BT disconnected line in error

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5485 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

My first post here, so hello!

As per the title really, I discovered my fixed BT phoneline wasn't working on Tuesday (26th May), so called the fault line expecting there to have been some kind of technical problem. I was then informed that my line had been disconnected due to the account holders death. Being the account holder this came as some surprise!

At this point BT were adament that they had not made a mistake and that they had indeed been informed of my death by someone who knew my account number and the answers to all of my security questions. They'd not written to my address nor made any arrangement to return the £111 by which my account is in credit.

Anyway to cut to the chase, I asked to be reconnected, which they said they would do and would waive the reconnection fee and I told me I wouldn't have to sign up to a new 12 month contract (thanks!).

I also fired off an email to Ian Livingstone (CEO) late last-night and was called this morning, with an admission that someone at BT had made a mistake, an offer of two months line rental free but no firm date on when my line will be reconnected (up to 7 days).

I said I'd think about it.

Does this seem like a reasonable offer?

I've had to spend £15 on a local wireless broadband service, as obviously with no BT line I had no internet (and I work from home), I've had to spend money on mobile calls and as my wife and I have recently been bereaved we found the whole suggestion from BT that I had 'died' to be quite upsetting.

I'm also waiting to see if a simple reconnection of my line will mean my broadband (supplied by Orange) will just start working again or whether this service will have to be set up again too.

Finally, have BT broken their contract by doing this? I'm dismayed by the whole affair and have been looking at Sky instead. The thing is I signed up with BT for a 12 month contract in March 2008 and I think that contract rolled forward (without BT asking me of course) in March 2009. Where would I stand on this?

yes the contract continues. On the basis of what you say, British Telecom have reached their contract to you. They contract may disclaim any consequential loss. However they have also acted negligently towards you and so if your losses are not recoverable on the basis of the contract, they may well be recoverable in negligence.

I think that you should hold off accept seen anything yet. Write to them and tell them that their offer is noted but not accept it at this point. You are waiting for your line to be reconnected, to see if your broadband connection will still work and generally to understand the full extent of your losses. When you have done this you will write to them and tell them what it is you want. Make it clear to them that if they will not settle with you on a satisfactory basis that you will Sue them in the County Court.

Don't bother to say this if you are only bluffing.

Thanks for the response.

So are BT really not in breach of contract after cutting me off? They blamed an employee who wasn't fully trained and therefore presumably keyed in the wrong digits somewhere along the line. I don't have BT's response in writing, should I?

Primarily I'm not looking to escape my contract, or bluffing, but if this causes ongoing problems with my broadband then I'll want to leave BT. My broadband comes free with my mobile contract and I can cancel at any time.