What Are The Legal Differences? - Please Help

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5497 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

In very basic terms, can someone tell me the legal differences between a Penalty Charge Notice and a Civil Penalty Notice?

As far as I understand a PCN is issued by either a council or Police and one would be legally obliged to inform them as to who the driver of the vehicle was.

Whilst a CPN is issued by a private parking company, who have no legal right to force you to disclose the name of the driver. And I gather they sometimes will call these Parking Charge Notices in order to confuse and fool us into thinking they are 'official' PCNs.

Are there any other major legal differences? Or have I got this wrong!!

I am sure it a complete and total co-incidence that PPCs abbreviate Parking Charge Notice to PCN which is very similar (OK, completely the same) as a legal Penalty Charge Notice comes down to PCN as well. Another pure accident is the fact they print their invoice on quite a small bit of paper, (about the size of a council PCN as it happens) and put it in a little yellow envelope stuck to your window just like a council CEO would.

This maybe happens because they might use the same printers and suppliers as the council and just use items off the shelf. I can't believe they would do any of this intentionally as we might think they are trying to trick and confuse us into thinking they are issuing legal tickets and they wouldn't do that would they?? ;):D

and just how is it

"The sign says you agreee to pay ABC if you do XYZ. The contract is just as binding as a council or police issued ticket, but in a different way."

take it that came from planet perky

troll alert again :mad:

Private tickets are issued under the law of contract. The sign says you agreee to pay ABC if you do XYZ. The contract is just as binding as a council or police issued ticket, but in a different way.

ROTFLMAO

As far as I understand a PCN is issued by either a council or Police and one would be legally obliged to inform them as to who the driver of the vehicle was.

Not quite.

A Parking Charge Notice can only be issued by a Council (or their contracted agent). You are not obliged to provide details of the driver (unless you are a hire company) as it doesn't matter - the owner is ultimately liable.

The Police can issue FPNs for criminal offences and as the driver is liable, you are obliged under s.172 of the RTA 1988 to provide details of the driver.

Kiptower, it would seem your knowledge of the law is somewhat patchy.

I'd suggest you pop down the library and rent a couple of text books ;)

Ha ha, says Perky, the (God)father of dodgy internet law. Only on Planet Perky is the private parking invoice enforcable. But then Planet Perky has only one inhabitant.