• Tweets

• Thank-you dx, What you have written is certainly helpful to my understanding. The only thing I would say, what I found to be most worrying and led me to start this discussion is, I believe the judge did not merely admonish the defendant in the case in question, but used that point to dismiss the case in the claimants favour. To me, and I don't have your experience or knowledge, that is somewhat troubling. Again, the caveat being that we don't know exactly what went on but I think we can infer the reason for the judgement. Thank-you for your feedback. EDIT: I guess that the case I refer to is only one case and it may never happen again and the strategy not to appeal is still the best strategy even in this event, but I really did find the outcome of that case, not only extremely annoying but also worrying. Let's hope other judges are not quite so narrow minded and don't get fixated on one particular issue as FTMDave alluded to.
    • Indians, traditionally known as avid savers, are now stashing away less money and borrowing more.View the full article
    • the claimant in their WS can refer to whatever previous CC judgements they like, as we do in our WS's, but CC judgements do not set a legal precedence. however, they do often refer to judgements like Bevis, those cases do created a precedence as they were court of appeal rulings. as for if the defendant, prior to the raising of a claim, dobbed themselves in as the driver in writing during any appeal to the PPC, i don't think we've seen one case whereby the claimant referred to such in their WS.. ?? but they certainly typically include said appeal letters in their exhibits. i certainly dont think it's a good idea to 'remind' them of such at the defence stage, even if the defendant did admit such in a written appeal. i would further go as far to say, that could be even more damaging to the whole case than a judge admonishing a defendant for not appealing to the PPC in the 1st place. it sort of blows the defendant out the water before the judge reads anything else. dx  
    • Hi LFI, Your knowledge in this area is greater than I could possibly hope to have and as such I appreciate your feedback. I'm not sure that I agree the reason why a barrister would say that, only to get new customers, I'm sure he must have had professional experience in this area that qualifies him to make that point. 🙂 In your point 1 you mention: 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver. I understand the point you are making but I was referring to when the keeper is also the driver and admits it later and only in this circumstance, but I understand what you are saying. I take on board the issues you raise in point 2. Is it possible that a PPC (claimant) could refer back to the case above as proof that the motorist should have appealed, like they refer back to other cases? Thanks once again for the feedback.
    • Well barristers would say that in the hope that motorists would go to them for advice -obviously paid advice.  The problem with appealing is at least twofold. 1] there is a real danger that some part of the appeal will point out that the person appealing [the keeper ] is also the driver.  And in a lot of cases the last thing the keeper wants when they are also the driver is that the parking company knows that. It makes it so much easier for them as the majority  of Judges do not accept that the keeper and the driver are the same person for obvious reasons. Often they are not the same person especially when it is a family car where the husband, wife and children are all insured to drive the same car. On top of that  just about every person who has a valid insurance policy is able to drive another person's vehicle. So there are many possibilities and it should be up to the parking company to prove it to some extent.  Most parking company's do not accept appeals under virtually any circumstances. But insist that you carry on and appeal to their so called impartial jury who are often anything but impartial. By turning down that second appeal, many motorists pay up because they don't know enough about PoFA to argue with those decisions which brings us to the second problem. 2] the major parking companies are mostly unscrupulous, lying cheating scrotes. So when you appeal and your reasons look as if they would have merit in Court, they then go about  concocting a Witness Statement to debunk that challenge. We feel that by leaving what we think are the strongest arguments to our Member's Witness Statements, it leaves insufficient time to be thwarted with their lies etc. And when the motorists defence is good enough to win, it should win regardless of when it is first produced.   
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Mortgage Express appoint LPA Recievers Walker Singleton to scare tenants off!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4049 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

In this example, express is an adjective and not a verb. Hearing it as a verb, the ear wants to modify the word to expressed, with a sense: the consent that has been expressed by someone or something. But this is not the correct use of the word in your example. Express written consent means: the consent that has been directly, firmly and explicitly stated. Another example: "He disobeyed my express orders."

