uptoeyeballs v American Express credit card CCA

uptoeyeballs
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4933 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Nothing from the court as yet. I know it's not been long, but the suspense...

Amex have sent a SAR follow up with a default notice template with the 14 day wording which would have beem good enough when it was 7 days after service.

It could be a mistake/fob off or they are trying to set me up. I suspect the latter.

So, I'm hunting for an early 2005 default notice. If anyone has posted/spotted one a link would be appreciated. Will obviously ask permission to use in court if the need arises.

uteb

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello UTEB!

I think in 2005, they may have been using the wording payment within 10 calendar days from the date of this Notice. So, if they are saying they said 14 days, they are almost certainly lying.

The 10 days is a PITA, but it's invalid, because it does not allow 7 clear days even when Posted 1st Class on a Working Monday:

Monday

Tuesday = Amex Day 1

Wednesday

Thursday = Amex Day 3 - 1st Clear Day

Friday = Amex Day 4 - 2nd Clear Day

Saturday = Amex Day 5 - 3rd Clear Day

Sunday = Amex Day 6 - 4th Clear Day

Monday = Amex Day 7 - 5th Clear Day

Tuesday = Amex Day 8 - 6th Clear Day

Wednesday = Amex Day 9 - 7th Clear Day

Thursday = = Amex Day 10 Payment within this

Thus, Parliament demands that you are given 7 clear days from Service, so the earliest deadline they can set would be the last Thursday above. Whereas they want payment within 10 calendar days, so Parliament says you must pay by the last Thursday, whereas they want payment within ten calendar days, so that would suggest Wednesday before, although in this extreme example where every single factor is in their favour, it's right on the borderline.

So, the real killer for them is class of Postage, date of the Notice, and the day they Posted.

They like to Date their Notices on Sundays, so that would sink them, because it would bring their deadline further into the clear days that Parliament demands you must be given.

Likewise, if they cannot prove 1st Class, then add at least +2 working days to the Postage (i.e. more if a weekend follows straight after Postage), and that sinks them, because their own Deadline is then moved still further into the clear days that Parliament demands you must have.

Finally, if they Posted on, say, a Friday, then even 1st Class has the weekend added to the Postage, so this rats it up for them even further.

OK, get onto Google, and hunt out a late 2005 or early 2006 Arsemex DN to show what wording they were using.

HTH

Cheers,

BRW

Edited by banker_rhymes_with
Typo

The 10 days is a PITA

Cheers BRW!

Not found a default notice from the right period as yet, but I like this from Rankine:

The default notice was sent under cover of a letter dated 18 January 2005. It. was stated to enclose a default notice and required rectification of the situation within 10 days. It stated the current balance to be £5,978.66, arrears to be £347.00 and credit limit £5,800.00.The default notice under the heading “Description of the breach” set out the figures as in the previous paragraph and went on to say:

Now where's my 2005 calandar.....

uteb

Ok, so the dates look like this:

Wednesday

Thursday = Amex Day 1

Friday

Saturday = Amex Day 3 - 1st Clear Day

Sunday = Amex Day 4 - 2nd Clear Day

Monday = Amex Day 5 - 3rd Clear Day

Tuesday = Amex Day 6 - 4th Clear Day

Wednesday = Amex Day 7 - 5th Clear Day

Thursday = Amex Day - 6th Clear Day

Friday = Amex Day 9 - 7th Clear Day

Saturday = Amex Day 10 Payment within this

Sunday = Amex Day 11 - 9th Clear Day

Monday = Amex Day 12 - 10th Clear Day

Tuesday

So, I think, unless it was 2nd class it's ok.

It does show that the template is not the correct one though.

uteb.

• 1 month later...

Hello!

No long until my set aside application hearing. Not having done this before I'm unsure of what will happen.

I think:

- I check with the court a few days before to make sure nothing has changed

- I don't do anything else before the hearing

- I turn up with 3 copies of the application, WS, exhibits and case law

- at the hearing I explain why I did not originally defend, the delay and set out my defence. Basically what is in my WS.

Is that right?

Thanks.

uteb

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Didn't get what I wanted and took the hit on costs, but actually, I don't feel that bad about it and the judge and other side were quite reasonable.

I had originally started this as a set aside, but it became apparent after the N1 was was submitted that was not the way to go.

I learnt a lot from that short visit to the court. Having never been in a court I had little idea what to expect.

So onto the useful stuff to share.....

The judge confirmed I could not set aside a judgment under admission.

He was receptive to CPR 14 and although I had prepared well what would be my defence I hadn't put much effort into CPR 14, although I think it unlikely I would have got a different outcome.

Under CPR 14 information you have only just got hold of, but could have had if you sought it at the time of the original claim do not count as new evidence.

Under CPR 14 the fact that someone gave you bad advice doesn't help. Your recourse is back to person/company that gave you that advice.

Amex kindly offered some information on their skeleton argument (which suggests they thought a withdrawal of admission possible) and apart from the usual Rankine/Carey there were 2 I've never heard of and cannot find on the forum, although they also kindly provided hard copies of these. Amex v Brandon and Amex v Harrison.

I'm going to read up on these as from a quick skim they seem to be concerned with a blank back being acceptable.

Off for now, be back if I find anything useful.

uteb

Sorry to hear this, uteb, but you seem quite positive about the outcome.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

Im lead to believe that Amex v Brandon is going to Court of Appeal? Can anyone shed any light on this?

My Posts exist exclusively to assist me in preparing litigation against another party.

As such, it is almost certainly protected by litigation privilege.

The legal requirements for claiming litigation privilege are well established and are not in dispute.

Communication between a solicitor, or the client, or a third party will be protected by litigation privilege where the communications are for the dominent purpose of obtaining legal advice in connection with, or conducting litigation in prospect: Re: "Highgate Traders Limited (1984)"BCLC 151.

Copyright Information: All information contained in this website , Associated websites, and Forum posts are Copyright "Reclaim The Right Ltd". If you wish to use the information on this site for publication elsewhere then please email the administrator for permission.

Im lead to believe that Amex v Brandon is going to Court of Appeal? Can anyone shed any light on this?

The document I have says the appeal was dismissed on 25/5/10.

I need to get some time to read these properly because I think it will help others.

Brandon was in the High Court, but Harrison looks like County.

Of course, if someone already knows these cases maybe they could comment....

The document I have says the appeal was dismissed on 25/5/10.

I need to get some time to read these properly because I think it will help others.

Brandon was in the High Court, but Harrison looks like County.

Of course, if someone already knows these cases maybe they could comment....

The 25th May decision was the High Court sitting at a County Court, I thought that it was now being taken to the Court of Appeal subsequent to that decision.

My Posts exist exclusively to assist me in preparing litigation against another party.

As such, it is almost certainly protected by litigation privilege.

The legal requirements for claiming litigation privilege are well established and are not in dispute.

Communication between a solicitor, or the client, or a third party will be protected by litigation privilege where the communications are for the dominent purpose of obtaining legal advice in connection with, or conducting litigation in prospect: Re: "Highgate Traders Limited (1984)"BCLC 151.

Copyright Information: All information contained in this website , Associated websites, and Forum posts are Copyright "Reclaim The Right Ltd". If you wish to use the information on this site for publication elsewhere then please email the administrator for permission.