

All of those paying First Class fares will congratulate an inspector on a job well done.

You know I do not think people in first class would congratulate a inspector, I beleive if any one was explained the full story they would see it from my side and say I should be just asked tom move,

I think you are the one with the negative view, but you have the negative

on every one who is travelling and you probably think every one is a fare evader and no won deserves the benifit of doubt that they actually could have made a mistake, and we are not all tyring push the boundaries.

If I had a 'negative on everyone', would I come on to this site to try to help people?

Because that's what I actually try to do and so do a great many others on here who give some very sound advice based on the comments posted in these threads

Where the 'negative' comes in is when the person who has been reported and appears to ask for help, gets advice based on fact (and not gut reaction) and it doesn't match up with what they want to hear.

Obviously, it's best that I don't try to offer any more comment that is intended to help.

Edited by Old-CodJA

I am interested to know how you were unaware you were in 1st class? All the windows are marked 1st class, the carriage is marked 1st class, the nicer seats with white head cloths etc are a clue too.

Why did you refuse the penalty? You were in the wrong!

He wasn't in the wrong he made a mistake. What benefit did he gain in his three minutes in first class? For all you know he might of been waiting ages for the train, the first thing you want to do is sitdown. If you never let anybody try First Class why the hell should they buy a First Class ticket. Or are they reserved for people who have travelled First Class all thier lives.

I am interested to know how you were unaware you were in 1st class? All the windows are marked 1st class, the carriage is marked 1st class, the nicer seats with white head cloths etc are a clue too.

Why did you refuse the penalty? You were in the wrong!

The seats are exactly the same, they do not have white cloths on the head rests there were no doors seperating it off, they do have stickers on the windows but I did not notice them at the time, like I said before I would have noticed eventually and I would have moved but I was not given that

chance, I did not pay the £20 penalty charge because I object to paying

£20 for sitting in the wrong seat for 3 mins.

The seats are exactly the same, they do not have white cloths on the head rests there were no doors seperating it off, they do have stickers on the windows but I did not notice them at the time, like I said before I would have noticed eventually and I would have moved but I was not given that

chance, I did not pay the £20 penalty charge because I object to paying

£20 for sitting in the wrong seat for 3 mins.

True..they do vary a lot, some are completely different seats in seperate area, some have white head 'cloths', others appear to be exactly the same as the other seats, occasionally a different colour.

On my local line, (C2C) Im pleased that they did away with them completely, I think the space is better spent on more 'normal' seating or bike space or toilets.

Andy

I did not pay the £20 penalty charge because I object to paying £20 for sitting in the wrong seat for 3 mins.

As I said previously, if that is the case and you genuinely believe that you did nothing wrong, then you should attend Court and plead 'not guilty'.

partybonkers

if you do plead not guilty, can you ask the judge why people are quoting a case thats over a hundred years old and surely we are in very different times with the amount of rolling stock thats available, no doubt in 1889 the timetable was very different, the population was very different. Oh, and what is his definition of a mistake?.

partybonkers

if you do plead not guilty, can you ask the judge why people are quoting a case thats over a hundred years old and surely we are in very different times with the amount of rolling stock thats available, no doubt in 1889 the timetable was very different, the population was very different. Oh, and what is his definition of a mistake?.

This is exactly why some of us come onto these sites. To try to correct misunderstandings and to help people understand what the process is.

Rebel11, you are clearly confused here.

Firstly, it will be a Magistrates Court hearing that this matter is summonsed to be heard by and although it's not beyond the realms of possibility that there could be a District Judge sitting, it is far more likely to be a Bench of 3 Magistrates who will decide this case.

Secondly, the year 1889 does not relate to any particular case.

1889 is the year in which the particular Act of Parliament, ( The Regulation of Railways Act ) under which the charge is alleged, was confirmed by the then government and was put onto the Statute Book. There have been many amendments in the intervening 130 years, bringing that legislation more up to date with modern life, but they are just that, amendments to an existing legislation.

This is very much in line with the situation concerning many other summary offences nationwide, which are charged as breaches of original legislation laid down a hundred or more years ago.

