• Tweets

• Yes, it was, but in practice we've found time after time that judges will not rule against PPCs solely on the lack of PP.  They should - but they don't.  We include illegal signage in WSs, but more as a tactic to show the PPC up as spvis rather than in the hope that the judge will act on that one point alone. But sue them for what?  They haven't really done much apart from sending you stupid letters. Breach of GDPR?  It could be argued they knew you had Supremacy of Contact but it's a a long shot. Trespass to your vehicle?  I know someone on the Parking Prankster blog did that but it's one case out of thousands. Surely best to defy them and put the onus on them to sue you.  Make them carry the risk.  And if they finally do - smash them. If you want, I suppose you could have a laugh at the MA's expense.  Tell them about the criminality they have endorsed and give them 24 hours to have your tickets cancelled and have the signs removed - otherwise you will contact the council to start enforcement for breach of planning permission.
    • Developing computer games can be wildly expensive so some hope that AI can cut the cost.View the full article
    • means nothing. just trying to kid people its going up some kind of chain. get reading a good few threads here each day. dx  
    • also do an OC2 https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/256744-welcome-secured-loan-sold-to-coast/?do=findComment&comment=4917128  
    • ok  from the infamous cruzhughes mammoth welcome thread i remembered. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/394686-welcome-secured-loanscharge-sold-to-alphaprime-repo-received-claim-dismissed/?do=findComment&comment=5009109 prime credit 5 was a luvy co. along with alpha credit 5 their uk portal was thru prime credit,  loans were administered on their behalf by Acenden, Acenden are Part of the Kensington Group. ultimately these were mostly all sold to Coast  Prime_28th_Aug.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Discussion on enforceability of agreements

toto003
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5452 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

this document is improperly exectued and not in compliance with S61(1)© CCA, the reasons?

Look at clause 1.5 (B)

where are the exceptions stated? clause 2,.4 . 3.5 and 3.6? they aint there so all the terms were not easily legible when the agreement was signed

also one has to question what are these terms? are they a term which says you do not have to pay on a day with a Y in it? could be. since its not stated then we just dont know

oh also, since its in relation to a prescribed term, they could be in trouble here too

Another thing, there is nothing linking the alleged back page scan to the front page e.g. no reference identifying it as a 2nd page of that document - it could be from anywhere. Also the back page (bottom) states virgin products whilst the front states mbna. :)

Edited by shakespeare62
edited typos

Please note that the right to reproduce any part of any post I make on this forum is restricted under copyright law and litigation privilege

Please see the following copyright statement

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Mine also has these terms missing (see section 1.4b in my thread link below).

Having blown my copies up I do believe that the back is actually the back of the front (not two separate docs) but does the above missing terms make it unenforceable or even improperly executed?

My thread (links in post 26)...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/mbna/163837-toxic-mbna-2.html#post1919033

Great thread steven4064!

I came across this from militantconsumers thread.

Under the s18 multiple agreements post you did mention about top up loans having seperate categories (restricted use to repay existing amount and unrestricted use the cash) with or without the ppi being there. However you only mention this in relation to secured loans and mortgages.

I note in Francis Bennions paper he does use that example but I think that from elizabeth1's original post on the multiple agreements thread itself, that this top ups being multiple agreements argument can also be applied to unsecured lending where a loan has been refinanced through the same lender and this is not properly documented.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Thanks for this thread, Steven. It is nice and tidy with all the relevant information in one place. :D

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group

Uploading documents to CAG ** Instructions **

Looking for a draft letter? Use the CAG Library

Dealing with Customer Service Departments? - read the CAG Guide first

1: Making a PPI claim ? - Q & A's and spreadsheets for single premium policy - HERE

