• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

1st credit and Lloyds TSB Platinum credit card

hunterandthehunted
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4882 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

i have decided to go for a strike out on the grounds that **** have not complied with any of the directions order which should have been filed to all parties by the 13 november 2009 and in not doing so are preventing me from preparing a defence.

regards

hunterandthehunted

• Replies 631
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks for that,

a lot of money for me to part with, so before committing to a strike out application i need to establish whether the application by **** to have part of the order set aside whether they are obliged to comply with the other conditions of the order or does the process start again.:confused:

forgive me for keep asking this question but i dont want to apply for the sake of it.

I Notice That **** Only Paid £40 For Their Application To Set Aside Default Notice

is this ok for the order i am seeking

I WISH TO APPLY THAT THIS CASE BE STRUCK OUT AS THE CLAIMANT HAS FAILED TO COMPLY WITH THE DIRECTIONS MADE BY DISTRICT JUDGE ************ ON THE 26TH OCTOBER.

and is this ok for the evidence

1/ ON THE 26TH OCTOBER 2009 DISTRICT JUDGE ********* MADE AN ORDER ALLOCATING THIS CLAIM TO FAST TRACK.

2/ WITHIN THIS ORDER IT WAS ORDERED THAT THE PARTIES GIVE STANDARD DISCLOSURE TO ALL PARTIES BY SERVING COPIES WITH A DISCLOSURE STATEMENT BY 4PM ON 13 NOVEMBER 2009.

3/ WITHIN THIS ORDER AT 2 (A) IT IS ORDERED THAT THE CLAIMANT DISCLOSES COPIES OF THE CREDIT AGREEMENT ALONG WITH ANY DOCUMENTS REFERRED TO WITHIN IT.

4/ WITHIN THIS ORDER AT 2 © IT IS ORDERED THAT THE CLAIMANT DISCLOSES STATEMENTS DATED FROM JUNE 2002 TO NOVEMBER 2006.

5/ THE CLAIMANT HAS APPLIED FOR SET ASIDE ON SECTION 2 (B)

6/IT IS BELIEVED THAT THE CLAIMANT IS MERELY TRYING TO FRUSTRATE THE DEFENDANT AND TO HOLD UP PROCEEDINGS.

regards

hunterandthehunted

Ok, I've just read back through and noticed its not an "unless order"... You should be warned that IMHO there are three possible outcomes to an application for strike out...

1) The judge dismisses the application

2) The judge issues an "unless order" giving them more time to produce

3) The judge strikes it out.

I respectfully ask the court to strike out this claim due to non-compliance with the court order dated xx/xx/xxxx by district judge xxxxxxxxxxxx.

IMO You need to state clearly which bits have not been complied with, eg.

3/ Within this order at 2(a) it is ordered that the claimant discloses copies of the credit agreement along with any documents referred to within it. As of the date of this application and outside of the date of disclosure ordered by the court in the aforementioned court order the claimant has failed to comply with this section, the terms and conditions for the agreement which are clearly referred to in the agreement have not been sent. (or whatever bits are missing)

4/ within this order at 2© it is ordered that the claimant discloses statements dated from June 2002 to Novemeber 2006. As of the date of this application and outside of the date of disclosure ordered by the court in the aforementioned court order no copies of statements have been received.

S.

• Haha 1

yes it does, i am going to get the strike out application filed soon but am still wondering whether or not i have to get a WS in as per original directions or do i wait until the application by **** to set aside has been heard.

argh just had i thought,

could i include this on the application....

it is respectfully requested that The Directions of the Order dated 27th October 2009 be put on hold pending the outcome of this application and also the outcome of the claimants application to set aside dated ******, the hearing being in feb 2010.

regards

hunterandthehunted

An application for strikeout should as far as I understand it stop all normal processing on court... as mentioned earlier the trouble is the timescales are so tight.

Might be worth contacting the court and advising you will seek a strike out and ask if you have to comply with the witness statement prior to the application being heard/put before a judge?

The judge on seeing your application and their's for set aside may decide to look at the two things together, it could mean a re-issue of disclosure instructions minus the section the claimant are moaning about but including an "unless order" for the bits you want..

S.

ok thats the application to have the case struck out sorted out, thanks for that shadow.

now i need to make a start on the WS, I have had a good look at some

examples on the site but none really correspond to may case and i dont

really now where to start.

some advice would be most welcome...

no joy on that one then....

can someone explain the difference between a witness statement and a full defense and also what form its submitted on. i have 6 days left to

have this ready as my contingency plan

regards

hunterandthehunted

A witness statement is a "beefed" up defence.

Foolish Girl has posted some information to help another CAGer, in the following link.

I have copied over some information for you as well. If you read from post 120 onwards, things will make sense and give you some idea of what you need.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/210585-claim-struck-out-can-12.html#post2583068

1. Re. your defence Clynite, IMO it needs the first para altering to:

'I, xxxx, am a Litigant in Person and make the following defence to reinstatement of this claim by xxxx for the following reasons:'

2. Re. your WS Clynite, I've included notes supplied by pt that you might find helpful & in the following post suggestions for your WS. I don't know all the facts, dates etc. so please amend to suit you.

