Benefits eaten away by charges

Freya
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6616 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hello Everyone

This is my first visit as a member of this forum I have looked before but I wasn't sure if it applied to me. As a single parent (with depression and agoraphobia) for the past few years,I have lived on benefit I have a child still at school.

The Lloyds TSB has taken month after month almost all of the benefit leaving us nothing to live on and no way of paying the bills they just knock them back and charge me again. If people weren't pressured into having benefits paid into the bank this wouldn't happen I could have paid so much in each week to cover my bills.

It is a neverending cycle as the money goes in they take it out so I have no hope of ever catching up during June last year they took almost £200 then again in July £160 August £160 and so it goes on altogether they have taken nearly £1000.They gave me an overdraft for £400 decreasing at £40 per month this has now come to an end.Any advice on whether I would be able to claim D/D S/O and overdraft charges plus interest back? from the FAQ 's etc and all the great information I think I may be able too but confirmation would be good.

Sorry I have moaned on a little to much I do appreciate the wealth of information on this site and thank everyone

Kind Regards

Freya

Yes you can. read the FAQs etc again. read the forum material. take a couple of days until you understand the issues and what you are doing. Then come back and ask questions.

Hello Freya!

You moan away! I too have had similar problems with them.

They recently charged me £105 to bounce two DD's which totalled £108.50!

TOTAL INSANITY!

Good luck with reading all the FAQs and Step by Step guide. It can be quite daunting but Bankfodder, Dave and the moderators are a great help if you get stuck.

LOULA

Dear Freya

Is your bank account a basic bank account if so the bank are not allowed to take your benefit to pay for charges. If not I recommend you go to your bank and ack them to open a basic bank account, or Better still go to the Jobcentre and ask them for a Post Office Introduction letter and open an account their. You can get your benefit paid directly into it without the bank touching it. The Jobcentre may be unwilling to do this because we are not supposed to push this because it costs the goverment more money, I also recommend you go to citizens advice, who can help with any other debts. But then follow action on forum. and get your money back from Bank

Dear Donna

Thank you for the information I suffer from Agoraphobia I can't go outside,is there any way that my local Jobcentre could post the letter to me?

My account is a classic account with LloydsTSB I use it to have my benefit paid in and to pay my bills from it.I was in credit until 2003 they knocked back a couple of DD. In 2005 when I had a problem with Income Support I had no money from them for 6 weeks just my child benefit £17-55p.The biggest problem is that I need a bank account that my daughter can get money out of she does all the shopping etc for me she uses my ATM card or I transfer money via the phone bank to her account which is also with Lloyds. I don't know if a basic bank account would suffice. The only other is my water bill that I can not pay because of the charges on my account.There would not have been any problem if they had not taken almost £1000 pounds of my benefit. Thank you

Regards Freya

Hello Loula

Thank you for the support it is most welcome as is everyones on here.There is light at the end of the tunnel after all.

Bankfodder, Dave and the moderators thanks too

:D Regards Freya

• 12 years later...

This topic was closed on 03/07/19.

If you have a problem which is similar to the issues raised in this topic, then please start a new thread and you will get help and support there.

If you would like to post up some information which is relevant to this particular topic then please flag the issue up to the site team and the thread will be reopened.

- Consumer Action Group

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6616 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks