• Tweets

• I have had a pre "warning" from TM Legal regarding 2 old debts stating they are going to send a claim form in email. I was sent a PAP form which i responded to on both but like a melt i sent their PAP pack back to them in my request for CCA etc using the CAG response form. I have not to my knowledge received a response for either. my question is, will sending their pack back cause me issues in the future? can I request they send this back to me?
    • Your consumer rights within six months If a product develops a fault within the first six months after purchase, it’s assumed it has been there since the time of purchase. This means it’s up to the retailer to prove it wasn’t there when you bought it. If a repair or replacement has failed, you have the right to reject the goods for a full refund or price reduction. Your consumer rights after six months If a fault develops after six months, it’s up to you to prove it was faulty at the time of purchase or delivery.   .
    • Thank Dx , Im guessing its a waiting game for now .
    • Hey Fkofile , Im one of those that have been affected by it ! i made a post about it . my credit score has already been affected by it .
    • We initially raised a complaint with the finance company who told us that as its over 6 months the consumer rights act won’t apply and we would need to provide evidence of the problem being there at purchase. As we have only just got the report from Mercedes we haven’t been able to submit this within their 14 day timeframe. Is this not the case then? Thanks
  • Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
        • Thanks
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Problem with cancelling 'Optional Service Cover' At Brighthouse

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5274 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I have finally got around to telling Brighthouse that i want the 'Optional' Service cover cancelled on 4 items (Tumble Dryer, Sofa, Pc Monitor and Laptop) i am paying for.

I sent the cancellation letter (Thanks Lefty's Factsheet) to Brighthouse's head office by recorded delivery yesterday and handed another copy to the Manager of my local store this morning. Letter is below.

Caversham Finance Limited

Chiltern House

MarsackStreet

Caversham

Reading

Berkshire

RG4 5AP

Date - 7th January 2009

Item Description : 6KG 60cm Vent Dryer White

Rhondo Multi Scat 3 Natur

19in Acer Monitor 192M

Acer TM2491 Laptop

Dear Sir

I am writing to give the required 7 days notice, as detailed in my agreements that I wish to cancel all "optional" service cover on the above products. To simplify matters, I have today the 7th of January 2009 presented a copy of this letter to the store manager of BrightHouse Darlington , which has been duly acknowledged, so 7 days notice shall commence at the date of this letter.

As stated in my agreement:

“Your Obligations: Optional Service Cover Section C (b) The service cover premium is renewable each time your regular instalment is due under the agreement. If the premium is not paid Service Cover will lapse.

Section H (3) This policy shall continue in force until you give seven days notice…”

I shall, therefore, be making my next payment on Wednesday the 14th of January at BrightHouse Darlington. This payment will not include "optional" service cover for the above items.

I understand that I may be required to sign a revised agreement. I will only do this on the firm understanding that all payments made previously on this agreement are reflected in any revised agreement. I do not waive any of my rights under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 regarding, in particular, “early settlement” and “repossession” as set out in section J of the original agreement.

Kind Regards

The manager called me and said he would be happy to re-write my agreements for the 4 items but not until next Saturday (the 17th of January). He wants me to bring in proof of my Income (not a lot since i lost my job) and says he can only do the re-writing of the agreements on Saturday otherwise and i quote 'It will cost you a fortune'. I am happy to go down and do this.

The Manager also told me that i would lose my rights under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 regarding the early settlement and repossession set out in my current agreement. I asked why and he told me it was company policey. Is this right? I am sure it is wrong. Can anyone give me any links or advice about this?

Thanks in advance.

:cool::cool: Blondmusic :cool::cool:

no theres a template here about rewriting you agreement without losing your rights its just another ****house [problem]

regards DK

PS call them and ask can they do a new agreement and give you a copy so you can take it to TS so they can look it over

Please Tip My Scales if Info was Use full

This is total bullsh!t....your rights ARE protected and removing OSC saves you money. You are only AMENDING your existing agreement, not RENEWING it. This manager is talking out of his backside. If he says it whilst your in the store, ask to see this part of the company policy! He is just annoyed because you have cancelled a profit making policy! Take this letter with you:

Original agreement number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

New Agreement number XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Date

Updated agreement to reflect Account Re-Set

IMPORTANT Payments made previously on this agreement (XX payments to date representing XX of the total amount payable) are to be reflected, and form part of, any revised agreement.

