• Tweets

• Have we seen your court bundle?   If we haven't then it's probably an idea to post it up here especially the index page and the witness statement so we can see if there is anything which might need adding or changing 
    • "Care to briefly tell someone who isn't tech savvy - i.e. me! - how you did this?" Its pretty simple although not obvious. You open the google maps app > click your profile picture > Click Timeline from the list > click today > choose the date you want to see the timeline from. Then you'll see your timeline for that day. Often, places you have visited will have a question mark beside them where google wants you confirm you have actually visited. You either click 'yes' if you have, or you click 'edit' to enter the actual place you visited. Sometimes, you'll see 'Missing visit' This probably happens if your internet connection has dropped out at that time. You simply click 'Add visit' and enter the place. The internet on my crappy phone often loses connection so I have to do that alot.   OK dx, understood mate. 
    • I have now been given a court date vs Evri, 4th Sept 2024. I have completed my court bundle, when am I expected to send copies to the court and Evri and should it be in hard copy or electronic? The Notice of Allocation states that no later than 7 days before the directions hearing both parties must send to the other party their final offers to settle. Does this mean I will have to tell Evri what I'm willing to settle? Rgds, J
    • Ok how about this to the CEO? I know it sounds super desperate but lets call a spade a spade here, I am super desperate: Dear Sir, On 29th November 2023 I took out a loan of £5000 with you. Unfortunately very early into 2024 I found myself in financial difficulty (unexpected bills and two episodes of sickness and the tax office getting my tax code wrong resulting in less pay for two months) and I contacted you (MCB) on 13th February 2024 asking if there was any way I could extend the length of my loan to 36 months. I fully explained why I was requesting this and asked for your help. I did not receive a reply to that email so I again contacted you on 7th March 2024 to advise you of a change in my circumstances which resulted in me having to take out a DMP and asking you to confirm that the direct debit had been cancelled. You would have also received confirmation of this DMP from StepChange but you did not acknowledge receipt of my email. I have only managed to make one payment from my loan but did try and contact MCB to discuss extending my loan, help etc.  I have now therefore fallen behind on several of my debts, yours included, and as a result you have lodged a Cifas marker against my name for "evasion of payment", which has resulted in me having to change banks, which has been an extremely difficult process because of the Cifas marker. I do not feel you have been fair or given me the opportunity to fully explain my situation to you before you lodged the marker against my name. I appreciate it is a business and you have acted accordingly, but I did try to make contact to arrange alternative arrangements and at no point, not even to this day, did I ever intend to not repay my loan. I cannot stress to you enough how much this has affected my mental health. I am having trouble sleeping and my existing health condition has been exacerbated by all of this. What I would like you to do is to please, please remove the Cifas marker and let me make arrangements to pay the loan back through a DMP.  Please sir, I am begging for your help here. I am not a dishonest person and I have never been in a situation like this before. I am desperately trying to make things right but this marker is killing me. Please can you help me? I look forward to hearing from you. Yours faithfully,
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Hardship case

oscar21
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5395 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am trying to help out a friend with a claim regarding unfair charges. The score is she has a current account with lloyds and has been stung for charges, its one of those £30 per day charges type. Anyway she has paid about £1000 of her own money in charges over the last couple of years and the account is aproximatley £1000 overdrawn entirley due to bank charges.

However for the last few years at least she has been recieving sickness benefit and this has been her only income, when the benefit landed in her account most was swallowed up because of the charges. We have done the SAR and sent off the first letter asking for the payment back, mentioning the hardship. They have replied with the usual bumph and refering it to collections etc.

What is the next step, as its a clear cut hardship case do we now inform the ombudsman or just continue with the court route. How do you make the court act on a genuine hardship case instead of staying it?

Also I take it we are right in asking for the full £2000 or so back, and some of this would pay back the overdraft, after all you cant walk away with what you have never had.

Just to say the lady in question would settle for the account just being closed and not be hassled anymore.

hmm, ok. Does she have priority debt arrears(mortgage/rent, council tax, utilities)?

Are any of the arrears being paid off?

And have I answered you on Moneysavingexpert as this sounds familiar to me ;) ?

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

And have I answered you on Moneysavingexpert as this sounds familiar to me ;) ?

No, they don't frequent MSE :p

Any advice I give is honest and in good faith.:)

If in doubt, you should seek the opinion of a Qualified Professional.

If you can, please donate to this site.

Help keep it up and active, helping people like you.

If you no longer require help, please do what you can to help others

RIP: Rooster-UK - MARTIN3030 - cerberusalert

No, they don't frequent MSE :p

You'll be amazed at the Groundhog days I have both here and there ;)

At times I have to double check the name of the forum and sometimes I even get it in triplicate :D

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

I would imagine most things get paid for her, she does have 3 kids though and is a single mother. How does the hardship thing work, would a court agree to proceed with the case if hardship can be proved or is there no legislation for this? If its just down to the banks to look into it then its not in their interests to agree to hardship and will obviously rebuf all of them, so whats the point in having a hardship clause.

