• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

EMILY & JOHN vc HSBC £9000 **ANOTHER WON**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6442 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Afternoon all!

My partner and i have put in claims for our cash (approx £4500 each)

So we're making inroads here :

Summary so far -

10th July, Prelim's sent

24th July, LBA's sent RD

28th July letter recv'd addressed to Emily from Mr colin Langdale referring to letter dated 10th July.

This letter has tried to fob her off to the financial ombudsman, and "represents our final response on this matter".

I take it we are to continue following our timetable and to action court proceedings on 11th August?

I am waiting for a response to my letters too, similar amount - will update here soon, keen to see what action HSBC chose to take as it would appear that they take a different approach everytime. I bet they have spent hours reading these threads in efforts to our dupe their customers!!!

Thanks for the advice CAG, without this site we would not have the confidence to approach HSBC in the first place :)

HSBC £5600 : Paid in Full 31/8

HSBC £4700 : Paid in Full 05/09

MBNA £1780 : Paid in Full 8/11

Smile £2400 :Paid in Full 17/11

RBOS £200 : Prelim 11/10

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

thanks Crusher and also Sar....:)

i remember all those times at the end of the month when HSBC have taken my last few quid and more!!!

We're gonna take our money back!!! :D:-x:cool:

So the MCOL text, i take it we just personalise the particulars? i'm hoping for the 8% aswell.

ANother question though .....i am £3500 overdrawn , and have £3500 on my HSBC mastercard (wil also claim on this too). Are HSBC likely to withdraw my credit line, ie cancel my OD facility etc, so when i get my money back it will just get swallowed up in unauthorised OD? I guess it pays it off for me but i was really hoping for a holiday!

:smile:

I have seen that others have requested payment in cheque form - this might be a good idea if you are worried

zoe

HSBC- Amount owed from unlawful charges- £2191.73

Progress so far

27/06/06 Preliminary letter sent

10/07/06 Sent letter before action

25/07/06 Completed and submitted MCOL

27/07/06 Recieved offer of £1850 from HSBC

14/08/06 Recieved full amount + court fees from HSBC:)

ah good idea i'll have to mention that to them at some point, how can i request a cheque though? hmmmm....

Hi, this is my first post!! I'm so glad I found this forum. Could someone please have a quick read of my predicament and see what they think please.

I owed HSBC approx 24.5k and have gone bankrupt. this has been great for me, but my current account was joint with the missus and they are now pursuing her for the 3.2k we have overdrawn in there. They are threatening to sell this debt to metropolitan collections services (mcs) in 2 weeks if we don't pay infull. My wife is a fulltime mum and I am a mature (bankrupt) student therefore no means to pay. I wreckon atleast 1k of this is charges and interest. Can I follow the template for letters or will it all change if they sell the debt to MCS? Can I do the same route against mcs? I tried to negotiate with hsbc but unless we give them a lumpsum for atleast 75% of the outstanding amount they wouldn't even consider negotiating!

Help please as I don't want the missus to have to declare bankruptcy aswell.

Thanks,

David.

Hi John,

see littlemissfoolish's thread for some info on this

z

HSBC- Amount owed from unlawful charges- £2191.73

Progress so far

27/06/06 Preliminary letter sent

10/07/06 Sent letter before action

25/07/06 Completed and submitted MCOL

27/07/06 Recieved offer of £1850 from HSBC

14/08/06 Recieved full amount + court fees from HSBC:)

ah good idea i'll have to mention that to them at some point, how can i request a cheque though?

Have a look at my thread - Excess Overdraft Limit.

Antibankvillain - Might be better if you can start your own thread, that way we can follow your progress and offer help if you need it.

Might be getting your prelim in before they sell the debt, as far as I know (please don't quote me) they can't sell the debt whilst there is a question on the account.

Is this amount unsecured??, if so I don't think that they can make you bankrupt. Worst case senario, they sell your debt, MCS chase you for it, if you still can't afford to pay they issue a default and apply for a CCJ, the court would then ask for proof of your income and expenditure and , if applicable, tell MCS what you can afford to pay on a monthly basis. Might ruin your credit rating but... Do make sure though that you pay at least £1 per month into your account. If your really struggling I would suggest that you contact Consumer Credit Counselling service, they helped me loads and can compile your income expenditure for you.

Good luck

cheers z, i have spent hours reading these threads so thanks for pointing me in that direction.....

this place is so helpful!!!

thnx,

John.

Morning!

