• Tweets

• Thank goodness it's not your roof and you get to foot the bill! How big are these bits of mortar? How often are they falling into your garden? Hourly, daily? Just go ahead with your plans, of course, they're not going to be worried by your time pressures and the urgency of the situation, so simply carry on as you would have done and I'm sure everything will go fine. Unless there is a danger to life and serious structural issues which mean you cannot venture into your garden, then IMHO there is little more you can do less for what you have done so already and made them aware of the issue.
    • Hi all!   Thank you in advance for any help you can give me!!    I parked up (at 18:08) in a rush, entered my Reg and paid for an hour of parking. At 18:20 I got a ticket for not paying for parking.    I've just looked at my receipt and noticed why ... I put "22" instead of "21"  when i put in my Reg. yes... what a stupid mistake.    I seem to remember there being a court case or a rule change about entering the wrong reg but the company wasn't at a loss because i had paid for the parking just technically for the wrong car. Am i making that up?    Any advice would be gratefully received, even some key points i have to hit when doing the appeal      
    • You haven't returned to the thread to give us your views, but a couple of other things strike me which you should consider: 1. You say that at no time was your father's licence revoked by the DVLA. It didn't have to be revoked. It expired in September and his "entitlement to drive" (of which the licence provides proof) expired along with it. He could only continue driving whilst his application was being processed by virtue of s88, and it seems clear to me (based on what you have said) that he was not able to take advantage of the benefits provided by that section. 2. The letter he received threatening to revoke his licence was probably a template letter sent when any medical issues are brought to the attention of the DVLA. But it is clear that beyond September until it was eventually renewed, your father had no valid licence to be revoked. I believe a "not guilty" plea in court will fail. The basic facts are that your father's licence expired in September, it was not renewed until February because the DVLA were looking into his medical declaration and he could not take advantage of s88. So in December he had no licence and no entitlement to drive under s88. The facts that he believed he was fit to drive and that his licence was eventually renewed may mitigate the offence but they do not provide a defence. I also asked whether he had received a summons (very unusual these days) or whether he had received a "Single Justice Procedure Notice". The way to proceed from here differs slightly depending on what he has received so if you let me know, I'll advise further.  
    • Well, what I've read from various sources suggest if a CCJ is 6 years old that if becomes pretty much ineffective for enforcement purposes in its original form.  And that if it's about to expire then the claimant needs to apply to the court to extend the original CCJ within the final year.  Even if they do apply for an extension within the 6 years they have to have a very strong argument for doing so such as the person being out of the country or could not be traced, basically show they were actively still perusing the debt I guess. Now if a claimant ever does apply within the 6 years to extend the CCJ, would the person named on if be notified by the court that such an application has been made?.  In my case I've heard nothing from the court so assume no such application has been made.  The original CCJ in my own case is now a year beyond the 6 years of issue so must now make things even less likely again. So whilst the CCJ exists that they have not enforced it in that time must surely make it unlikely they can now take it back to court because as said it would be very rare for a judge to agree to such action now. That said, I guess they now can't use the CCJ to continue with any action for an attachment order to our mortgage either?
    • Donald Trump now banned from countries including Canada and UK as convicted felon WWW.INDEPENDENT.CO.UK There are 37 countries that bar felons from entering, even to visit.  
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Repo order help with defence needed.

cosalt
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5015 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

The court have said point blank I can't apply for set aside, it must be appeal, if I do appeal once this is done it will stop the repo order and the order to pay costs.

I think the claimants will be scratching their heads now because I think they concentrated on the repo as they thought the vehicle was worth more than the outstanding amount and by repo they would get their money. Now they know it is only worth a couple of hundred at the most and will need recovering offsetting any value, they wont get their money unless they back to claim the money, which presumably based on my fiancial position could be £10 a week.

Could it be worth offering them a one off settlement now, as its in their control to either go further or not, especially if I make it clear an appeal is being prepared.

It's always worth negotiating.

If they have now realised that the car isn't worth much, they might now focus on a money claim for the unpaid amounts. It's not clear from the order whether they would need to start a new claim. If they have to start a new claim for money, then you have another opportunity to defend (unless it's the same judge :eek:).

Personally, if the court will not budge on set aside or give reasons for not allowing it, then I would appeal.

