Sorn but parked on road temporarily and now ticket

Hereabc
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5549 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi,

I would be grateful for your advice.

I have a car which I declared sorn a few months ago. The MOT ran out as did the insurance and I had it parked on the driveway so not on public road.

However, I moved the car and parked it just outside my house, which was only to move something from the garage. I did not drive it. But then I had to go away suddenly for the day and stupidly did not park it back on the driveway. When I returned that night, I had a police notice stating that they were reporting my car to the DVLA.

I have reparked it on the drive.

It has been about a week now and have been waiting for a letter from DVLA.

What will be the penalties and will this go to court and get a criminal record?

Thank you.

Think you got off lightly my friend moved his car off the drive(sorn) as the front door is at the side and he was having a new sofa delivered (the van was there dropping it off) and they where fetching the old one out and DVLA turned up asked why is the car not taxed he explained he had to move it off the drive for 5mins while they got the sofa in didnt want to know and clamped it he was so peeved off he told them fine if you want to be funny it went to court he explained and showed pics he was a lot more cash after that judge found in DVLA favour

Regards DK

Please Tip My Scales if Info was Use full

Thank you for your comments.

Sorry, Pat Davies, I did not quite understand your reply. I think you are saying, it is not sufficient not to have driven it? Or to have reparked it on the drive?

I know I should not have been on a public road no matter how long or short a time. And know that I will just have to face the conequences.

I have not just got a ticket/warning. It was apolice warning telling me that they have reported me. I am actually waiting to hear from the DVLA as to what penalties I have to face and whether I will go to court.

Any advice as to what to do and what they are likely to penalise me with?

I have not actually taken out a new tax disc yet, as I still do not want to drive it yet, but should I take one out now?

Thank you for your help.

Thank you for your comments.

Sorry, Pat Davies, I did not quite understand your reply. I think you are saying, it is not sufficient not to have driven it? Or to have reparked it on the drive?

No, what patdavies is raising is that just because the public have general access to the road, that does not make it a "public road maintained at public expense". e.g. you may live in a private estate where the roadways are still paid for to be maintained by the estate managers. The public have access to these roads, but the council do not pay for the repairs so in terms of the SORN offence, there isn't one. :)

Thank you Crem for explaining that to me.

Unfortunately, it was parked on a public road for the day.

Then, I'm afraid the phrase is "banged to rights".

Any advice as to what to do and what they are likely to penalise me with?

£80 fixed penally, reduced to £40 if paid promptly. Plus they can make a supplementary charge for the VED due between now and the date that the car was last taxed or you became registered keeper (whichever is the later)

I have not actually taken out a new tax disc yet, as I still do not want to drive it yet, but should I take one out now?

If you intend to drive it this month, you may as well get VED now - it is dated from the start of the month anyway.

Thank you for your kind help patdavies.

When I parked for the day on the public road, it did not have MOT or insurance as I was planning on doing all of that in Feb/March of this year in readiness for taxing when I would then start driving the car again.

By not having MOT and insurance (although not driving it) will it make any added difference to the fine of £40/80?

Reading the different threads on this site, I am a little confused why some go to court and some do not.

By the supplementary charge, is it simply paying the difference or is there 'added interest' etc on top.

I have applied for a job and am in the middle of having a 'good character check' will this affect it in anyway (criminal conviction?)

Thank you again for your help.

• 4 weeks later...

I have today received a letter from the DVLA asking me for £79 as an out of court settlement. (No reduced fee for early payment). They refer only to the car being untaxed on the day and state that the out of court offer does not include any other offences which the police or court may be pursuing.

Do you think that there will be any other offences and if so, when will I hear? I have read of other people being pursued on these forums even after paying the out of court offer?

As I had not been using the car, it was uninsured and no MOT at the time of parking it briefly onto the road. It now has a MOT and insurance.

As I am still not using the car, I have parked it on the driveway (as it was until I temporarily parked it there for one day). I am now thinking of using it and want to get a tax disc.

Am I allowed to drive to the DVLA to get it as I cannot find my V5 so need V62 which only DVLA will process (not post office)

Thank you for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you Buzby and Pat. I did not drive to the DVLA as advised and got my car tax disc last week.

I already had a V62 from the Post Office, but thank you Pat for attaching it to your reply. I also had to fill in a V10 but it was fine to do that at the DVLA.