Hi oscar21:)

I'm sure yourbank will be back to give you some more advice soon, but just to say that firstly banks only seem to be considering refunding to those people with priority debt arrears, such as mortgage/rent, council tax and/or utilities. Lloyds appear to be one of the worst for acknowledging hardship unfortunately and you are quite right to refer to what they have sent your friend as 'bumf' - we have been dealing with Lloyds for 5 months or so now and have had about 20 letters all spouting the same rhubarb back from them.

What your friend will need before you can proceed to the FOS is a Final Response letter from Lloyds detailing why they don't think she is in financial difficulties - that's assuming they don't accept that she is. Then your friend would need to send copies of all supporting evidence to the FOS along with her FOS Complaint Form and a letter detailing why she disagrees with the bank's Final Response.

Even if they do agree, the bank is under no obligation to repay anything - even under the hardship criteria, but could just freeze interest etc.

You say your friend would be happy for her account to be closed - Lloyds closed ours (they are not meant to do this as a result of a customer putting in a claim for a refund of charges) and they are still hassling us. They owe us more than twice what they say we owe them but still they persist in sending solicitors letters, DCA letters etc demanding payment in full. However, once you have disputed the charges your friend is within her rights to tell them the account is in dispute until the matter is resolved. If that means not until the OFT test case is resolved, then so be it.

Hope this helps.

Good luck and well done for helping your friend!

Regards,

Landy x

LTSB PPI on various loans (current/settled) - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 1 Charges - Refunded inc CI

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Charges - Refunded inc 8%

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 Accident Ins - Refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage Charges -Partially refunded

Swift Advances (settled) Mortgage PPI - Refunded inc CI & 8%

Sainsburys (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI +8%

Sainsburys (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI + 8%

M&S Money (closed) Card Charges - Refunded inc CI

M&S Money (closed) Card PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Direct Line (settled) Loan PPI - Refunded inc CI + 8%

Debenhams Card (closed) PPI - Refunded inc 8%

Swift Mortgage Charges -Refunded

Hitachi Finance (closed) Charges - Refunded

Landy just missed one important document from the list, an income and expenditure form ;).

Oh and one last thing. Are the banks allowed to chase for overdraft debts that are also made up of charges when the test case hasnt been finalised?

Sorry meant to post that on my thread

Oh and one last thing. Are the banks allowed to chase for overdraft debts that are also made up of charges when the test case hasnt been finalised?

Sorry meant to post that on my thread

Yes is the answer. You can always refer them back the fact that the account is in dispute.

I have everything in arrears and Lloyds still rejected me!!! Waiting for Ombudsman. Lloyds wash their hands!

Are you still using the account in question?

Did you have a financial hardship closure letter from Lloyds?

Have you argued that they are wrong based on when the hardship began(lifestyles change or 2(a) in the waiver) and how the charges have affected your ability to pay the PD arrears?

Apologies if I am going over old ground.

Not necessarily - if your friend has priority debt arrears of any kind it is still worth trying. Remember all bank charges claims will get stayed anyway, so if you go to the FOS there's nothing to lose really. If the FOS don't uphold your friend's complaint she can still file at court and get her money back when the banks eventually lose the test case;)

Regards,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

Not necessarily - if your friend has priority debt arrears of any kind it is still worth trying. Remember all bank charges claims will get stayed anyway, so if you go to the FOS there's nothing to lose really. If the FOS don't uphold your friend's complaint she can still file at court and get her money back when the banks eventually lose the test case;)

Regards,

Landy x

Landy, there are huge delays when people who are not in hardship go to the FOS unnecessarily. I never suggest that route unless I think that the bank is completely wrong in their decision making.

Landy, there are huge delays when people who are not in hardship go to the FOS unnecessarily. I never suggest that route unless I think that the bank is completely wrong in their decision making.

Hi yourbank:)

I think you misunderstood what I meant here - I wasn't trying to suggest they should go to the FOS if they are not a hardship case - that's why I said if there were PD arrears it was still worth trying.

I don't believe the OP explained whether there were priority debt arrears or not, but if there are, then isn't the FOS the way forward if the bank says no and they disagree with the decision?

Admittedly from what they have said they are a long way from this point at the moment anyway, but I got the impression that maybe I had put them off trying by my previous post and didn't want them to feel it was a totally fruitless task!

Apologies if I got it wrong;)

Regards,

Landy x

MBNA 1 PPI - Refunded

MBNA 2 PPI - Refunded

I think the rent and council tax etc get paid by the social, and gas/elec are on card meters, and I dont think people on the sick are on a bad screw either. I thought just by being on the social automatically qualified you as being a hardship case.

On a side note, if you were owed money in charges and run up an overdraft to that amount and then told them to get lost (after getting no joy on a refund) then they took you to court for that amount, what would happen if you counterclaimed for the bank charges amount? they could'nt stay the counterclaim whilst allowing the calim surley.