Read more: http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Censorship_of_spoken_or_written_words_before_they_have_been_expressed_is_prior_restraint#ixzz167jAHjeY

Hi Charles, my mortgage offer says BTL product but nothing on the deeds or T & Cs. Surely they can rely on this as a intention to give you BTL product?

Any thoughts?

Tenants scared from WS or Templetons, this is the hardest part. The Recievers must pay someone to write such a intimidating letter that the tenants cannot sleep once they see this and start fretting not knowing what to do. this is understandable when they tell the tenants landlord has not been paying the mortgage and you are not allowed to stay as we are gooing to sell etc. Only thing you caqn do is reassure them that they cannot be evicted with protection for them with thier tenancy agreement.

when your tennant is being threatened with eviction by templetons and other read this new ruling for eviction of tennents , give this to your tennents if you feel they are under threat and its beyond your control

http://wzeu.ask.com/r?t=p&d=mys&s=ads&c=a&l=dis&o=10170&sv=0a65290e&ip=d923e924&id=E10F8F13C58B411DA1BC5EBE534F9D33&q=Manchester+Council+v+Pinnock&p=1&qs=2873&ac=24&g=1baed3DHLX0pxU&en=gs&io=0&ep=&eo=&b=a001&bc=&br=&tp=d&ec=1&pt=JUDGMENT%20Manchester%20City%20Council%20(Respondent)%20v%20Pinnock%20(Appellant)&ex=&url=&u=http://www.supremecourt.gov.uk/docs/UKSC_2009_0180_Judgment.pdf

patrickq1

also as a landlord it might be worth a visit to shelter and explain what MX and others are doing to your properties and you feel they are going to evict your tennents see if they have any back up plans enough to cause a stink with politicians as shelter are up their and in the know

patrickq1

Hello Chilli,

It is the same with us the original offer letter, years ago, says buy-to-let, I believe (still trying to locate) and the lender verbally telling us this also. BUT what the solicitors have submitted, as a statement of case and what they are relying on supposedly, is the T&C and Deed and nowhere does it say buy to let.

The Paper work says Quote...... "you must NOT move out of the property"

AND in the letter of appointment from MX to Templeton it strangely says this;-

"the receivers acknowledge that they shall not take possession of the property (other than as agent of borrower) without the written instructions of the lender."

AND diddled,

So far I have not seen that term that the "mortgage is regulated" anywhere in paperwork at my disposal but it could be in their booklets and other such things.

AND patrick1

I will forward that info to tenant....although to be honest, I think the damage may have already been done.

Many thanks all

Edited by charlesGGG
spelling error

the Pinnock ruling is very very important and is not too late for your tennents

patrickq1

Landlords have warned human rights laws could undermine government plans to introduce fixed-term social tenancies.

The Residential Landlords Association has said landlords could struggle to evict tenants once their fixed-term is up because of a recent court ruling.

The government unveiled plans to introduce fixed-term tenancies for new social lets, which could last as little as two years, in a consultation paper this week.

But the RLA said the recent case of Manchester Council v Pinnock could make these difficult to implement.

In this case the Supreme Court ruled a court must rule on whether an eviction is ‘proportionate’ under the European Convention on Human Rights before it can go ahead.

Although the eviction was permitted, the decision has raised questions over how practical it is for councils to evict tenants. The RLA said at present the ruling only applies to local authorities, but it is ‘only a matter of time’ before a challenge seeks to extend it to housing associations and private landlords.

Richard Jones, a lawyer, and policy director at the RLA, said: ‘The government is going to face the same problem when it comes to implementing their new proposals for the new style social tenure.’

