style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5533 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi, Need a bit of advice....

Bit of a long story, but i'll be brief. Had a debt to the uni for something that i was unable to pay in full. I set a payment arrangement with their recovery agents, and this was being paid every month by standing order. I then got a letter from their Sols, saying that i had defaulted and they were starting court proceedings to recover the full amount. I called the recovery agents as i was still paying the standing order. They advised that they had sent a letter (to an address i left 2 years previously) requesting an increase on my payments. I advised that no letter had been received and that I can happily increase the payments. This was done and i was told to ignore the sols letter, they would contact them and advise. Needless to say, nothing was done, and i got a letter from the court to say that a CCJ had been granted. Still making the payments at this time, but now Andrew Wilson & co are involved, saying that if i do not pay the agreed figure of £55 (i offered this in NOvember when they first turned up) they will remove the car (i need this as part of my job) . Since then i have had 2 letters from the company i actually owe the money to. 1st one saying that i need to pay teh agreed figure that was set in February, and the 2nd letter saying that i need to discuss a revised payment plan.

Andrew wilson are still saying to pay them, and the original company (to whom teh debt is owed is saying to pay them, not the baliffs).

A) what do I do about the threat to take my car

B) what rights do I have because i need my car as part of my employment

C) What happens when I get a lease car through my employers? Can the take that as well?

D) who should I pay?

Thanks for all help and advice, need to act quick to sort this out.

A) what do I do about the threat to take my car

You could sell it to your uncle Angus for a fiver, make the insurance company aware that he is the owner but that you are still the driver and registered keeper. Only do this if your uncle Angus is prepared to claim the car back from anyone who seizes it.

That would protect the car, because only goods belonging to the debtor may be seized.

I'm only saying this because you mentioned that bailiffs were involved.

B) what rights do I have because i need my car as part of my employment

Unless it is a licensed taxi, or a sign written commercial vehicle, it's a bit difficult to claim that the car is a tool of your trade; in the real world we know that it is...

C) What happens when I get a lease car through my employers? Can the take that as well?

Lease = Rental

That means it is not your property, and therefore cannot be seized because of your debts.

D) who should I pay?

To whom was the County Court judgement granted, who does the court say you should pay?

I would pay them by standing order, and if the judgement was for the whole amount, it might be worth making an application to the court -- I'm not sure if it is an N244 or an N245 but you could always ring the court up and ask them, or maybe somebody more knowledgeable will come along and explain it for you.

need to act quick to sort this out.

You can say that again :-)