All rights under the Consumer Credit Act 1974 regarding, in particular, “early settlement” and “repossession” as set out in section J of the original agreement remain intact and continue uninterrupted into any revised agreement.

Signed - YOU

(Print name)

Signed - Store Manager (for and on behalf of Caversham Finance trading as BrightHouse)

(print name)

If they won't sign it, don't sign their amended agreement. They want your signature, you want theirs - fair deal I'd say. When I removed my policies, I did not have to take any proof of income, so I don't know why they want this? You already have the goods, they can't take them because your income is less/remained the same or increased. Tell him to foxtrot ocsar.

The reason why he said Saturday is because that is the date you have to make your normal payment by - in other words, you pay your current amount this Saturday (as that is within the 7 days) and the following week you sign the new agreement and pay the lower amount.

Did you not remove DLC as well?

Edited by clemma
forgot something

Clemma. I have copies of that letter and plan to make him sign it for all the agreements i want to cancel the service cover on.

I will ask to see the Company Policy regarding the amendment of the agreements.

I cannot cancel the DLC as my Home Insurance does not cover Hire-Purchase Goods. I spoke to the Insurance comapny myself.

In the meantime does anyone have a phone number for Brighthouse's Head Office so i can clarify it with them?

I can't find a number for Caversham Finance (the company behind BH), only there standard "customer service" number - 0800 5780717. To be honest, I don't think you will achieve much by phoning these either :mad:

My home insurance only covers Hire Purchase if I am legally responsible for them - which I am with BH products. I would double check this with your insurer. Either that, or change to a different insurance company that can match your current price that DOES cover HP. It'll save you alot of money in the long run. However, I am pretty sure there is nothing in the T&C's for the damage liability cover that says you have to PROVE your insurance is adequate, just that you need house insurance.

I also told BH that I understood that if anything happened to my items I knew I would still be liable for any outstanding amounts on my agreements. That kept them happy as well (always worth a go).

What is it you need to clarify with Head Office?

Write a letter directly to the store manager asking him to put in writing everything he told you - including all the bull! If you quote him in your letter and ask him to reply to your questions - what choice does he have? Also, cc it to Head Office so they know what you are being told.

Other than that, just check the amended agreements carefully.

Here is the "company policy" on the removal of OSC - and this comes straight from the top. Feel free to quote this, as it was provided to CAG as part of an official statement from BrightHouse:

“…Customers fully understand their rights and obligations under the agreement. The terms and conditions are fully explained to them before they sign the contract. In addition to the purchase of goods through a Hire Purchase contract, customers may choose to take advantage of Optional Service Cover. This cover is optional, and the customer has the right to cancel it at any time.” - David Harwood, Company Secretary

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

Please help to support this site with a small donation... every little helps...

CAG- The Nation's Weekly Info Store!

;)

I did it!! I got the service cover cancelled on 4 of the 5 items i am buying from Brighthouse. This has saved me a total of £8 per week.

The only item i have to leave the Service Cover on for is the washing machine from hell which will be in The News Of The World soon!!

Thank you to everyone here for your help.

Why did you have to leave it on for the washing machine? I know this may seem like a daft question. You are covered anyway by The Sales of Good (Implied Terms) Act 1973 anyway, so I am struggling to understand - sorry.

The only item i have to leave the Service Cover on for is the washing machine from hell which will be in The News Of The World soon!!

Why? Curious...

Cheers

Lefty

If the left side of the brain controls your right, and the right side controls your left, then left-handed people are always in their right mind!

;)

The washing machine is a total pain in the rear end. I have had nothing but trouble with it since i got it. The machine breaks down every couple of months or so with the same fault. It was a Quality Refurbished machine when i got it. I honestly need to have it working all the time.

