Lowell and barclaycard debt was paying them £101PCM but stopped

beerandy1969
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 4814 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi this is a gret site as so didnt realise there were so many people being harassed with lowell financial?:o I purchaed a sofa from Land of leather aronun 5 years ago now, and it was buy now pay later. After the 1st year was up, i could either pay the full amount £1200 or pay up 4 years with interest. I paid the full amount but now there hasseling me for the 4 years interest as the payment was a few days out. Ive handed it 2 my solictor but they keep ignoring her and hasseling me with letters saying arrest my wage or charge at my bank if i dont pay up? Could you please help?

as unfortunate as it is, if you were a few days out, you are liable for the interest. So now you need to come to terms with what to do, can you afford to pay the amount Lowell are collecting? or would you like to pay it over installments? If you can afford the full balance, call them, but don't let them know you can afford full balance, tell them you can't but may be able to borrow money from people, they will offer you a 10% discount straight off. depending where your account is within their chase cycle, and how much it is for, and your circumstances, you could get up to 50% knocked off. if this is something you want to do, let me know I'll tell you how.

Alternatively, you can set up an arrangement to pay it off over a period of time, in which case, they are quite nice (in comparison with courts/other DCA) and will usually ask for around 40% of your disposable income as installment (if it goes to court, they state your entire disposable income must go to pay off debts) just remember this 40% info when they ask you for financial information.

again, any more questions, let me know.

(and yes I have worked within the various companies of Lowell Group for some time)

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"tell them you may be able to borrow from people"

"Remember 40% of disposable income" &

"if it goes to court they state your entire disposable income must go to pay off debts".

& the piece de resistance "Lowells are there to help" :eek:

I don't know where to start other than to say what utter rubbish & we are accused of giving 'shocking' advice.

The court will never ever order a debtor to forgo their whole disposable income to pay a debt the rest I can't be bothered with

Leave it in the hands of your solicitor & say no more on here until it's concluded also when did LL inform you that this interest was due

hi would like some advice here i took a loan out for my ex well now my ex and he ipaid it for so long without goin into 2 much details our relationship got so bad i had 2 give up my hime just 2 get away from him and cause the loan was in my name and i had lost my job aswell i filled up all insurance forms that was took out with the loan and they began paying it i havnt worked since cause of family caring so i expected that they would have paid it all that was about 5 yr ago never heard a thing,until last month been getting letters from lowell telling me they gonna take me 2 court which i havnt replied 2 any letters or calls im bit worried now any advice would be gratefully appreiciated ty.

Before responding the dates are important & when you do ask to have your post moved to your own thread. In the meantime do not contact Lowell

I had a Lowell Muppet threaten to put defaults on my credit file because 'he could' and he would F**K me upr from ever getting credit

Another imbecile told me that they had 250 employees who would all be instructed to keep phoning me

Lowell stated in writing that I had made a payment on an alleged debt when in actual fact it would have been physically impossible for me to have done so

Still its nice for someone prepared to admit he works for Lowells instead of appearing on here as somone else

Lowell are not a DCA, they only purchase debts, so they are the owners.

If they purchase the debt why do they have to refer to their 'CLIENTS' when asked for a CCA

Yes ODC I was reluctant to post on the basis that anyone who's prepared to admit they work for a DCA, particularly Lowells, shouldn't be pilloried if they want to help but having read their 'advice' you will see from my previous response I could no longer contain myself.

I wonder if these people actually believe what they are saying because if they do it certainly explains a lot

If they purchase a debt without the CCA agreement, its like buying a car without a log book or a house without the deeds.Mole-inside your company has bought fresh air. No CCA, No Debt. You are nothing more than gangster's mole-inside, and the **** of the world. Go bury yourself and take your mole friends with you.

Yes ODC I was reluctant to post on the basis that anyone who's prepared to admit they work for a DCA, particularly Lowells, shouldn't be pilloried if they want to help but having read their 'advice' you will see from my previous response I could no longer contain myself.

