Had to cancel policy due to bad advice from Aviva

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5206 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi everyone

Long story short, insured with NU for past 5 years always cheapest by over £100 very pleased with their service until now.

Due to 2nd child and going camping decided to buy a people mover, due to small budget we opted for a Japanese import Toyota Estima Lucida (a bit like a Previa)

I checked online by getting a quote with NU and thought that was acceptable so bought the vehicle and then the online servicing would not let me change the policy so had to phone NU up, ok no problem....

After 10 mins or so on the phone (5 of which on hold!) I was told NU would not insure the vehicle because it's an import.

So I was at this point forced to cancel and buy elsewhere (Directline and they were slightly cheaper too)

So no NU want to hit me with a £40 charge for cancellation ok on the face of it as it is outlined in the policy book BUT NU DO insure this vehicle I know people in the owners club who use them AND you can insure the car thru the website ok.

Given that the only reason this policy had to be cancelled was due to the CS rep getting it wrong why should I have to foot the bill I was happy with NU.

I wrote to them and got a letter back that glibly dealt with the complaint in 1 paragraph then used the next 6 to tell me it's all in the policy book blah blah blah - gee thanks for that I CAN read!!

I have now written back escalating it to the chief execs office as per the complaint booklet.

Bit miffed tbh I know it's only £40 but...

Follow this up.

Although NU do charge a cancellation fee they do waive this for certain things ( i.e deceased policyholder etc)

This would be deemed as risk not acceptable to NU, the cancellation fee should not be charged in this instance.

However, please check that the £40 is a cancellation fee and not just time that you've being insured for and not yet paid ( quite often happens with direct debit policies)

If you don't get any luck with the call centre just make a complaint online.

Thanks for the reply :)

But it's NOT risk unacceptable to NU because they DO insure this vehicle you can do so via their website and there are people in the owners club with them.

I agree with you that no admin fee should be due but for the reason I posted above, I would have happily kept the policy there but for the operator being lazy/giving the wrong advice that NU would not insure it

I've already made a complaint that was the result of it, i've now following their leaflet written to the chief execs office so we shall see, then on to the ombudsman if not

Seems a little strange that they haven't waivered this.

owners club is a different arm of the business than the direct side ( I take it your with the direct side?) Whilst I know that NUD should insure the car I also know it depends on the age of the vehicle etc ( sometimes people select a slightly different make model online to get a quote - then when trying to insure the car the above CAN happen and find that NUD WON'T insure the car)

Have you already followed 1st stage complaint?

Do you know this is definatly an admin fee and not just premium you still owe for the old car?

If you have recieved misleading/wrong advise then again I think this may end up in your favour.

I would also ask for a copy of the call where you were told by the advisor that you would be unable to insure the car.

Edited by cazzaswfc

No what I meant by owners club is just a few individuals the club doesnt endorse or have a deal with NU just a few people have found they got a good quote, which incidentally NU always did for us they were always over £100 cheaper than the next nearest and was always pleased with their service even when we had to claim they were brilliant and I was extremely sad to have to leave them.

Yes definitely an admin fee as the reply to our complaint addresses this and then rants on about it being in the policy handbook and it being agreed to when we took out the policy etc etc (for a further 4 paragraphs)

That was a stage one complaint so I have scalated to stage 2 as per the leaflet they sent which was to write to the Surrey St address at the Chief Execs dept

just what I was thinking LOL

let me know how you get on, be very suprised if this doesn't go in your favour.

From what you've stated you've cancelled your policy due to incorrect information given, then after finding insurance elsewhere and cancelling you've been charged the cancellation fee as Aviva DO insure the car after all? And being quoted wording in the policy booklet.

Insurers have a duty to "Treat Customer Fairly"

Hopefully the complaint handlers will think the same!

• 2 weeks later...
i feel sorry for people out there just not going to get paid out my house is on ImWorseOffThanYou.com ? IWOTY Home page if you want to see it

The direct link for the article is:

ImWorseOffThanYou.com • View topic - One Man's Protest against Insurance Giant

I met Dave Green and from what he told me the insurance company and loss adjusters have behaved in an amazingly unprofessional manner.

• 2 months later...

Neither has this!, but it is an open forum.

I agree, Aviva, Crawfords, Insure repair, Asprea, these companies are totally lacking in manners, professionalism, courtesy, understanding, my roof leak caused by storm damage was called in on the 22.1.10(morning) and it is now 24.1.10 (evening), all they have done is to pass me from one lackadaisical company to another more incompetent company.

How hard is it to arrange for someone to carry out repairs on a roof, all the responses I received were that I would have to arrange and pay for the work to be carried out myself, and that the monies for the work carried out may not be reimbursed.

Why do I pay these cretins an insurance policy, when they want myself to do their work for them. I have e-mailed who I can just now and the ombudsman too