The body has written to deputy prime minister Nick Clegg and housing minister Grant Shapps voicing its concerns.

have the baliffs obtained a warrant of execution if not why not, if the mortgage company are insisting this is not a buy to let then they need a court order ,if they are using the power of attorney then this is classed as an abuse of proccess ,and they must use the courts to evict , they cant have it both ways. so lock your door and refuse entry without a court order and you have a right of apeal and a stay of excecution ,

report them to the police if the balliffs try to smash the door in tresspass and damage to your property .

patrickq1

Since the LPA/lawyers already have a possession order (to remove tresspasser.. ie my tenants) would not the letter my tenants got simply be a confirmation/warrant to evict.

And also the basis of all this, is that all parties believed the mortgage is a buy-to-let. It was only recently, as I started going through the T&C that the realisation that there is actually very little reference to buy-to-let in the bloody thing (they really are Banksters).

Charles, I thought there was no reference to BTL in your paperwork.

Hello,

Yes Diddled, there is no reference to "buy to let" in the documents we have and also nothing in what they submitted to court, except the lawyers saying the LPA told them so.

I was making reference to the fact that years ago when we first took out the mortgage, I think the offer letter stated buy-to-let, But that is a guess because we don't have that paperwork anymore and they have not produced it either.

The issue is something triggered all of us to initially think it was a buy-to-let, BUT when you look now (in clear light of day) it appears that somehing is not quite right with the overal paperwork they are producing.

Regards all,

it might be worthwile to ring the FSA and ask for a senior Manager and explain you predicament ,also ask them can they give a ruling on this ,as it seems they are playing dirty i would be ringing them, if you beleived it to e a buy to let and they think otherwise you have no call because the solicitor has duped you with fraudulent paperwork and you have been left in a no win situation,so ring them first thing monday morn ,if the fraudulent part can be proven their is a chance you might be able to walk from this debt free due to fraud ,if the FSA say they will look into this case it will give you breathing space enough to help you get some form of action plan in going forward ...i have not had enough detail on this case ,but i would be screaming from the roof tops on this one also the law society ask can they help due to a solicitors fraudulent actions as they will have had the insurance indemnity money so perhaps this is another angle claim against the insurance ?

patrickq1

Fraud, Dishonest Conduct and the Tort of Deceit The tort of deceit is founded on the notion that a falsehood is made with the intention that it should be acted on by the party receiving it. The tort requires the claimant to prove a fraudulent intention.

The modern law of the tort is based on the decision of Lord Hershell in Deek v Peek (1889). In that case, the elements of the tort were determined to be as follows:

“In order to sustain an action of deceit, there must be proof of fraud, and nothing short of that shall suffice. Secondly, fraud is shown that a false representation has been made:

1) Knowingly, or

2) Without belief in its truth, or

3) Recklessly, carelessly whether it be true or false.

Although I have treated the second and third as distinct cases, I think the third is but an instance of the second, for one who makes a statement under such circumstances can have no real belief in the truth of what he states. To prevent a false statement being fraudulent, there must, I think, always be an honest belief in its truth. And this probably covers the whole ground, for one who knowingly alleges that which is false, has obviously no such honest belief. Thirdly, if fraud be proved, the motive of the person guilty of it is immaterial. It matters not that there was no intention to cheat or to injure the person to whom the statement was made.”

A reasonable ground for the belief will avoid a successful claim for deceit, although this is not the ultimate test. The reasonableness of the belief in the light of the factual matrix of the case is material to the likelihood of the belief in its truth; that is not to say that an unreasonable belief in the truth of the statement would properly found a claim for fraud, but rather merely go to the likelihood that a person would hold the belief. A conscious indifference to the truth, in that the person making the misrepresentation knew the statement to be false, or was sufficiently reckless or careless as to the truth, does not have any honest belief in the truth of the statement which would found an allegation of fraud as much as the knowledge that the statement was false.

Proving Fraud

It is for the claimant to prove the facts (whether in a claim or in a defence) that give rise to the fraud, including the state of mind of the person making the representation and reliance. Such is the seriousness of allegations of dishonesty are treated, a court will look for persuasive evidence that the dishonest conduct is more likely than not. The public interest dictates that a court will not readily draw a conclusion that the mental element for deception has taken place. If the evidence does not convince the court, the action will fail. According, it is simply a question of having evidence of dishonesty, but convincing evidence of an intrinsic better quality proving the facts that the person making the misrepresentation did so with a guilty mind.