LA

• Replies 543
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well put simply. I don't know what to do now :(

I would follow his Lordship's advice! Call or visit the court and explain the situation to the court manager and explain that you would like to make an application for a set-aside, but that if this is definitely not going to be allowed then you will be appealing, then do whiichever you need to do. That's what I'd do, I think you have a strong case if it goes to appeal, or even if you get a set aside hearing...

Colin

Edited by colin21958
I wish I could spell, or type, or both!

Here are links to my other threads... Please take a look and offer any help you can. Thanks...

1. Legal Action - Cabot Financial (Goldfish Account) ***WON***

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?252630-Urgent-Help-Required-With-Disclosure-***WON***&highlight=

2. Legal Action - Set aside application - Marlins/Phoenix

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?265002-Set-aside-of-judgement-(acceptance)-help-needed&highlight=

3. Legal Action - Set Aside Default Judgement -Santander (B & Q Store Card)

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?261340-Urgent-Help-required-drafting-defence-for-set-aside-application&highlight

You can make a donation here:

Well put simply. I don't know what to do now :(

Its obvious the court is arsing about, and probably ain't got a f#####g clue what to do so why don't you just put in for an appeal and forget setting it aside?

Its up to you cosalt but obviously the court is wasting valuable time [your time] and this is not good. Once you put in an application to appeal that should slow things down until your get everything in order AGAIN.

:-x You should ask this court and the who ever your talking to have that got a bloody idea what the hell there on about:-x

• Haha 1

I would follow his Lordship's advice! Call or visit the court and explain the situation to the court manager and explain that you would like to make an application for a set-aside, but that if this is definitely not going to be allowed then you will be appealing, then do whiichever you need to do. That's what I'd do, I think you have a strong case if it goes to appeal, or even if you get a set aside hearing...

Colin

I agree!

LA

;)

Its obvious the court is arsing about, and probably ain't got a f#####g clue what to do so why don't you just put in for an appeal and forget setting it aside?

Its up to you cosalt but obviously the court is wasting valuable time [your time] and this is not good. Once you put in an application to appeal that should slow things down until your get everything in order AGAIN.

:-x You should ask this court and the who ever your talking to have that got a bloody idea what the hell there on about:-x

I agree with this too!

Your choice cosalt - both options are fine.

LA

;)

...Yep, or you could do that of course...! :oops: ... :smile:

Here are links to my other threads... Please take a look and offer any help you can. Thanks...

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?252630-Urgent-Help-Required-With-Disclosure-***WON***&highlight=

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?265002-Set-aside-of-judgement-(acceptance)-help-needed&highlight=

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?261340-Urgent-Help-required-drafting-defence-for-set-aside-application&highlight

So, at least we're all agreed then! :lol:

Agree? we aint got time to agree JUST DO IT as starsky would say to hutch :D

Absolutely, I'm still with you on that one too! :D

Right appeal it is then, not only for my benefit but for the benefit of anyone with a dodgy DN.

I could try and negotiate but why should I? I know I am right so why give in ?

I'm going to appeal, win and get all my costs back and CAG will benefit from a donation as a result !

cosalt.

Right appeal it is then, not only for my benefit but for the benefit of anyone with a dodgy DN.

I'm going to appeal, win and get all my costs back and CAG will benefit from a donation as a result !

cosalt.

Go for it...! And you can rest assured of plenty of help from everyone here...! Especially as it's an issue which affects so many people here!

Now I just need help with the forms.........:D

We'll muddle through I'm sure! :)

cosalt.

Good now thats what I like. I don't want to go in to too much detail, but anyone who read my thread "is it a mistake or fraud" would look at this thread as a walk in the park.

Bottom line was in my case is that I knew that there was something wrong, and despite all the thrashing and belting from legalpickle I still did not want to give in. In fact I was so determined I was right that I could not ever take no for an answer, I fought and fought and when I had nothing left I fought some more, and I WON.

So cosalt like I said you can do this, trust me when you win you will feel on top of the world like I do today, just better remember not to stay up there too long hey ;), got more matters to deal with.

Anyway, my advice is stay calm, think clearly and positive. If you think and believe your right then you have to fight. That is my middle of the years new resolution.

:D;):p:D agree everyone?