Can you see how important attention to detail is?

I quoted Gillingham (1881) as one of the cases that determined what constitutes a valid ticket. It must be valid for the day, date, time, place and class of travel occupied.

You were referring to 1889 - that's the date the Regulation of Railways Act was passed.

Please see YOUR quote copied into my earlier posting.

Edited by Old-CodJA

I am here to help people, I am not here to debate things that none of us can alter at the moment in time that the advice is sought.

Rebel11, Exactly how you think that that particular precedent can be changed is beyond me!! All it does is explains what constitutes a valid ticket.

In a further hundred years that explanation it will probably still be the same.

All of the technology will be different as it already is in the case of Oyster, which by the way still has to be measured as valid against the description given.

Any ticket / permit / pass or, whatever you are required to have in 2100 is called, will still have to be valid for where you are when you are there.

I have had a surprising number of messages of support from other readers suggesting amongst other things that my 'tolerance is admirable', 'why bother to post publicly when a PM to the OP would deliver help to the person seeking advice', 'Don't bother with them, they are not worth it ' etc.

I have had some messages that have suggested that such blatant attacks on sound advice given by people who are actually involved in the process daily, are the very reason that some of those incredibly helpful people do not post on CAG forums any more.

Of course you have the right to continue to throw your opinions into the discussion, but they will not alter the present legal position. They are just your opinion.

It may be that I agree with some points of your argument, but I am not expressing my personal opinion.

I have made clear that so far as I am concerened, the OP is advised to plead not guilty if he/she genuinely believes that they have done nothing wrong.

I only posted openly because I genuinely feel that it's the right thing to do, and in the genuinely held belief that understanding the actual legislation in force might help others who come along looking for explanation or advice in the future.

You are of course welcome to have the last word on this particular subject as I have no doubt you will, I have had mine.

'I have had some messages that have suggested that such blatant attacks on sound advice given by people who are actually involved in the process daily, are the very reason that some of those incredibly helpful people do not post on CAG forums any more.'

Good I'm glad your getting loads of support.:D

What difference does it make whether the act was passed in 1889 or 2009 it's still illegal to travel without a valid ticket, I expect murder was illegal in 1275 are you saying that it shouldn't be the case now because the act is old?

The regulation of railways act 1889 is obviously a very watertight piece of legislation as it has stood the test of time with thousands prosecuted under it every year!

Views expressed in this forum by me are my own personal opinion and you take it on face value! I make any comments to the best of my knowledge but you take my advice at your own risk.

If people are unhappy with current legislation, instead of bitching about it on an internet forum why not contact your MP?

They are the only ones who can change it.

Until then either accept the advice of people who know how the system works or ignore it. Whining on about it being sooo unfair wont make the penalty fare or summons go away for the person who has come onto this site for help.

Please remember that anyone who has worked in a customer facing role knows that the public have to complain about something or they feel they are'nt getting their moneys worth.

Two of your chums, lol.

It goes against the very foundation that law in this country is based on,

unfortuantely some on here have missed that.

SRPO, is it your forum? do you own it? No didn't think so.

'Please remember that anyone who has worked in a customer facing role knows that the public have to complain about something or they feel they are'nt getting their moneys worth.' I've worked in enough customer service

roles to tell you thats rubbish. Thats the most supid thing I seen anyone post on any thread, reading threads and posts would tell you that. congradulations.

It goes against the very foundation that law in this country is based on,
how can paying the correct fee for a service that you use go against the very fibre and foundation of this nation?

I do think that a ton for sitting in the wrong seat is a bit steep though...

for the OP

regardless of whether you sat in 1st class deliberately or by mistake it really doesn't matter.

the fact is that you sat there, and you didn't have a ticket to sit there, so you didn't have a valid ticket.

If you really feel that an injustice has been done then fight it.

'fight' the charge on the fact that your fine suggest that you sat in first class longer than you'd said that you were, (included a leg of the journey made on a different train) -the train company say that you sat in 1st class for half the journey and should pay 1st class the whole way, you're saying that you sat in standard class for half the journey so should pay standard class for the whole way. -neither is right, really you should only pay for what you've used, and that's 1st class from your changing station to your destination.