It is likely that a court will be minded to award costs on a higher level of recovery to a defendant who successfully resists allegations of dishonesty.

Nature of the Representation

Deceit presupposes that a misrepresentation has been made. The misrepresentation must be of present fact or law; and may be made by words or conduct. Further, the misrepresentation may indicate approval or support for a false representation made by some third person. In this way, to make out an allegation of fraud, words, conduct or a document must misrepresent a present fact or law, and others supporting the misrepresentation may also be liable.

The general rule prevents statements of future intention to founding a action in deceit. Where the person’s intention however may be proved to be false at the time the statement was made, a court is likely to take the view that the state of mind is a matter of present fact. As an extension to this, when a person promises to do an act, when they have no intention of fulfilling the obligation, that will also give rise to an action.

A similar rationale applies to statements of opinion. Provided that the opinion is intended to be relied upon and it is relied upon by the receiver of the statement and suffers damage as a result a dishonestly expressed opinion is enough. Again the difficulties with proof of the falsity of the opinion subsist.

For instance, entering into a contract with no intention of performing would satisfy this test or drawing a cheque and presenting it to the creditor in the knowledge that it will not be paid are likely to form good grounds; the difficulty is proving that the person held the relevant subjective intention at the time of making the representation.

Mere silence however is not enough. A claimant must be in a position to point to an act of concealment, to draw a person into acting. Accordingly half truths are capable of sustaining a cause of action in deceit provided that an active withholding of information may be proved. This may take the form of a fragmented or partial version of the truth or a misstatement of fact: the key is whether the withheld material makes that which was stated false.

The Belief and State of Mind

The essence of fraud is that the person making a representation. Although the person’s subjective belief may by measured and cast against an objective standard to test the likelihood of the belief, it must be the case that the person lacked an honest belief in the truth or consciously indifferent to the truth of what was represented.

This belief being present, the claimant must also prove that defendant intended the person to act on or rely on their false statement, in the manner that damage resulted. It is insufficient that the person suspects a person may rely on the statement.

Where an event is a reasonably foreseeable result, it is likely that a court will assume that the defendant intended that consequence. The representation does not need to be made directly to an individual, it may be directed to a class of people intended to act on the representation.

Reliance

The final element of the tort of deceit requires that the claimant acts upon the statement, that is to say relies upon it. If it may be shown that the claimant would have acted in the same way in the event that the representation was not made, an action in deceit will be dismissed. In essence the attempt to deceive on the part of the representor must be successful. The representation is not required to be the sole statement upon which the claimant relied, but it must make a material contribution to the cause of his actions.

Provided that the representation is made to the claimant in circumstances where a reasonable person would act upon it is sufficient to prove reliance. Indeed further knowledge may be acquired by the claimant after the representation is made, which will not displace the reliance, provided that the new knowledge does not wholly dissipate the false belief engendered by the representation in the first instance.

Damages

A claimant must show that they have suffered loss as a result of their reliance on the misrepresentation. In common with other areas of law, the measure of damages equates to the loss that they have suffered as a result of the conduct of the defendant, and not in the position they would have been if the statement were true. The same applies to this tort.

It may be said that a court will not be receptive to an argument by the defendant that the claimant has suffered damage where they have been deceitful. Where there is any doubt that the claimant has suffered damage, that doubt is likely to be resolved in favour of the claimant.

Loss suffered as a result of an unprofitable transaction, damage to property and to the person are recoverable, and in certain circumstances distress, disappointment and loss of enjoyment. The quantum of the latter are bound to be moderate. The court maintains a jurisdiction to increase these awards where the conduct of the defendant has aggravated the injury to the claimant. Where the fraud has resulted in the acquisition of property at an overvalue, the measure of loss is the difference between the value at which the property was acquired, less the market value of the property at the date of the transaction. This general principle applies unless there is good reason to depart from it – that is, that the claimant would not be fully compensated for the misrepresentation. Such instances include where the market value was otherwise created by a false market; where the misrepresentation could be construed as a continuing misrepresentation that the victim relied upon to retain the property, or there exist factors that force the victim to retain the asset.

