Local Housing Allowance and Council Tax Benefit

kregrs
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5396 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My partner and I currently get Local Housing Allowance and Council Tax Benefit, this has been the case since September 08. Our last tenancy ran out at end of March this year, so when we'd found somewhere to move to, new tenancies were signed in mid March, 14th to be exact. How do we stand regards Council Tax? At the moment we're being charged for the 2 weeks that the tenancy overlaps, as benefit cant be paid on 2 houses at once, but we honestly cant afford to pay as it stands at the min, even more so now they have a liability order.

It was left empty, new tenancy started on 14th March, we didnt move in until 28th March, between those dates the house was empty, we had the keys but weren't living there.

Hi kregrs,

I had a recent experience with council tax arrears too and would suggest you either write or arrange to go and meet the revenues section at your local council asap. If the debt gets to the stage where it's passed to a bailiff then it is very difficult then to negotiate a reduced/staged payment whereas the council may be able to offer say a £1 a month repayment plan.

Hope this helps

PS

You cannot be made to pay for two premises, only your main home. They can't both be your main home as the regulations state:

You cannot have more than one main home for council tax purposes.