• Tweets

• I googled "prescribed disability" to see where it is defined for the purposes of S.92. I found HMRC's definition, which included deafness. I don't  think anyone is saying deaf people cant drive, though! digging deeper,  Is it that “prescribed disability” (for the purposes of S.88 and S.92) is defined at: The Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1999 WWW.LEGISLATION.GOV.UK These Regulations consolidate with amendments the Motor Vehicles (Driving Licences) Regulations 1996...   ….. and sleep apnoea / increased daytime sleepiness is NOT included there directly as a condition but only becomes prescribed under “liability to sudden attacks of disabling giddiness or fainting” (but falling asleep isn't fainting!), so it isn’t defined there as a “prescribed disability”  Yet, under S.92(2)(b) RTA 1988 “ any other disability likely to cause the driving of a vehicle by him in pursuance of a licence to be a source of danger to the public" So (IMHO) sleep apnea / daytime sleepiness MIGHT be a prescribed disability, but only if it causes likelihood of "driving being a source of danger to the public" : which is where meeting / not meeting the medical standard of fitness to drive comes into play?  
    • You can counter a Judges's question on why you didn't respond by pointing out that any company that charges you with stopping at a zebra crossing is likely to be of a criminal mentality and so unlikely to cancel the PCN plus you didn't want to give away any knowledge you had at that time that could allow them to counteract your claim if it went to Court. There are many ways in which you can see off their stupid claim-you will see them in other threads  where our members have been caught by Met at other airports as well as Bristol.  Time and again they take motorists to Court for "NO Stopping" apparently completely forgetting that the have lost doing that because no stopping is prohibitory and cannot form a contract. Yet they keep on issuing PCNs because so many people just pay up . Crazy . You can see what chuckleheads they are when you read their Claim form which is pursuing you as the driver or the keeper. they don't seem to understand that on airport land because of the Bye laws, the keeper is never liable.   
    • The video-sharing app told the BBC that a "very limited" number of accounts had been compromised.View the full article
    • The King is the second monarch to appear on Bank of England notes which will be fed gradually into the system.View the full article
    • The King is the second monarch to appear on Bank of England notes which will be fed gradually into the system.View the full article
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Car gone

maxi1
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6489 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello there everyone

I hope to be able to contribute to this site and also have people contribute to my problems!

well here goes with my first problem!

Today at 6.30am Drakes Bailiffs dropped a note through my door saying I owe £998 in unpaid fines and costs and that they would be taking my car in payment

firstly this is the first letter i have had from Drakes and secondly my car is on hp. When i went and told the bailiff about the car being on HP and that it was not mine to give to them he said it did not matter and then the truck came and took it. As i need the car for work i am at home today trying to make sense of this.

any advice would be much apppreciated.

Hi Maxi

Could you start a new thread here:

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/debt-bailiffs-advice/

And you will get the help you need here and good luck:)

DONT FORGET TO DONATE TO THIS SITE WHEN YOU WIN THANKYOU

If you dont it wont be here:x

Let battle commence!!!!!:mad:

All advice and opinions given by people on this site are personal, and are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, please seek qualified professional legal Help.

Guest Zooman

You need to inform the HP company today that their car has been took in payment of parking fines (I know it may not be but they will understand more if you say that) by the bailiffs. There is not much more you can do today beyond going with the money and paying them.

You will have to pay them but the question is how much? and can they take the car?

Only If this is Council Tax.

What I would also suggest is you phone the local magaratie court and make an appeal in connection with distress under The Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992 46.1.

Appeals in connection with distress

46.—(1) A person aggrieved by the levy of, or an attempt to levy, a distress may appeal to a magistrates' court.

(2) The appeal shall be instituted by making complaint to a justice of the peace, and requesting the issue of a summons directed to the authority which levied or attempted to levy the distress to appear before the court to answer to the matter by which the person is aggrieved.