Accordingly, the court will strive to adhere to the principle that a claim ant is entitled to recover all actual damage representing the financial loss flowing directly from his change of position under the inducement of the representations made by the defendant. To achieve this end, the rules relating to the reasonable foreseeability of the loss may well be relaxed.

Furthermore:

1.There is no requirement of financial benefit for the defendant;

2.where the claimant has made a profit in excess of the compensation that he would be entitled, the claimant has not suffered loss.

3.The claimant may recover a profit if it may be shown that the resources expended on the transaction may have been invested by another means.

4.the tort gives rise to a higher measure of damage than that awarded in contract, as the loss is assessed at the time the misrepresentation was relied on, and not at the time of the contract (assuming that the causes of action overlap). Thus, the measure of loss is not limited by the reasonably foreseeable at the time of the contract was formed, but at the date of reliance and having regard for the circumstances at that time.

Where the fraudulent misrepresentation has been made during the course of employment, the employer is jointly and severally liable with the employee for the misrepresentation. So when the statement is made with the actual or ostensible authority of the employer – part of their job – the employer will be liable. Further to this, the employer will often be a better defendant than the employee due to the resources available to them on execution of a judgment.

Having fallen foul of Mortgage Express and their appointed L.P.A. Templeton who have mismanaged a property for two years, we have found it impossible to get info from M/X, we have written to Richard Pym (no reply) but have now involved our M. P. he is concerned to learn how M/X and the receivers act. they use the 1925 act which allowes them to take controle of your buy to let houses and to sell them at below market value without you having any say and no chance to go to court. This act needs repealing, write to the justice ministry and to your M.P. along with all other actions recomended here on this forum. The more who complain the better chance we have of success.

Edited by tonyhuws
spell check

Hi Tony. Have you tried sending a SAR to MX. If they don't comply withing 40 days you can take it up with the Information Commissioners Office. http://www.ico.gov.uk/for_the_public/personal_information/how_manage/access_info.aspx

The Consumer Action Group is a free help site.

Should you be offered help that requires payment please report it to site team.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

yes Caro i am sure all the others have tried to SAR MX who are totally ignoring all requests,they are after all a goverment company dressed up to look kegimate i have written to the goverment agancey who control this branch they will not even respond quoting sections that make them immune from answering question using official secrets act , so it really is upto MP's their is a prominent Conservative MP who has asked for a ten minit ruling on a debate i think it was shouted down by both libs and cons it stinks all round need some very drastic action but their again the newspapers are cuddlin upto the cons at the mo so will take time which a lot have nt got ,their is a ruling that these agents must hand back the properties after 12 months so perhaps they can be got on this but MX and others know they only need pass it on to another agent ? they have it all ways , only way that seems likely is direct action of barricading the place shut ot bulldozing the properties and get your day in court sorry that is an extreme version of getting a hearing lol

patrickq1

PS ARLA do not seem to have any intrest either strange huh

After the fiasco with bank charges I realised a long time ago that the government of whatever party, most media, and so called regulatory bodies are not interested in consumers or their so-called rights Patrick. I knew others had SAR'd but with Tony being new wanted to check he knew about it.

Have complaints gone to the ICO, court action taken etc? What about Freedom of Information requests?

Just because nothing's working so far people still have to make themselves heard and keep making a nuisance of themselves so MX and co don't think they can have things all there own way without a fight.

Lobbying MPs can be a good route to getting things done in the long term, but of course people need help now. I wish I had some answers.

Advice & opinions given by Caro are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

Must admit I was unsure about FOI, but if that's the answer then obviously that's another non-starter.

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4049 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks