style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5585 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

ok getting annoyed with trying to get a basic account.

Co op would not accept my id, as the lady in the post office had not done the correct procedure!!

I am trying with barclays, but their line is always busy charging me while i wait.

Does anyone have any experience in obtainting a barclays basic account after going BR where you previously owed them money?

I have given up with the co op as my nearest branch is 50 miles away and all this id red tape is driving me mad.

The OR said they werent interested in my lloyds basic account, so maybe i should call lloyds and find out what they think. A friend of mine was allowed to downgrade from her silver lloyds account to a basic when she went BR.

Any advice would be great. As i'm finding it annoying.:mad:

sorry gemini to hear of your problem , but unfortunately you have the only choice between the co-op and barclays,

i was refused with the co op because i owed them money but barclays no probLem although it took a while to set up.

i donj;t know abotu poist office and benefit being paid into it i will think u will have no probem to receive just your benefit into it and nothing else.

if in the worst case u can try think banking , but they do charge a monthly fees for the account.

i was in the same situation as yours before my barclays account was set up be patient.. in the worst case can ypu put yur wages or benefit into a trusted friend/family account

Ok i was REFUSED the barclays cash card account???

Why?

I told them i went BR 2 weeks ago, showed them the offical document, also told them that barclays were my creditors. No problem they say. I also had all my ID.

The manager came in to help the girl do the application, the manager said she had to go so far and suspend the application and then go into it as a manager to override the credit check. While they did this they said they would call me shortly if i had to go, so about 40 mins later they call me and say unfortunately the application was declined.

They were applying for the correct account as i saw the screen and the form they had.

I said hey? The assistant said to try again in 3 months as the system may have not caught up yet??? Caught up with what? There was no credit check?

I dont understand what the problem is has anyone else heard of this?

Could they have applied on their system incorrectly?

The co op is too far away from me 50 miles! Had enough of their id checks and post office invalid paperwork.

The amount of money i am spending on my mobile to call these people is on real.

Has anyone had an experience with HSBC basic account? I noticed that on some info i found via my local council that HSBC did not mention they would not take on bankrupts like the other banks do.

urrggghhhh :mad:

Has anyone had an experience with the bank accounts that charge you a set up fee? e.g Managed Banking with No Credit Checks, open to everyone – onebanking, Make a fresh start! Bank account available with previous bad credit or Basic bank accounts & no credit check bank accounts they charge around £30 to £40 intial set up fee and then a monthly fee of around £13. They state they take the intial fee from the first amount of money deposited.

They are aimed at bankrupts and have no credit check.

How do you do your banking with them? As they aren't a highstreet bank, is it the post office?

Look forward to hearing from someone as really getting hacked off not being able to get an account.

i have been reading on the net that a building society you my stand a better chance with. Open a savings acc with a cash card. They recommend waiting a couple of months so that the application doesnt get caught up in the BR updates.

Any thoughts on this? :confused:

No strong views either way.

If it works then that's fine - it's another option for you.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)

The charges do seem pretty high - £180 in the first year and then £150/yr.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

are those prices for the credit card

I don't pay that

No, these are the charges for the accounts that the OP was asking about in post 7. These accounts do include a [pre-paid] credit card but are also normal bank accounts.

hI

I too went bankbrupt a couple of weeks ago, i have my phone interview with the OR on 10th feb, but i have been able to sort out a bank account, well two actually. The 1st (as i need to have my wages paid into account today) was with Think bank account, this has an inital charge of £25.00 then you have to pay £12.50 monthly fee for managing account. You get a mastro card, not credit checks, on line banking, managed account so you never get charges, plus you get your account number and sort code immediatley. The 2nd account which i found out about today is the Co-op bank, i did ring them last week answered loads of questions and told them about BR, they were great but application had to go to under writer which took a little time. This is a free account as long as you dont get overdrawn, you get an electron card, internet banking and you can pay money into the post office. They were very nice. Co-op number is 08457240752 and the think bank is 08000747772 (forgot to mention i told think about bankrucpy as well). As for the HSBC i did have a basic account with them which i opened just before i became BR i was going to try for an IVA, but was unsucessful, but i did tell them at the branch what i was doing re: IVA, they seemed fine explained about basic account etc. When OR said it was ok to keep this account, i called them and told them about BR and they were very rude and said account would be frozen and that i was not to use it.

Good luck

Hi

Back in Dec, we went into Barclays and explained we were going BR on the 15 Jan. ( We owe them 5 grand). We asked if we could open a basic account despite this and one was sorted there and then. After we went BR I asked the OR if this account would be frozen and she said thats between me and the bank so same day, we went to Barclays, told them we are BR and is it going to affect our new account. They said they have no interest in a basic account and that it will not be frozen, They said if there were a hiccup, they would simply open a new account and transfer all dd's and payments etc for us.

As far as a post office cash account goes...it is for benefits only, no cash can be paid in etc. I am finding using money as opposed to a card so easy now. The OR will not be bothered about this account.

Hazel:-)

Hi all, I went bankrupt July 2005 and discharged January 2006, and I had my bank account frozen with HSBC. I needed to get a basic account to get my wages paid in and I managed to get a basic bank account with Barclay's (even though I had credit card debit with them which was part of the bankruptcy) which I had to apply for on-line as my branch said that they don't do basic bank account applications in branch! I stayed with them for a few years but got ****ed off with them over various issues. I opened up a basic bank account with the Halifax and have got a visa electron card.

Try the Halifax and also try Nationwide as they offer a basic bank account and I know someone that was still undischarged who got one. If you can't get into the branches try applying online.

Hope this helps. x

As far as a post office cash account goes...it is for benefits only, no cash can be paid in etc.

You are referring to the Post Office Card Account. I thought the PO also did normal savings accounts? Must check - have to go in there later.