2: Take back control of your finances - Debt Diaries

3: Feel Bullied by Creditors or Debt Collectors? Read Here

4: Staying Calm About Debt  Read Here

5: Forum rules - These have been updated - Please Read

BCOBS

1: How can BCOBS protect you from your Banks unfair treatment

2: Does your Bank play fair - You can force your Bank to play Fair with you

3: Banking Conduct of Business Regulations - The Hidden Rules

4: BCOBS and Unfair Treatment - Common Examples of Banks Behaving Badly

5: Fair Treatment for Credit Card Holders and Borrowers - COBS

Advice & opinions given by citizenb are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

PLEASE DO NOT ASK ME TO GIVE ADVICE BY PM - IF YOU PROVIDE A LINK TO YOUR THREAD THEN I WILL BE HAPPY TO OFFER ADVICE THERE:D

jonesey

The CCA 1974 mentions a whole load of categories in ss 8-15:

regulated, unregulated, fixed-sum, rolling-credit, restricted-use, unrestricted-use, credit-token, debtor-creditor, debtor-creditor-supplies, consumer-credit, personal-credit

Any agreement that falls into more than one of these categories is a multiple agreement.

In principle that is all agreements eg a 'normal' loan is consumer-credit fixed-sum unrestricted-use. Bennion makes it clear that the requirments of the CCA 1974 must be addressed for each category.

In practice, where this matters is where an agreement has two bits that fall into two different sets of categories. THe 2 (or more) bits must be treated as sperate agreements. THat means at the very least that the prescribed terms for each bit must be there.

Hello to everyone who has contributed to this forum and thank you for taking the time out to help others - it is greatly appreciated.

Below is a copy of my Egg Credit Card Agreement. Can someone please tell me if it is enforceable or not.

Further queries/relevant information:

(1) also enclosed was a printout from the internet off the CC terms and condtions, which looks to be from their website circa 2004 by the dates mentioned. This is a seperate doc entirely and has no signatures or any of my info.

(2) On page two there is a tickbox 'for the return of any supporting information sent to Egg'. This is ticked. I am about 90% certain I don't remember sending them any supporting info, and so wouldn't have ticked this box, also the tick is not in my style of writing (sounds silly but my ticks are large and sloppy not small and prescise) and there are marks (are they just folds?) on both docs...has it been doctored, and if so what can I do?

(3) How do I work out the APR / Interst bit, or would anyone help me?

(4) Thanks for looking.

PAGE 1 LINK: Image of EGG CCA PAGE 1 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

PAGE 1 IMAGE: IMG%5D

PAGE 2 LINK: Image of EGG CCA PAGE 2 - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

PAGE 2 IMAGE: IMG%5D

Hi Danny

It is a standard Egg credit card agreement which is unenforceable because it does not have the prescribed term giving you your credit limit - it has an 'agreed limit' which is meaningless in terms of the CCA 1974.

Crikey....thank you ever so much for that Steven!

Just a couple of question if i may...

(1) So it's just a simple as sending them a letter telling them this information, and stopping any payments to them? Is there a way round this for them, or is it a clear cut unenforceable agreement?

(2) I know its immoral so I wont be doing it, but what is to stop people who find they have an unenforceable agreement just maxing out their card/transfering another balance over and then saying I'm not paying...what have the banks said about this.

Thanks again mate, I fully intend to make a contribution to the site if this comes off.

Regards

Danny

I would write in the first instance telling them that they don't have an enforceable agreement and why.

You will want to say that the prescribed terms are in schedule 6 of the Consumer Credit (Agreements) Regulations 1983 and that the Consumer Credit Act 1974 allows no deviation from them. Their agreement does not have the term "stating the credit limit or the manner in which it will be determined or that there is no credit limit." required for a running account credit agreement. It is therefore unenforceable by virtue of s127(3) of the CCA 1974.

You could make them a full and final offer as a gesture of goodwill and without prejudice of between 2p and 3p in the pound on the balance, which is what they would get if they sold the alleged debt.

Hi,

I am new here and think it is great how friendly and helpful everyone is! I am querying 5 cards and am trying to learn as much about the process as possible as I am very nervous about going to a company to do this on my behalf and have to part with so much cash.