I wonder if these people actually believe what they are saying because if they do it certainly explains a lot

Whether or not they believe what they spout is irrelevant. They do not care what lines they have to spin to get their monthly commission cheque or a visit to THE CRYSTAL MAZE

ODC did you know there's a new law being enacted soon barring DCA employees from posting on consumer sites like this;)

I presume its under Mental Health Legislation;):D

If they purchase the debt why do they have to refer to their 'CLIENTS' when asked for a CCA

I think I can shed some light on that one.

First contact from Lowell Financial will usually state the account was bought by Lowell Portfolio and Lowell Financial are acting on their behalf. Therefore, if/when Lowell Financial receive a CCA request or are legally compelled to comply with something, the standard reply is they will refer to their client (Portfolio) thereby buying some time and apparently passing the buck. This process can then be prolonged by including the supposedly unconnected Red and/or Hampton 'Legal' for added effect, in the hope the victim will acknowledge and accept their right of ownership.

If the victim won't budge, the amazing 'Buy one, get one free' and '50% discount' offers then appear, because they know only too well that their 'client' doesn't have any paperwork because the account was transferred to them electronically. Because Lowell deal in very old cheap to buy debts, the paperwork probably doesn't even exist, but at this point many people will buckle, opening the door for them to push even harder for the full amount of their claim and perhaps even get a CCJ if the paperwork can be found in time.

----------------------

It is illegal to approach anyone and demand money on threat of prosecution unless the correct legal instruments are already in place. The fact some purchasers do this on an enormous scale on a daily basis on the false premise that their 'client' has the docs, is a modern day social/judicial mystery, a colossal monument to business malpractice and greed.

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

Liking your signature Dannyboy. :cool: How DCA's have got away with conning people out of money without the proper agreements (CCA) is beyond me. The tide is turning! :D

Fight the injustice's of life with joy in your heart and abandon bitterness as it will destroy YOUR soul. Just at the foot, of a very steep learning curve. ;)

Liking your signature Dannyboy. :cool: How DCA's have got away with conning people out of money without the proper agreements (CCA) is beyond me. The tide is turning! :D
Because they rely on bluff and threats

So true, ODC. Its great being involved with you guys in the fight against these people. You have a lot of experience ODC and it's honorable that you and other experience CAG's share that with us newbies. :cool:

Fight the injustice's of life with joy in your heart and abandon bitterness as it will destroy YOUR soul. Just at the foot, of a very steep learning curve. ;)

Lowell and all the other DCAs have only themselves to blame for people ending up here on CAG. If they tried to come to a reasonable accommodation with people in debt then they may have more success. Instead they start bullying and threatening and as a result people google them and end up here. Its amazing that when you google Lowell this site is higher rated than their own site.:D

"As was the case here, debts are often disputed by those being pursued for the debt. The OFT says that debt collection agencies should make reasonable efforts to obtain from a creditor or other agency clients sufficient information about the debt.For example, the OFT would expect the debt collection agency to have checked the accuracy of the client data details it has received from the creditor and also, where possible, obtained a copy of the original consumer credit agreement.

If a licensed debt collection agency or creditor persistently fails to comply with the OFT's debt collection guidance or there is evidence to substantiate claims that the licence holder has engaged in unfair business practices, the OFT can ultimately revoke its licence. Since 2003, nine notices to debt collectors have been issued by the OFT that it was minded to refuse or revoke their licences."

"The OFT has been given new powers by the Consumer Credit Act 2006, which come into force in April 2008. These will allow the OFT to place requirements on licensees to modify conduct and impose financial penalties of up to £50,000 for a failure to comply with a requirement. The OFT will also have new information-gathering powers, enabling it more effectively to monitor compliance by seeking information from licensed businesses about their activities including, for example, their debt collection practices."

"More generally, I also encourage Members, consumer groups, advice agencies and individuals to raise any concerns they are aware of with the OFT using the complaints procedures to which I referred. As this case demonstrates, it is crucial that the OFT gets the evidence it needs to pursue investigations of malpractice in the sector."