(3) If the court is satisfied that a levy was irregular, it may order the goods distrained to be discharged if they are in the possession of the authority; and it may by order award compensation in respect of any goods distrained and sold of an amount equal to the amount which, in the opinion of the court, would be awarded by way of special damages in respect of the goods if proceedings were brought in trespass or otherwise in connection with the irregularity under regulation 45(7).

(4) If the court is satisfied that an attempted levy was irregular, it may by order require the authority to desist from levying in the manner giving rise to the irregularity.

I will post your grounds ASAP

the notice does not state what they have charged this section has been left blank so as the parking penalty charge, bailiffs attendance costs, removal costs and VAT on bailiffs costs just "total amount due today £966.26" has been filled in.

Guest Zooman

did you get hold of Hp company. You must get a break down of fees to fight this, they have to give you one in law but they will not give it easily.

When

Thanks Zooman

what i intend to do today (slowly as at work!) but have written letter to the court asking them to order bailliff to return the car as it on hp bailiff was not entitled to take as it belongs to HP co, am faxing the baliff to give breakdown of costs and to return car for same reasons and finally ringing HP co. (rang them yesterday and they said bailiff will eventually ring them if i do not collect car asap) and in strong terms letting them know they must demand return of car as it belongs to them. I will be faxing all parties. Yesterday tried to phone bailiff (he left mobile no on notice) kept going to voicemail, rang bailiff office kept on hold (0870 no. for 15 mins! no one took call rang 4 times each time for 15 mins)

Don't forget to search SAYNOTO0870.COM - Non-Geographical Alternative Telephone Numbers on their 0870 number to see if they have a normal landline number listed. At least the next time you call them you won't be boosting their profits by using the 0870 number.

Edit. This is their head office number - 01992 703700 . You might be able to get through to their call centre via that. Their web address is Drakes Group - Certified bailiffs, total civil enforcement and debt recovery solutions, certificated bailiff

Hi again,

i managed to speak to a manager at black horse (Hp company) who told me that Black horse would not ask for the car to be returned as I am not in arrears with my acccount with them! Anyway i told them that the car belongs to them and legally bailiffs should not have taken a car on HP but he was adamant that i would need to sort this out with bailiffs and to keep them informed but in the meantime i must continue to pay for car.

i have fired off faxed letter to the court in terms of letting them know that the bailiff acted beyond his powers in taking hp car and that he did not give me a breakdown of what i owed and i have copied the court letter to Drakes Bailiffs by email.

will keep you informed.

thanks for all the help and advice so far it is really encouraging

Hello maxi1

I'm really sorry to here about all the s*** your in. I have a few similar problems at the moment. A debt collector was supposed to come and see me between 9-9 today, but they did'nt turn up. Mine is due to unpaid council tax. I'm trying to hold them off at present till my cases with unlawful charges are concluded. If they are successful, they will give me enough money to pay them off.

I really don't know how to deal with these people or situations. Why on earth do we get ourselves in this mess?! On the other hand I do think a lot is to do with the high tax system in this country, all the tax I pay is a joke!

Anyway, sorry to rant a little, but by reading your thread I wish I could be of more help to you.

Hope all turns out good in the end, and keep your chin up, don't let the b******* grind you down!!!!!

Phil:)

This is only my personal, honest opinion!

If they are certified as they claim demand the bailiffs number & the court that certified them..

Also word of caution this is important check your agreement with Black Horse. does it say its a personal loan.

There's a bit of an issue going on at the moment with Black Horse & their dealer car finance. Check this out The Black Horse car finance saga ... in The AnswerBank: Money & Finance

A personal loan normaly means you DO own the car from the outset & it should not be registered with HPI. But BH are registering such financed cars which they should only do if they had sold them on ordinary HP.

Also this might be why the guy at BH didn't want to get involved.

Hate saying this but your best & immeadiate course of action appears to be pay them get back your car then start you action to reclaim their charges & also possibly the parking fines which may have been invalidated by the way they where issued

philread1 and Joncris thanks for messages.

looking at the agreement it says it is a hp agreement and the goods do not become my property until i have made all the payments.