The service cover means i can get it fixed pretty quickly. I know i should probably cancel it but i really don't need the hassle of arguing with Brighthouse if it goes wrong again. Besides it is nearly paid off and i intend to save up, go to argos and buy myself a brand new machine that works (Hopefully).

Well BH are your worst enemy, so when it finally dies and you get your new one from someone else, let me know, I have a van, we can take it and leave it on their doorstep lol.

PlumberJon :-D

UNUS VIR OBVIAM ORBIS TERRARUM

Are you being harrassed by a DCA or Brighthouse. Click the link for OFT Debt collection guidelines. Chances are, they could be in breach of some part of sections 2 or 3 or both!

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft664.pdf

I just give advice, I can't do it for you though!!

If you were helped, then please wiggle my scales, and you might get a wiggle back!!!

LOL. Thanks for the offer but when it finally dies i will take it to the local tip so that no-one else ever has problems with it again. My mate has a big car so we should be able to manage. I would not give it back to Brighthouse because i would feel sorry for the next poor customer to be lumbared with it.

• 10 months later...

hi im new to this, just wondering if anyone could help!

I stupidly purchased a beko fridge freezer from bright house a year ago, I have both the osc and dlc.

It has now broke and somebody is due to come out to fix it tomorrow, but all my food in my fridge and my freezer has gone bad and has had to be thrown away (it broke sunday). I have been told by brighthouse i am not entitled to any vouchers or cash to buy more food, i can if i have receipts have money taken off my fridge freezer, is this right? Dont know what im going to do as im a single parent and ive been stocking up for Christmas!

hi iv been wid them (bh) for like 2 years now an on my fist agreement i sed i dont want(osc) i was told i hade to take out ther (osc) to obtain credit so i did. now cos ov this site i no it is ''optional'' so if i got home home contents insurance can i go in whith that on the payment date an a letter telling them i wanna cancel (osc) with a 7 day notice letter. do thay really take(osc)off. an i wanting people that have hade it taken off ther accounts to let me no an what bank will cover it cos ther is a lot ov talk an no saying about what banks will cover it so if all this i true people need to no the facts to help them like me

Hi there.

You will find you have not one but TWO add-on policies you are paying extra on each week.

One is called Optional Service Cover (OSC), and the other is called Damage Liability Cover (DLC)

OSC is completely optional, and you can simply cancel it with 7 days (written) notice.

DLC, on the other hand, is compulsary if you do not have home contents insurance.

I am unable to provide you with a list of banks (I'm guessing by banks you mean insurance providers?) but you will need a home contents policy that "covers items subject to a hire purchase agreement that you are responsible for."

You will find more details and some template letters HERE to enable you to cancel OSC and DLC.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Lefty

;)

i now no that natwest will cover the (dlc) at (bh)

chatinfo.gifThank you for your interest. An adviser will be with you shortly. This chat may be monitored or recorded to ensure quality of service.

Please remember not to give any personal information (such as passwords, account numbers etc.) during the web session.

Please note if any personal information is given, it will only be used with regards to this specific enquiry and will not be used for any other purpose.

chatinfo.gifYou are now connected with Matt

Matt: Hello you're chatting with Matt, may I take your name please?

dave: hi its dave

Matt: Thank you Dave, how can I help you today?

dave: will youre home contents insurance cover hp

Matt: I'll just need to find out for you

dave: ta this is not for car all items in my home im legally responsible

Matt: The policy covers:

Matt: Household goods, Personal Possessions, satellite dishes, aerials and any other articles that belong to You, or are

Matt: the responsibility of You, any member of Your Family who live with You, domestic staff who live in, or visitors

Matt: So yes, it would cover hire purchase as long as the contract you took out for them makes them 'your responsibility'

dave: thay are the legal owners till iv payed it of but i hold legal responsible the hire purchase is rent to buy so as long as i pay i hold legal responsible

Matt: So yes, it would be covered in that situation

Hi Dave

Yep. That ought do it. :)

Remember, DLC is completely seperate to OSC. Make sure BOTH services are removed.

Cheers

Lefty

;)