3. Don't forget to end both your defence & WS with statement of truth or they may not be admitted by the court.

4. Each Exhibit has to be numbered & a separate sheet of paper attached thus:

Defendant

Number: [1st] [2nd]

Exhibits: [“DEF1”]

Date:

IN THE XXX COUNTY COURT

Claim No:

BETWEEN

[________]

Claimant

and

[________]

Defendant

EXHIBIT “DEF1”

This is the exhibit marked “DEF1” referred to in the witness statement of Clynite dated

------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

Guidance Notes on Witness Statements

The general rule is that any fact which needs to be proved by the evidence of witnesses is to be proved at trial by their oral evidence given in public and, at any other hearing, by their evidence in writing.

CPR r.32 and CPR PD 32 set out the formal requirements for written evidence, including witness statements. These are summarised below.

Format of the witness statement

The top right hand corner of the first page should contain:

·The party on whose behalf the statement is made;

·The initials and surname of the witness;

·The number of the statement in relation to that witness, e.g. 1st, 2nd, etc.

·The identifying initials and number of each exhibit referred to in the statement. For example, if it is the witness’s first statement and it refers to three exhibits, these should be referred to as “ABC1” to “ABC3”. In a subsequent witness statement in the same proceedings, further exhibits would start at “ABC4”;

·The date the statement was made.

The witness statement should be headed with the title of the proceedings.

The witness statement should:

·Be produced on good quality A4 paper with a 3.5cm margin;

·Be fully legible and should normally be typed on one side of the paper only;

·Be bound securely in a manner which would not hamper filing;

·Have consecutively numbered pages;

·Be divided into numbered paragraphs;

·Have all numbers, including dates, expressed in figures; and

·Give the reference to any document or documents mentioned either in the margin or in bold text in the body of the statement, for example [at page14 “ABC1”]

It is usually convenient for a witness statement to follow the chronological sequence of the events or matters dealt with. Each paragraph of a witness statement should as far as possible be confined to a distinct portion of the subject.

Content of the witness statement

·The witness statement must, if practicable, be in the witness’s own words and should be expressed in the first person;

·The first paragraph generally sets out the “who, what and why” of the statement maker:

oWho the witness is – name, residential address (or business address if he is making the statement in a business or professional capacity, together with the position held and the name of his firm or employer)

oWhat the witness’s connection with the proceedings is

oWhy the witness is making the statement;

·Witness statements should deal with facts known to the witness. To demonstrate that this is the case, words such as: “Save where I indicate to the contrary, the matters set out in this witness statement are known to me personally.” Where a fact is not within the direct knowledge of the witness, it can be included but should be preceded by, for example “I am informed by [ ] and believe that ...”.It is important to state the source of any matters or information or belief;

·Witness statements in support of or in opposition to an interim application should contain only facts relevant to that application;

·Witness statements of lay witnesses should not contain legal argument. If it is necessary to refer to the legal position, a phrase such as “I am informed by my solicitor and believe that ...” maybe used;

·Witness statements must contain a statement that the witness believes the facts in it are true;

·Witness statements should be signed and dated.

Please see outline precedent witness statement below.

Exhibits

Documents referred to in a witness statement should be produced to and verified by the witness and remain separate from the witness statement.

Copies of individual letters should be collected together and exhibited in a bundle or bundles. They should be arranged in chronological order with the earliest at the top.

Each exhibit should have a front page attached identifying its exhibit number and details of the statement to which it is exhibited.

The top right hand corner of the exhibit sheet should contain:

·The party on whose behalf the statement is made;

·The initials and surname of the witness;

·The number of the statement in relation to that witness, e.g. 1st, 2nd, etc.

·The identifying initials and number of each exhibit referred to in the statement. For example, if it is the witness’s first statement and it refers to three exhibits, these should be referred to as “ABC1” to “ABC3”. In a subsequent witness statement in the same proceedings, further exhibits would start at “ABC4”;

·The date the statement was made.

The exhibit sheet should be headed with the title of the proceedings. A centre-heading should state the exhibit number.

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

agghhh where did it go ??

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

BCOBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

This should be how the start of your WS looks like.. Then continue from your number 2

I, Hunter and Hunted of.. CAG Forums will state as follows:

1. I make this witness statement in support of my application to have the case submitted by Lloyds TSB bank plc, struck out for failing to comply with the order made by District Judge NAME on DATE

2. The matters referred to in this witness statement are within my own knowledge, except where I have indicated otherwise. Where any matters contained in this witness statement are not within my own knowledge, I have stated the source of my information.

3. There is now produced and shown to me a bundle of documents marked "H&H" The exhibit HH1 contains copies of the documents to which I will refer in this witness statement. Their related document number can be found at the bottom right hand of each page.

BCOBS

5. On the 17th may 2009 I sent the claimant a subject access request for transactions and charges and on the 29th june 2009 received statements for the period covering july 2003 to july 2004. (See Exhibit H&H??)

You need to attach copies of these letters giving each an Exhibit number as shown in the example above.

Other than that, you are on the right track :)

BCOBS