Right now am hoping that court (who signed bailiff notice shoreditch & Clerkenwell) will agree that bailiff acted outside of powers and refer back to court. i have not had post yet today (as at work) but will let you know.

Received a letter from Drakes yesterday saying as you know we have your car if you can't pay send us keys and docs for car so they can sell it quickly to settle debt. I know they cannot do this as BH own the car. Sent a copy of Drakes letter to BH. I feel BH were not being helpful cos i am sure they use Drakes themselves when they have to repossess vehicles from customers! but we shall see.....

Guest Zooman

I emailed someone in the know earlier and I got an email back. I edited the personal stuff.

Hi Ashley,

When the bailiffs that we use (for penalty charge notices) initially receive an account they run a DVLA check to establish ownership of the vehicle. Once the account reaches levy stage they will then run a HPI Check to establish if the vehicle is actually owned by the defendant or whether it has been purchased under finance.

It sounds, in this instance, that the bailiffs in question haven't followed this procedure (our bailiffs xxxxxxxxxxx) so perhaps are acting unlawfully.

I wouldn't know what to comment in terms of the "defendant" seeking redress, but would suggest they pay up first, seek financial compensation secondly.

Hope helps

xxx

Hi Zooman

thanks for that and also your friends advice.

It seems that Drakes did not care that it was on hp (they know the drill about checking first) and are hoping that i buckle and pay up and ask questions later, but i am going to pressure them and let them know that i know they acted illegally. As someone said earlier they do not reply to corrspondence post or email so i will register the letter i send to them today so i have this as evidence that i informed them of the position.

thanks

philread1 and Joncris thanks for messages.

looking at the agreement it says it is a hp agreement and the goods do not become my property until i have made all the payments.

Right now am hoping that court (who signed bailiff notice shoreditch & Clerkenwell) will agree that bailiff acted outside of powers and refer back to court. i have not had post yet today (as at work) but will let you know.

Received a letter from Drakes yesterday saying as you know we have your car if you can't pay send us keys and docs for car so they can sell it quickly to settle debt. I know they cannot do this as BH own the car. Sent a copy of Drakes letter to BH. I feel BH were not being helpful cos i am sure they use Drakes themselves when they have to repossess vehicles from customers! but we shall see.....

I'm still concerned because if it was legaly still BH's property they would be demanding it's return. I'm concerned that you could still lose the car for a pittance but continue to pay the finance.

Also a point worth noting is that to allow this to happen to your car is usually a breach of most loan agreements as you are required to take all reasonable steps to protect the lenders interest

The T&C of a finance agreement can determine what it is (not just what it claims to be). For example does it allow you to return the car in good condition fair wear & tear accepted without penalty after half is paid. Does it say that they can only repossess the car by order of the court if you have paid over 1/3.

If it does not you should take it to your nearest CAB & request someone there have a look at it & confrim which it is

In the meantime don't mention any of the above to Drakes as whatever the type of contract it's best they think it is on HP.

As has already been advised try & payup get your car back then go after the bums for whatever you can get.

You'll get a lot of help here cos we all hate DCA's & in particular baillifs & debt collecters who are nothing more than parasites who live off the misfortunes of others

Thanks Joncris

i don't know what black horse playing at either on that score, they just seem to have washed hands completely, i felt i would be in a strong position regarding the HP stance cos before i came to this site i saw lots of info on internet saying that bailffs cannot take HP car but that seems to have gone by wayside:mad:

gonna call BH and ask to speak to legal dept keep you informed

Hello maxi1

That seems like a good suggestion by zooman, if you can do it, try and pay what they want now, and take the fight to them after. Its also a quicker way to get your car back I presume, as I don't think the b******* will give it back to you without a decent fight either.

Hope all goes well for you

Phil:)

This is only my personal, honest opinion!

This whole case is a disgrace.

By law the bailiffs cannot take anything that does not belong to you.

They are breaking the law, simple.

The court that issued the warrant to the bailiff should be involved in getting this sorted.

Could the bailiffs be reported to the police for theft?.

All I ask is to be treated fairly and lawfully.