I've got a few questions for you...

You say that you objected to paying the £20 fine for sitting in the wrong seat for 3 minutes. what exactly was this fine? was it a fine for not having the right ticket? or was it the cost of a first class ticket from the stations that you were going from - to?

if it's a fee for a 1st class ticket, then I'd stick to your guns, an honest mistake was made and you offered to correct the mistake at the first opportunity given to you.

if it's a fine then things are a little shakier as you were in the wrong place, so the train company could be right to impose the fine, even if it does go against common sense, or common decency to just accept that you made a mistake and let you move.

Also you say that you were prevented from leaving the 1st class section, how were you prevented from leaving? told to stay there, physically barred? threatened? had the doors closed to prevent you leaving the 1st class carriage? threatened with arrest by the transport police if you left 1st class? told that you weren't allowed off the train when it stopped in a station? (to move down a carriage to standard class).

(I'm assuming that there was a first class carriage and there was no way to get between standard and first class whilst the train was moving?).

Could you have just ignored the person gotten up and walked away? or did they tell you that bad things would happen if you did that?

(if that were the case then you should see if you could counter claim for false imprisonment). -make sure what happened first with the definition of that though.

how long ago was this? would it be worth asking the train company for a copy of the CCTV footage of the incident, this would presumably show you innocently getting on the train, probably in a rush and sitting down.

I'd imagine it'd also show you standing up and offering to move when you were asked for a 1st class ticket by the ticket inspector?

Basically, if you want to fight, you can fight on the grounds that you shouldn't pay a penalty/fare for a service that you didn't use. (first leg of the journey).

or that the fare should be reduced because of this... (if it is a fare, and not a penalty fine).

or you can try to gather favour with the judge explaining that it was a simple mistake, perhaps showing the video footage (of you offering to move and the inspector being "unreasonable") most(if not all) trains have CCTV now, and pray that the judge will reduce the fine on the basis that there wasn't a intent to commit an offence...

both of those are pretty rubbish and overly hopefully defences though.

or you can go the third route and prove (again perhaps with the CCTV) that you were unlawfully detained and counter claim damages...

-which, if you're telling the truth, you should be able to prove with the CCTV.

if you can't prove that you tried to offer to get up and move,

if you can't prove that you were in a rush and made an innocent mistake -that you tried to correct

if you can't prove that you were unlawfully detained then you might not really have a chance or case to fight with.

Hi Danielr

Firstly thanks for your suggestions,

It was first class seats at the end of the carriage, there were no doors

seperating it off, the only indication it was first class were the stickers on the windows, and I think there were signs on the wall at the end of the carriage,

When the conducter asked to see my ticket, I was then told that I was in first class, I apologised said I had just sat down and did not relalise, I went to stand up and offer to move the conducter then stood in front of me so i could not get out of my seat, they were the type of seats that sit 4 round the table 2 on each side, so my exit out of these seats was blocked.

Also the conducter had my monthly ticket in their hand and would not give that back.

I was told I would be getteing a penalty fine for my offence and I would have to pay £20, when I refused to pay I was even threatened that they would keep my monthly ticket if I did not pay.

I told them that they could not do that (do not know if they can) and it was not mentioned again.

I posted on this forum to see if anyone had been through some thing similar and beat it.

things have gone a little bit off subject here and maybe a little bit heated, but it is a opinion forum and every one is entitled to their

opinion.

I do feel it is a little bit harsh for it to have gone this far for some thing

to me that seems quite trivial, but do accept that i made a mistake in sitting in the wrong section, should the punishment be so harsh for that

offence, I do not think so, I think a penalty should be saved for people

travelling with out any ticket, but that is just my opinion.

The way I'm looking at it is they are looking for £105 now, as much as I

want to fight it, the further it goes the more expensive it could get, with court costs, costs if i want the conducter to show up in court and be questioned, and from the advice I have got on this site I will probably lose, and I just cannot afford for this to get more expensive.

I'm just going to have to plead guilty pay the £105 if it is awarded by the judge and put it behind me.