Be careful as to what details and documents you post here on CAG

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5554 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I guess that's me screwed then.

Why don't you get a mod to change it to Not My Real Name...that should confuse the PPCs. :-D

Seriously - Crusher any chance of this thread or one similiar being made in a stick for this forum. I think any new posters need to be warned before they post.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I my experience stickies tend to get ignored, ones like this that get bumped regularly get better coverage.

But to be sure, I'll pop another warning thread in the stickies bit later to cover all bases.

This is currently a serous threat to our users.

Why don't you get a mod to change it to Not My Real Name...that should confuse the PPCs. :-D
But then nobody would know who I was.

Seriously - Crusher any chance of this thread or one similar being made in a stick for this forum. I think any new posters need to be warned before they post.
Another vote for a sticky here.

never give personal details that could identify you either in posts or in PMs unless you are very very sure who you are talking to. never say who was driving the car when its a PPC invoice. could these comments be added to the closed sticky please ?

Here you go Crusher, I've done the donkey work for you.

Please be aware: These forums are browsed by Private Parking Companies who will copy and use details from this site if they can.

Before Posting any images or documents to the site please make sure that you remove any identifying details.

These include (but are not exclusive to)

• Name
  • Address
  • Vehicle Registration Mark (VRM)
  • Date
  • Time
  • Invoice Number or Reference
  • Barcodes

• Make sure your forum user name does not give any hint to your identity.

• Make sure you do not name the driver or give other details in any post or private message (PM).

• Before giving any details in a Private Message or other communciation make sure you know who you are talking to and that they can be trusted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This does not constitute legal advice and is not represented as a substitute for legal advice from an appropriately qualified person or firm.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does that make you an ass? :-D

(Sorry! :razz:)

you forgot the -hole on the end of ass. At least that's what my work mates call me. :D

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry but I still think you've all gone a bit overboard and a bit 'scaremonger' on this issue.

To identify you the PPC need-

Ticket/Invoice number

Vehicle Index

Name

Address

Location of incident

Date of incident

Time of incident

(in order of usefulness to the PPC, as I see it)

Beyond having some of this there's no massive danger of identification. Common sense is needed, yes, but a huge scaremongering is not needed. This will put people off asking for advice. Yes the PPCs trawl the place and read threads but I'd have to ask - so what?

I'm yet to hear of a case where I thought the PPC were entitled to the funds they were asking for. Worst case scenario - they do identify someone - that person's defence is as solid as it was before their identity was known. I appreciate the 'don't say who was driving' argument and I see some merit in it, but not a lot at all. If a defendant were asked by the DJ then what do you suppose they'd do? They couldn't lie and they couldn't well refuse to say. I remember that case Parky made issue of in Oldham and one of the most critical things the Judge made note of was the defendant making an issue of not saying who was driving. There really is no mileage to this, in my opinion. If you were driving, so what? The issue of due notice, fair terms, penalties and so on all kill the claim before liability is established.

So I'd say people need to take common sense steps to protect their identity, but this isn't something that people need to be scared of. If people are too frightenned to talk here then the place loses its purpose and the PPCs have won. Was their goal really to find people and gather evidence for individual cases? I doubt it, more like their intent was to create a culture of fear and reduce confidence. You're almost doing their job for them, I'd say.

P

Edited by petej2811
Found a silly typo

off topic comments will be removed, this is a serious issue.

I can assure users that there is a real risk of a PPC using information gleaned from here against them.

this should not put anyone off... just be sure to remove personal information as described above.

off topic comments will be removed, this is a serious issue.

I can assure users that there is a real risk of a PPC using information gleaned from here against them.

this should not put anyone off... just be sure to remove personal information as described above.

We get all that. But what were the circumstances in which a PPC used information gleaned from here in a court case?

As I said, there are legal issues with doing that, depending on the circumstances.

Can you please elaborate?

best policy is to treat all PPCs the same. Why 'distinguish' one or two ? often there is common interest across multiple companies. And there have been posts claiming that there is information sharing website out there specifically for use by PPCs. In light of that far far better to just name the PPCs that send lawful and legal paperwork. That list is currently empty !!

best policy is to treat all PPCs the same. Why 'distinguish' one or two ? often there is common interest across multiple companies. And there have been posts claiming that there is information sharing website out there specifically for use by PPCs. In light of that far far better to just name the PPCs that send lawful and legal paperwork. That list is currently empty !!

If there is such a website its use would be criminal per the DPA. I'd go in with anyone to shut that down through the Courts and via the ICO were someone to point me in the right direction.