Dad's Card **WON**

laddie18
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5503 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Everyone,

My father passed away on the 03.03.09 after a sudden illness. He left a credit card with Capital One with a balance of £800. He had been paying the protection insurance for death, injury etc so i informed Capital One over the telephone of his death and duly sent in a death certificate as requested.

A week or so later i recieved a letter from them asking me to contact AXA insurance, where i was then told that he was not covered as he was over 65. My Dad died aged 66 and 5 months, so therefore he had been paying the premiums for some 18 months for nothing.

I filled in a form saying that there were no assets and nothing available for creditors, which there isn't, and have just received a letter from Capital One saying there is £700 available for creditors from his estate and they want a prorata offer. (I dont have a clue where they got this figure from!)

I have checked thoroughly through Dads paperwork form the last few years and i cannot find any letter from Cap One saying that his insurance is now worthless now that he has hit 65, or any other correspondance except monthly statements in fact.

Every other company that i have spoke to after his death have been marvellous and could not do enough for me except Capital One which incidentally was the only one that he had insurance on in case of death.

This is now starting to affect my health and the greiving process which surely i am allowed to have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Everyone,

My father passed away on the 03.03.09 after a sudden illness. He left a credit card with Capital One with a balance of £800. He had been paying the protection insurance for death, injury etc so i informed Capital One over the telephone of his death and duly sent in a death certificate as requested.

A week or so later i recieved a letter from them asking me to contact AXA insurance, where i was then told that he was not covered as he was over 65. My Dad died aged 66 and 5 months, so therefore he had been paying the premiums for some 18 months for nothing.

I filled in a form saying that there were no assets and nothing available for creditors, which there isn't, and have just received a letter from Capital One saying there is £700 available for creditors from his estate and they want a prorata offer. (I dont have a clue where they got this figure from!)

I have checked thoroughly through Dads paperwork form the last few years and i cannot find any letter from Cap One saying that his insurance is now worthless now that he has hit 65, or any other correspondance except monthly statements in fact.

Every other company that i have spoke to after his death have been marvellous and could not do enough for me except Capital One which incidentally was the only one that he had insurance on in case of death.

This is now starting to affect my health and the greiving process which surely i am allowed to have.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CC Debts are personal and cannot transfer, if your dad left no estate, i.e. bank accounts / savings accounts / property then there is nothing they can do to reclaim this money from you.

As to where they got the £700 from I can only surmise that possibly there is an account entry on his credit file which shows a balance?

Also If they have charged him premiums since he hit 65 when clearly the policy THEY SOLD him would not cover him then personally I would tell them to offset this amount that they have taken from him wrongly against the outstanding balance and that is all they will get.

S.

Thanks Shadow,

I phoned them yesterday and accused them of STEALING money from him for the last 18 months, maybe not the right thing to do but what the hell!, told them i was reporting to the Ombudsam, FSA, BBC watchdog etc etc.

An hour later someone called me back saying that they were closing the account with no more to pay!!

RESULT

Thanks Shadow,

I phoned them yesterday and accused them of STEALING money from him for the last 18 months, maybe not the right thing to do but what the hell!, told them i was reporting to the Ombudsam, FSA, BBC watchdog etc etc.

An hour later someone called me back saying that they were closing the account with no more to pay!!

RESULT

Well done! Just goes to show the lengths these firms go to make a little money. Another victory for the little man (no offence intended)

S.