Connaught Collections - CC Licence

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5561 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all,

I received a brace of letters recently from Connaught regarding a disputed debt with 1st Credit. All the usual bla bla bla stuff.

Anyway, as it was the first time I had had the pleasure of receiving communication from them I did a bit of digging and was supprised to note that their Consumer Credit Licence expired last Wednesday, the 18th March.

Now I assume that this is an oversight on someones behalf (either connaught or the OFT) OR perhaps in the current climate 1st Credit are doing away with Connaught.

Either way its quite interesting and for the time being at least, the threat-o-grams from Connaught really arn't worth the paper they are written on.

FF:)

Somehow they will fudge their way around this.

Perhaps their renewal is still being processed or somesuch ...

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

My understanding is that operating any form of credit or credit recovery service without a valid cc lisence is actually a criminal offence!! "Operating without a Lisence!"

On this basis, surely the police should be informed?? Not that I expect they would be keen do much!!

I am rarely around these parts any more. I only stop by when something has come to my attention that has sufficiently annoyed me so as to persuade me to awake from my nap and put in my two pence.

I am a final year law student; I am NOT an expert in law. All of my posts are just my opinion. I cannot be held responsible for any outcome whatsoever resulting from any person following the opinions or information contained within my posts. Always seek professional legal advice from a qualified lawyer.

The OFT's database shows that the licence as 'current', even though it also shows an expiry date of 18 Mar 2009. This is because Connaught submitted a renewal application on 16 Mar 2009, and I gather from previous cases that they are allowed to continue trading in these circumstances.

Where the database shows 'current' even though the expiry date has passed, click on the 'history' button, and any changes renewals are shown on the page that appears.

The OFT's database shows that the licence as 'current', even though it also shows an expiry date of 18 Mar 2009. This is because Connaught submitted a renewal application on 16 Mar 2009, and I gather from previous cases that they are allowed to continue trading in these circumstances.

Where the database shows 'current' even though the expiry date has passed, click on the 'history' button, and any changes renewals are shown on the page that appears.

SP, I've just done that for Moorcroft Debt Recovery:

It says this:

Categories:

CategoryAction Consumer creditRemoved Consumer hireRemoved Credit brokerageRemoved Credit reference agencyRemoved Debt adjusting/counsellingRemoved Debt collectingRetained

Their Licence was due 16th January, shown as 'current' but Licensing Event details - 'Pending'... 2 months late. Any ideas what this means?

We will not be intimidated.

'The pen is mightier than the sword'.

Petition to Outlaw Debt Sale and Purchase

- can't read/post much as eye strain's v.bad.

VIVA CAG!!! :)

Pending usually means that it's being processed. On the OFT's main site they say that there are backlogs in processing CCLs, so I wouldn't take it to mean anything sinister - although I suspect that they are checking things more carefully these days.

WRT the various categories, as I understand it, it was usual in the past for companies to just tick all the boxes, and be licenced for various functions; now they have to be specific, which is why in many cases you'll see various removals and retentions.

Okay thanks SP. All the letters/threatograms we've received from them were during the last 2 months. Their licence expired 2 months ago. Do you think they could be one of the OFT 13?

On the OFT website it says:

Unlicensed trading

Unlicensed trading is a criminal offence punishable by a fine, imprisonment or both. You must not trade before your licence has been issued, or carry out business activities under a category it does not cover.

If you have traded while unlicensed, you may apply to us for an order for any arrangements you have made to be treated in law as if you had been licensed - but you could still be prosecuted.

The Office of Fair Trading: Applying to be licensed

I know who I'll be updating tomorrow.:D

but if it says 'Debt collectingRetained' then what are they doing that they don't have a license for?

That's one of the things I'll be asking the OFT.