style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5481 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I've had my 2008-2009 Council Tax bill passed to CER Bailiff's. As I had to wait for 3 months for my Benefits claims to be processed I had CER put the account on hold. I had a lovely letter left hanging half out of the street side of my door saying "By Order of the Magistrate" Removal Notice.

I've just rung Guildford Borough Council and advised them that we are moving in a week anyway, so they are working out our final bill. I've requested that we pay the outstanding to Guildford and not CER, and just had a Guildford Council Tax staff member tell me I have to pay CER (UK) Bailiff's.

Is this right ? Im sure from what I've read on here that thats not correct. (btw when I told them I'd been advised that I could pay direct to them I was told that I was just being told what I wanted to hear.)

Capital One - Took them to court and they settled for the full £998

Aqua - Threatened legal action, they refunded the whole £424

Barclaycard - Threatened legal action, they refunded the whole £636

RBS/Universa - 1st letter sent, settled for £132

Virgin Media - 1st Judge great....second Judge couldn't even be bothered to read the case details

• 1 month later...

Guildford agreed to accept £40 a month for the foreseeable future to pay off the outstanding Council Tax and are going to investigate my complaint about CER's shoddy behaviour and excessive charges.

Virgin Media - 1st Judge great....second Judge couldn't even be bothered to read the case details

Guildford agreed to accept £40 a month for the foreseeable future to pay off the outstanding Council Tax and are going to investigate my complaint about CER's shoddy behaviour and excessive charges.

have you got that in writing

i would write to the bailiffs recorded delivery asking for a screenshot of your account so that you can check the charges for yourself

in my experience most councils don't know what a bailiff can/cannot charge

when i complained to our council about unlawful charges added by the bailiffs

the councils reply was i have asked the bailiff and he said charges are correct

I have a letter from the Head of the Council Tax department at Guildford. I've dealt with him on and off for years so I know he's pretty clued in. Also I've told him exactly what was paid to CER and when, and I've also told him what I know Im required to pay CER, I have however disputed it on the grounds that as its supposed to be for a Bailiffs visit and I've yet to actually see one, and that I have no proof that the individual who dropped a letter in the door was in fact a certificated bailiff, I don't feel that I should be charged for it.