I WON WITH LEGALPICKLES HELP, AS I WOULD NOT HAVE BEEN ABLE TO DO IT IF IT WAS NOT FOR HIM, FORGOT TO MENTION THAT ABOVE, DON'T WANT ANOTHER BASHING FROM HIM

As I see it to put in an appeal I initially need to supply the following:-

Completed form and number of copies as requested.

Copy of order being appealed.

A skeleton argument, which I assume can be based on what I said for the set aside - help adapting may be required ! :D

A copy of the order refusing permission to appeal, together with a copy of the judges reasons.

Now I believe the last point involves form N460 ? which the judge should have completed. I asked the court about this and they said although they have heard of the form, the judge does not have to complete one at this level, only if at the next stage the circuit judge refuses will it be completed.

If and when the appeal is granted permission, I then will need further things such as the judges transcript etc. Can someone confirm this is correct ??

Anyway, my advice is stay calm, think clearly and positive. If you think and believe your right then you have to fight. That is my middle of the years new resolution.

:D;):p:D agree everyone?

Of course! :D:D:D everyone will agree! :-) We're a very agreeable lot! :lol:

I don't know the exact procedure and hopefully someone will be able top advise further, maybe you could pm PT2357 and point him to your link, he is very good at this stuff.

Hope this is of some help,

http://www.rcjadvice.org.uk/documents/Howtoappealacourtdecision.pdf

Thanks that link is very usefull.

I have pm'd pt2357 but he says he will not acceot pm's asking for help so I hope ive done the right thing :oops:

I have pm'd pt2357 but he says he will not acceot pm's asking for help so I hope ive done the right thing :oops:

PT is busy, but I would think he will let you know who to contact, or forward your message to someone who can help... If you don't hear back from him try contacting one of the other site team members (anyone who is online - check the bottom of the home page for people who are online) and they will put others in contact with you who can help; they did for me...

Here is the argument step by step as to why a DN can be faulty. Just amend to your situation.

To explain simply, why your conclusion is incorrect, I would refer you to the consumer credit act 1974, in particular to sections 87 & 88 below.

Section 87. Need for Default Notice

(1) Service of a notice on the Debtor or hirer in accordance with section 88 (a "Default Notice ") is necessary before the creditor or owner can become entitled, by reason of any breach by the Debtor or hirer of a regulated Agreement -

(a) to terminate the Agreement, or

(b) to demand earlier payment of any sum, or

© to recover possession of any goods or land, or

(d) to treat any right conferred on the Debtor or hirer by the Agreement as terminated, restricted or deferred, or

(e) to enforce any security.

The Act also sets out via Section 88(1), that the Default Notice must be in the prescribed form, as below:

Section 88.

(1) The default notice must be in the prescribed form

and specify—

(a) the nature of the alleged breach;

(b) if the breach is capable of remedy, what action is required to remedy it

and the date before which that action is to be taken;

© if the breach is not capable of remedy, the sum (if any) required to be

paid as compensation for the breach, and the date before which it is to be paid.

(2) A date specified under subsection (1) must not be less than fourteen days after the date of service of the default notice, and the creditor or owner shall not take action

such as is mentioned in section 87(1) before the date so specified or (if no requirement is made under subsection ( 1)) before those fourteen days have elapsed.

(3) The default notice must not treat as a breach failure to comply with a provision of the agreement which becomes Operative only on breach of some other provision, but if the breach of that other provision is not duly remedied or compensation demanded under subsection (I) is not duly paid, or (where no requirement is made under subsection ~1)) if the fourteen days mentioned in subsection (2) have elapsed, the creditor or owner may treat the failure as a breach and section 87(1) shall not apply to it.

(4) The default notice must contain information in the prescribed terms about the consequences of failure to comply with it.

(5) A default notice making a requirement under subsection (1) may include a

provision for the taking of action such as is mentioned in section 87(1) at any time after the restriction imposed by subsection (2) will cease, together with a statement that the provision will be ineffective if the breach is duly remedied or the compensation duly paid.

You will note from section 87 above, that for xxxxxxxxx ( Name of OC ) to enjoy the benefits of that section, you are required to issue a Default Notice, compliant with section 88 of the act. Part 2 of section 88 above, demands that the debtor be given 14 clear days from service, to rectify any breach. I have highlighted that point, to enable you to easily find it.

