Using & Understanding Section 142 of the CCA 1974

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5483 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

After reading section 142 of the act several times I am not 100% certain how I would issue proceedings against a creditor.

I was wondering if somebody could shed some light on this from the start of the proceses.

HAK

Hi

After reading section 142 of the act several times I am not 100% certain how I would issue proceedings against a creditor.

I was wondering if somebody could shed some light on this from the start of the proceses.

HAK

Might make it a little easier to know exactly what type of action you want to take against your creditor?

Might make it a little easier to know exactly what type of action you want to take against your creditor?

Hi

A creditor has supplied an agreement with the incorrect figures therefor the perscribed terms are void.

Say then i want the Court to rule the agreement unenforcable and use the 142 route

HAK

You apply to the County Court for a declaration as an interested party BUT can I just check what was the date of the agreement.

If I've helped feel free to add to my reputation.

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

You apply to the County Court for a declaration as an interested party BUT can I just check what was the date of the agreement.

June 2003

So is it as easy as that.

Issuiung a N1, showing the Court the agreement and him ruling?

I'm not sure if it is an N1 - phone the court office and check - you'd also need to check on the issue fee although of course you may qualify for exemption/remission of fee.

I wanted to check that your agreement was under the old rules.

The other thing you should do is write to the other side and tell them that the agreement is unenforceable and ask them to confirm in open correspondence that they agree and that they will undertake not to take any enforcement action. If they don't tell them that you'll apply to the court for a declaration.

I am not a Practising Lawyer. My comments are my opinion only. You should not rely upon those comments and should always take your own professional advice from a practising Solicitor or Barrister

Is this the best step to take then when you are challenging a credit agreement? Filling in an N1?

Firstly we're not sure if its' an N1...

Personally I'd try and resolve it by correspondence and issue a County Court Claim as a last resort

Personally I'd try and resolve it by correspondence and issue a County Court Claim as a last resort

You issue a Part 7 Claim

You may receive different advice to your query as people have different experiences and opinions. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take.

If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability.

If you think I have been helpful PLEASE click the scales

court bundles for dummies

The only part that has concerned me with taking a claim such as this to court is that there is an expectation that you require some form of compensation figure or "claim amount" - seems a little brazen to seek compensation when you have already benefited from an unenforceable agreement haha...

You have to issue either a Part 7 or a Part 8 claim for s.142 declarations.

If you're not legally represented and on a no win no fee then I would avoid issuing a Part 8 claim as that is heard in the High Court and there are significant costs involved.

You may receive different advice to your query as people have different experiences and opinions. Please use your own judgement in deciding whose advice to take.

If in doubt seek advice from a qualified insured professional. Any advice I have offered you is done so on an informal basis, without prejudice or liability.

If you're not legally represented and on a no win no fee then I would avoid issuing a Part 8 claim as that is heard in the High Court and there are significant costs involved.

On what basis would you be able to use s.142? I thought that was just a declaration of rights?

I will probably will be getting a no-win no-fee solictor but I would like to fully understand it first.

So basically 142 is going to Court getting a Judge to make a declaration that the agreement is unenforcable then no more payement need to be made...

I will probably will be getting a no-win no-fee solictor but I would like to fully understand it first.

So basically 142 is going to Court getting a Judge to make a declaration that the agreement is unenforcable then no more payement need to be made...

Its' a bit more complex than that - basically you are applying for an Order that the creditor cannot take any enforcement action. If you get your order and stop paying then there is nothing the creditor can do.

I thought that Consumer Credit Cases had to be issued in the County Court or are their special rules for declarations

Why go down the Part 7 route. All you need is a County Court hearing to get a Court Order for an injunction against an enforcement claim by a creditor. An N244 is the best and easiest route.

I was always under the impression that the N244 was to be used for setting aside a CCJ or varying the terms to it?

I thought that Consumer Credit Cases had to be issued in the County Court or are their special rules for declarations

You can issue either if seeking a declaration. I have done both.

I was always under the impression that the N244 was to be used for setting aside a CCJ or varying the terms to it?

You can't use a N244 for obtaining a declaration.

In that case then - that would be the way round Rankine - whilst Rankine is a High Court Judgment it technically doesn't bind the the High Court - they would normally follow another HC Judgment but don't have to

Josie

Have you done this successfully

HAK