I've read in these forums about HSBC sending this letter as a "final response". What's the take on filing the MCOL claim early? I see others have continued with their timetable and waited for the 14 days quoted in their LBA to expire.

We're ready to go but could always wait for the sake of a week or so.....

:confused:

I can't wait to get on to my other banks, it's kind of exciting knowing that i am finally getting my own back ! :lol:

So I've done most of the text and saved the half completed application ready to go! However it's a real squeeze for 1080 chars......

Now might sound like a stiupid question, or maybe it's just too early (!) but do I type the particulars of the claim in 3rd party context, ie "The claimant etc etc..." or as if I am writing it myself...ie, " I am claiming etc etc..."

Also, as for including a schedule of charges is this req'd with the MCOL or is that just for a paper based claim?:confused:

This is what I have done so far and it just about fits.....any comments from anyone would be much appreciated!!!!

I have a contract with the defendant dating 1998, which is conducted on their std. T’s and C’s. I am claiming the return of money taken by the defendant in

the way of charges over the last 6 yrs(£3,021.50) plus the interest they have

levied on those charges(£624.32). The bank's charges are a disproportionate penalty and therefore unenforceable as they are contrary to common law. Further, as a disproportionate penalty they are invalid under the Unfair (Contracts) Terms Act 1977 s.4 and under the Unfair Terms in Consumer Contracts Regulations 1999. Para.8 and sch.2(1)(e). In the event that the charges are not a penalty then they are unreasonable within the meaning of the Supply of Goods and Services Act 1982 s.15. I have repeatedly asked the bank to justify their charges but they have declined to do so. I am also claiming interest under s.69 of the County Courts Act 1984 at the rate of 8% a year from 10/07/00 - 11/08/06 of £816.51 and also interest at the same rate up to the date of judgment or earlier payment at a daily rate of £0.80.

Don't think it matters too much if you claim as 'I' or 'the claimant'. You will probably get a letter from DG Solicitors asking for a breakdown of charges (stalling tactic), so I'd just keep hold of them for the moment.

The text sounds fine, pretty much waht I put on mine. Good luck!!!!!

Thanks, it took me ages to fit it in to 24 lines though!

SO in the box where it asks for Amount Claimed (and you hit calculate to work out court costs) do we put in the total amount (charges + interest) but also including 8% interest, or just total amount without the 8% interest? I am assuming we put in the figure WITH interest as this is the total amount being claimed, however with 8% it takes the figure above £5000 and court costs up to £250. Obviously we will get these back, but £250 is a lot to shell out....would rather fork out £120, but don't want to put the wrong figure in for obvious reasons...

You need to put the total amount you are claiming - including interest but excluding court fees.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Thanks Barracad, so be it. However £250 is a small investment given the return.

Afternoon all!

My partner and i have put in claims for our cash (approx £4500 each)

So we're making inroads here :

Summary so far -

10th July, Prelim's sent

24th July, LBA's sent RD

28th July letter recv'd addressed to Emily from Mr colin Langdale referring to letter dated 10th July.

This letter has tried to fob her off to the financial ombudsman, and "represents our final response on this matter".

I take it we are to continue following our timetable and to action court proceedings on 11th August?

I am waiting for a response to my letters too, similar amount - will update here soon, keen to see what action HSBC chose to take as it would appear that they take a different approach everytime. I bet they have spent hours reading these threads in efforts to our dupe their customers!!!

Thanks for the advice CAG, without this site we would not have the confidence to approach HSBC in the first place :)

If thats there final response just go straight to court now.

we're tempted....but is there any advantage / disadvantage to keeping the claim under £5000?

Advantages of keeping under £5,000:

• Fixed costs whether you win or lose (only pay court fees)

Disadvantages:

• By severing your claim, you are purposely trying to avoid moving off the small claims track - any subsequent claim could potentially be struck out for abusing the process and you could wave goodbye to the rest of your money.
  • Banks won't be forced into standard disclosure where they have to show their true costs.

My advice would be to keep it all as one claim - it will cost you more to submit the claim, but you get this back anyway.

On the fast track if you lose you may have to pay costs, but these are fixed.

However, with the fast track you can force the banks to prove their costs, which they aren't going to do - so they will settle out of court in exactly the same way as if it were small claims.

Fast track is less risky than small claims in my opinion.

Opinions given herein are made informally by myself as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

thanks...that certainly clears things up. My MCOL is ready to go at any time from now until 7th August, my £250 is at the ready as soon as my salary goes in ! Will keep you posted . .