For the avoidance of doubt, Service, in this instance by post, is laid down in the Interpretation Act 1978, further updated 1116th April 1985. The relevant section is copied below for your convenience.

1. Interpretation Act 1978, Section 7

Where an Act authorises or requires any document to be served by post (whether the expression "serve" or the expressions "give" or "send" or any other expression is used) then, unless the contrary intention appears, the service is deemed to be effected by properly addressing, pre-paying and posting a letter containing the document and, unless the contrary is proved, to have effected at the time at which the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post."

2. Practice Direction

Service of Documents - First and Second Class Mail.

With effect from 16 April 1985 the Practice Direction issued on 30 July 1968 is hereby revoked and the following is substituted therefore.

1. Under S7 of the Interpretation Act 1978 service by post is deemed to have been effected, unless the contrary has been proved, at the time when the letter would be delivered in the ordinary course of post.

2. To avoid uncertainty as to the date of service it will be taken (subject to proof to the contrary) that delivery in the ordinary course of post was effected:-

(a) in the case of first class mail, on the second working day after posting;

(b) in the case of second class mail, on the fourth working day after posting.

"Working days" are Monday to Friday, excluding any bank holiday.

3. Affidavits of service shall state whether the document was dispatched by first or second class mail. If this information is omitted it will be assumed that second class mail was used.

4. This direction is subject to the special provisions of RSC Order 10, rule 1(3) relating to the service of originating process.

The default Notice issued by xxxxxxxx ( Name of OC) failed to allow for service as clearly required by the act, and as such was defective. The failure of a default notice to be accurate not only invalidates the default notice (Woodchester Lease Management Services Ltd v Swain and Co - [2001] GCCR 2255) but is a unlawful rescission of contract which would not only prevent the court enforcing any alleged debt, but gives rise to a counter claim for damages Kpohraror v Woolwich Building Society [1996] 4 All ER 119

I hope that you can see from the above, why your letter dated xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, is misguided in its contents and how the Default Notice issued to me on xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx, is fatally flawed. Your subsequent actions, seeking the benefit of s 87 of the consumer credit act 1974, following the issue of a defective Default Notice, led to an unlawful rescission of contract, which I have previously accepted in writing.

I await your response, detailing the true arrears at the time of rescission, against which I will make a claim against xxxxxxxxxx ( Name of OC ) for that unlawful rescission.

Yours xxxx,

albiet in good grace i think you are being wrongly advised

a judgement made by a judge who is alleged to have misdirected himself in reaching that judgement is not a matter for a set aside application- it is a matter of an appeal to a higher court and you have/are wasting time messing about with set aside applications

you need to get on with the appeal process

Thanks DD, I think we have established an appeal is the way forward, especially due to the fact that rightly or wrongly the court wont accept the set aside.

I need someone who has gone through / is going through the appeal process to advise what to do.

The forms are pretty straightforward but it doesnt make it clear what information is needed at this stage. ie does my initial applicatio only need a copy of the judgement, my skeleton argument etc. Will I only need the transcript etc once the application has been accepted and is moving towards a hearing.

Its the same as anything really, once you have done it once its easy, but I am sat here not really having a clue. The court office whilst appearing helpful dont really help.

I feel my appeal could be very important to a lot of people as well as me so its important its done quickly and right.

I have pm'd ( wrongly I believe ) pt2537 asking for guidance but I dont think he can help anymore.

What now, I want to get the appeal in today.

My key queries are.

1. What bits of my defence do I need for the skeleton argument and how do I lay it out, should it be to the point or comprehensive.

2. The form asks for an N460 which lays out the judges reasons for not allowing appeal. The court says I dont need it, and the judge doesnt have to complete one.

3. Do I need the transcript now or do I just need to get the ball rolling to use at a later date

any guidance appreciated

sorry cosalt but you may have misunderstood what I advised, which is understandable with all your going through. I said that you should pm PT your link as he does not give advice by pm. I can understand that PT must be very busy, but just trying to do anything that helps, and a few telling offs along the way is OK, I mean just look at LP and me :D

sorry if I did not make myself clearer, so lets get moving on what next to do which is more important.