I too have an Egg card as does my husband. On both our agreement which is available for us to read online it states under 'credit limit' -

'We will set and tell you the Credit Limit from time to time.' We processed the whole application on line and ticked the relevant box for our signature.

Is it worth pursuing this with egg as unenforceable? I have sent off the template letters requesting a copy of agreements for the other cards to the relevant companies so am waiting their response.

Your advice would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you for your earlier replies Steven. A final question if i may. I currently owe £2,500 on the Egg card (the one with the unenforceable agreement) but the credit limit is £8,000. Is there anything to stop me transfering debt from my other credit card (Virgin £4000) to Egg, and then telling them it is unenforceable?

I acumulated my debts through living cost whilst having two years off to recover from a head injury as opposed to being a wild spender, and so feel 'less guilty' than if I had simply frittered it away.

Any further advice is welcome, and greatfully received.

These ar online applications and Egg seem to get those right. I am pretty sure that both of these will be enforceable. Ticked box counts as signature post 2004

Steven does this go for all online apps post 2004 that if there is a tick in the box then that surfices? have a tesco one that not posted up yet.

muffintop

Won Nationwide £900 and £1908 Bank Charges

Lloyds personal account 1,861

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Abbey bank acc. Stayed 2008

CCA requested Barclaycard Nov 08 - n1 issued - GAVE UP

CCA Mbna Nov 08- n1 issued - GAVE UP

Marks and Spencer Money Nov 08 -lost found 2b enforceable.

Tomson Holiday - WON

if I help you tip my little scales it gives me a thrill. MT

a point to note with electronic agreements

firstly,

they would need to show that you did indeed put the tick in the box, they normally document the IP address, and email address used in the application , otherwise anyone could simply claim that you ticked the box and that was that.

secondly and most importantly, with most online agreements, there is a blurring of the two agreements

what i mean by this is, when you apply online, you fill in the form etc, so that is the agreement you are sending them. but is it also the agreement they are obliged to send you under s62 or 63? no it cant be can it so they need to also show you were supplied a copy as well

Steven would they have to provide you with copy of your agreement following your application online via post? in other words still supply valid cca? also how would they proove who would have put the tick in the box if more than one person in the house?

muffintop

Won Nationwide £900 and £1908 Bank Charges

Lloyds personal account 1,861

Lloyds Bus Account 2k

Abbey bank acc. Stayed 2008

CCA requested Barclaycard Nov 08 - n1 issued - GAVE UP

CCA Mbna Nov 08- n1 issued - GAVE UP

Marks and Spencer Money Nov 08 -lost found 2b enforceable.

Tomson Holiday - WON

if I help you tip my little scales it gives me a thrill. MT

HI Steve, have just donated to the site - as a way saying thank you for all your advice. By your last statement am I to take it that what I said is do able, but just not cricket so to speak?

It's not just "not cricket" so to speak, it could also be construed as fraudulent behaviour, which carries some very serious legal consequences.

CAG's objective is to help with people with debt control and management, and also empowering people to stand up for their rights, getting wrongfully applied charges, debts, defaults etc refunded or corrected.

CAG is not about encouraging people to avoid paying their genuine debts, as this could then be construed as conspiracy to defraud, with similar serious legal consequences. So all the membership and team here are are very careful to avoid encouraging or getting involved in such practices.

Your proposed plan of action is something that CAG and it's membership frown upon, and will not encourage, condone or help anyone with.

If you've borrowed the money (regardless of the circumstances why you did), and the contract was fair and legal, then it is something you really owe ought to repay.

Trying to take advantage of a loophole, by switching this to and obtaining the services of another card provider, with the deliberate intention of then making a gain is a fraudulent act (which I believe would come under sec 11 of the 2006 act).

If on the other hand your debt contains or consists of some genuinely unfair charges, then there is nothing stopping you contesting and applying for a refund of those.

PM

• Haha 1

All opinions and advice I offer are purely my own, and are offered without any liability. If unsure seek the help of a licensed professional

...just because something's in print doesn't mean its true.... just look at you Banks T&C's for example !