Gareth Thomas (Parliamentary Under-Secretary, Department for International Development)

From a sad but interesting read Debt Collection Agencies (MRS....: 18 Dec 2007: House of Commons debates (TheyWorkForYou.com) Not much we didn't already know, but it's very important to keep those complaints rolling in every time they uck up, which is about 95% of the time according to the boss of NCO Europe.

HOIST BY THEIR OWN PETARD.

Blimey it works....:-)

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all

Just found this website, and it seems to be very helpful, although wish I would have found it earlier!!

My partner recently had a letter through the mail from this company saying that they had purchased a debt from HSBC with a balance outstanding of £11,135.20!!

My partner knows what it relates to, and said one of her ex partners was in a lot of debt and she bailed him out.

I wrote back to them and said that we do not accept any acknowledgement of the debt, that we were seeking legal advice and would like them to provide us with all of the documentation i.e. signed credit agreement, proof of payments etc...

Today we have received a letter with a statement showing payments that were made from the date the agreement started, being January 2003, up until the last payment on December 2004. I have received nothing else from them.

Can somebody please advise what our position is? What we should do? Obviously, in an ideal world, we do not want to repay this, but appreciate that it has not been 6 years for the statute of limitations to work. Have we already acknowledged debt by sending this letter without using "without prejudice"? We live in Jersey, so cannot be threatened with Bailiffs, and do not own our property, so mortgage cannot be effected.

Should we now ignore these letters until the 6 years is up?

Are these companies likely to accept a reduced offer in order that we could pay this off? If we have to pay anything, we were considering offering say £5,000 to be paid £500 a month, are they likely to accept this?

Anyones and everyones help much appreciated.

Look forward to hearing our options.

Ta:)

Hi all

Just found this website, and it seems to be very helpful, although wish I would have found it earlier!!

My partner recently had a letter through the mail from this company saying that they had purchased a debt from HSBC with a balance outstanding of £11,135.20!!

My partner knows what it relates to, and said one of her ex partners was in a lot of debt and she bailed him out.

I wrote back to them and said that we do not accept any acknowledgement of the debt, that we were seeking legal advice and would like them to provide us with all of the documentation i.e. signed credit agreement, proof of payments etc...

Today we have received a letter with a statement showing payments that were made from the date the agreement started, being January 2003, up until the last payment on December 2004. I have received nothing else from them.

Can somebody please advise what our position is? What we should do? Obviously, in an ideal world, we do not want to repay this, but appreciate that it has not been 6 years for the statute of limitations to work. Have we already acknowledged debt by sending this letter without using "without prejudice"? We live in Jersey, so cannot be threatened with Bailiffs, and do not own our property, so mortgage cannot be effected.

Should we now ignore these letters until the 6 years is up?

Are these companies likely to accept a reduced offer in order that we could pay this off? If we have to pay anything, we were considering offering say £5,000 to be paid £500 a month, are they likely to accept this?

Anyones and everyones help much appreciated.

Look forward to hearing our options.

Ta:)

When you state 'helped him out' what do you mean. Did they sign anything or make any agreement with the creditor to pay the b/f debts??

• 4 weeks later...

Hi there

Sorry for the delay in the reply.

I assume that something was signed as she took out a loan I believe.

Subsequent to this, I sent to Lowell a CCA request. After a couple of weeks they have sent back a letter saying,

"We refer to your request for a copy of your original credit agreement in accordance with th eprovisions of the section 77(1) and / or 78(1) of the consumer Credit Act 1974.

This account from which the above amount is due relates to a bank account that you held with Lloyds.

While this account is a regulated agreement I would refer to Section 74(b) of the Consumer Credit Act 1974 whereby any requirement to supply a copy of the agreement is exempt for current bank accounts."

Now, there's two issues with this. One is all along they have said it's a debt owed to HSBC, and I think this is just a typo, as my partner has never owed money to Lloyds.

They have previously provided me with a statement which shows regular payments being made up until 2003, and my partner is positive that it relates to a loan and not a bank account.

What should be our next step? We can obviously write back and say that we don't owe money to Lloyds, but what do we need to provide them with? Any help at this stage would be much appreciated.

Thanks