When should I apply for SORN and MOT refund?

bagodei
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5428 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I want to apply for a SORN tomorrow and then get a refund for the remaining month on my tax disk. I'm a bit confused about the procedure however and the help documents haven't been much use.

I am taking my car off the road today (28th July) as my MOT expires at 23:59.

When I try to apply for a sorn online I am told that the SORN start date is 01/07/09. Should I continue with the procedure or wait until the 5th of next month so the start date reads 01/08/09.

If I have to wait until the 5th of August is it fine to have the car without an MOT and uninsured parked off the road without notifying the DVLA. Also can I still apply for the tax refund from the 28/7/09 or will I have to wait and get a refund from the 01/07/09?

Thanks in advance for any help!

Tax refunds can only be claimed for whole months anyway, so the current VED will run till 31st July. You must, however, apply for the refund on or before the last day of this month otherwise you will be in to August and loose another month's tax.

I see no reason why you can't take the car off the road now as you are not required to inform DVLA that the MOT has expired, as long as you aren't driving it on the road. The same is true for insurance.

NB "Parked off the road" must mean parked completely off any bit of land maintained by the council. So as long as you are putting it in your private drive or garden you are fine. Don't even put it back on the street while you cut the grass or paint your shed or they'll be down on you like vultures!

Thankyou very much for the replies.

My concern is with the SORN. When I try to apply online, the SORN start date will only show 01 / 07 / 2009. Obviously I have been driving for 28 extra days from the stated start date. I would like to know if it is fine to continue with the form given that I am forced to enter an earlier start date than the actual date I had the car off the road?

Also gwc1000, I just wanted to confirm that checking the box in section 3 of the V14 means that I shouldn't need to complete the SORN online anyway?

Thanks again.

If you complete the V14 and send it off, you shouldn't have to apply on-line for SORN.

However, I would send the form now for refund/SORN and also apply SORN on-line after the 1st August - just to be sure.

I would say good advise from patdavies to belts and brases it. Knowing how the DVLA work, they'll no doubt still look for a loophole to try and get some fines clocked up.

If you're reclaiming VED then the vehicle ceases to be taxed from that date. By definition it should be SORNed the day after it becomes untaxed to keep you legal. The reason the online service is quoting 01/07/09 is because its a real-time system and because we are in July. If you go online on 01/08/09 it will work.