Law on Landlord keeping copies of Tenancy Agreement?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5352 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi There,

I was wondering if someone can help me please?

I'm about to take my landlord to court, the (most vital!) piece of evidence I am missing is the copy of the tenancy agreement. I signed 3 of these during my overall tenancy, and each time he told me he would "make a copy and post it to you". he never did...

Am I right in thinking by law he has to keep copies of these in any case?? Does anyone know the law on this please??

Thank you! x

Hi There!

Thank you for replying - it was a private landlord, not an organisation- does this make a difference?

Thank you! x

I am a "private landlord".

Generally you will have a short assured tenancy in Scots law - but it differs in England - but will still normally be some form of assured tenancy.

The information on these things is pretty dire - but Shelter offers good legal advice for each part of the country.

Shelter, the housing and homelessness charity - choose your location

They also have a free phone number you can call - and its free from most mobiles too as its a charity.

0808 800 4444

The standards from many landlords are dire too. Many tenants I have had have been surprised when I return their deposits at the end of their stay, based on previous experience.

I was under the impression I should keep copies of everything for three years - as that is what the income tax people had said was relevant for small scale letting, but I felt six years was a better bet.

There is a difference between your landlord having something - and to letting you have it if it works against them.

Where are you?

Lastly - you can increase any threat to your landlord (if he is dodgy) as generally, they or the property is not registered under a local authority landlord registration scheme, or they will not bother to have gas inspections done (which can carry a £5000 fine and six months in prison - but sadly HSE only bother when someone in a let without this is killed.

I am a "private landlord".

Generally you will have a short assured tenancy in Scots law - but it differs in England - but will still normally be some form of assured tenancy.

Why have you assumed that OP is in Scotland?

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice

Hi There!

Thank you for replying - it was a private landlord, not an organisation- does this make a difference?

Thank you! x

No, this should not make any difference. If LL is letting a property, it is a business and of course you should have had a copy of any agreement you signed. Suggest you do as raydetinu has suggested and see how you get on.

Kentish Lass

Information given is based on my knowledge and experience and is not to be considered as legal advice