Car Insurance

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5610 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Last night I got pulled over by the police for speeding, however when they checked the details of the car they said that I was not insured to drive it.

The car is covered fully comp by my girlfriend and I am covered on another veichle 3rd party fire and theft, I thought this would cover me.

Am I in the wrong?

Yes, it is highly probable you are wrong.

To drive her car you would either have to be a named driver on her policy or have a clause on your policy allowing you to "drive other vehicles" (DOV clause). AFAIK DOV clauses are not available to policy holders unless they have a fully comp policy on their own car in the first place, which you say you haven't.

AFAIK DOV clauses are not available to policy holders unless they have a fully comp policy on their own car in the first place, which you say you haven't.

Not true in all cases. Last year, my TPFT policy also included DOV. Check your policy.

Most policyholders are covered to drive other vehicles not belonging to them and not hired to them under a hire purchase agreement whether their policies are comprehensive or third party.

No need to check the policy, driving entitlements will be written on your Certificate of Motor Insurance.

Most over 25s are covered TPO on other vehicles for occasional use.

Check your policy-it will be on the certifcate of insurance

It is generally only available if your own policy on your own car is fully comp but there are policies out there that have the extension on TPFT policies.

You need to check your certificate. The DOC (Driving other cars) benefit will be written on there. It doesn't matter if you are fully comprehensive or Third Party fire and theft, both covers can allow this. Certain occupations will exclude this (motor trade) and certain insurers (HSBC) now issue new policies without it.

In essence you need to check your certificate of insurance, or contact your insurer or broker.