• Tweets

• Yeah I figured, unlikely I'll need credit anyway mortgage all paid off etc so I'll take that on the chin and learn from the experience. Probably would've beaten that too had I remembered the protocol, first time ever going through the process though sob it wasn't familiar to me  Oh well  
    • This is my slightly amended WS taking on board your previous comments, any suggestions for amendments would be most appreciated.  Thank you for you time.   1.        I am the Defendant in this matter. 2.        The facts in this statement come from my personal knowledge. 3.        I became aware of original Judgement following a routine credit check on or around 14th September 2020. 4.        The alleged Letter of Claim dated 7 January 2020 was served to a previous address which I moved out of in 2018, no effort was made to ascertain my correct address. 5.        The Judgement debt was not familiar to me so I began investigations to ascertain what the debt related to and how such a figure had been equated in any event. 6.        I made immediate contact with the Court, the Claimant Solicitors and the Claimants thereafter, asking them to provide me with a copy of the original loan agreement but this was not provided to me.  7.        I sent a Data Subject access Request to Barclays but no agreement was provided – See appendix 1 which details the timeline of communication between myself and Barclaycard as well as copies of correspondence between us. 8.        I do not admit to entering an agreement with Barclaycard in 2000. 9.       The claimant has failed to comply with the additional directions ordered by District Judge Davis and therefore this claim should be automatically struck out.  10.    The claimants have failed to disclose a true executed copy of the original agreement they refer to within the particulars of this claim. They are not entitled to enforce the agreement pursuant to section 78.6 (a) of the Credit Consumer Act 1974 12.   The reconstituted standard Barclaycard agreement that the claimant has included in the court bundle does not satisfy any CCA request and so the claimant is and remains in default of my CCA request and therefore unable to enforce the alleged agreement. 13.  The claimants have failed to provide proof the assignment, such as a deed of assignment. 14.  The claimant has failed to provide a statement of account setting out how the alleged debt accrued under that agreement 15.   Despite numerous requests to the claimant, I have still not seen any evidence, such as an original agreement or deed of assignment, that substantiates the claimant’s assertion that I owe the debt to the claimant, nor evidence of how the debt was accrued. 16.   As per CPR 1.4(2)(a) the court encourages parties to cooperate with each other in the conduct of proceedings in order to try and save time and costs for the parties and to also save the time and resources of the court however, despite vast attempts at mediation the claimants have been most unreasonable and have remained unwilling to mediate. I believe that the facts stated in this Witness Statement are true.  I understand that proceedings for contempt of court may be brought against anyone who makes, or causes to be made, a false statement in a document verified by a statement of truth without an honest belief in its truth.
    • A set aside application costs £275 which is more than the judgement so not worth it. Not that they would grant a set aside anyway.  Set asides are granted, for example, to people who moved and didn't get the court papers, so have a genuine reason for not defending.  Forgetting doesn't count. Your only choices are to pay up within 30 days, or defy the court and not pay.  If the latter, we've never seen a PPC enforce judgement for a single ticket, ever, you would get away without paying - but you would have a CCJ and a knackered credit file for six years.
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

VG - Vs Northen Rock - Charging Order

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 3160 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I am presuming that you have not received an interim Charging Order yet ?

Firstly, contact CCCS and do a review of your Income and Expenditure of your DMP. Make sure you build in a cost of living increase on your expenditure as most things will increase in price over the next few months (Food, utility bills, etc.). Ask them to send you a copy of the new I & E.

Next, get a defence together to post to the court. This needs to arrive at least 7 days before the hearing and MUST go by Recorded Delivery at least, or if you can get to the court then take it in person.

Your defence will list the points you may wish to make :-

1/ Have all the other creditors been informed of the hearing ?

2/ If not, why not ?

3/ I am currently in a Debt Management Plan with Consumer Credit Counselling Service who have structured pro rata offers to all my creditors.

This arrangement has been accepted and has been in place for over ** months with all creditors having frozen the interest.

Even ******* Bank (Complete if you have a debt larger than that of Northern Rock) whose debt is in excess of the CCJ debt have maintained a dignified approach to my Debt Management Plan.

The only creditor that has been the exception is Northern Rock.

4/ You should point out any particular hardship which your family would suffer if a charging order was to be requested by Northern Rock and possibly lead to the sale of the home. This is particularly important if the debt is in your name but you own your home jointly so it is not even your partner's debt.

5/ You may also wish to apply for a "Time Order" as suggested by rory32 earlier in the thread.

When you have completed composing your defence ( not forgetting to add your claim no. at the top of your defence), print off two copies and sign the one you are sending to the court. Attach a copy of your CCCS income and expenditure sheet to this and get it to the court.

It is also considered good etiquette to send a copy of your defence to the claimant but that's up to you whether you do or not.

I would advise getting to the court at least 30 mins before the hearing, making sure you have a copy of your defence, a copy of your CCCS I&E with you and a notebook to make any notes of points raised you wish to query. ( I would suggest .taking 3 copies of each just in case the judge can't find his\her copy).

Present yourself to the Court Usher who will note that you are attending.

Before the hearing begins, the claimants solicitor will probably approach you and introduce themselves. They may offer guidelines of the procedure and etiquette of the court and how the hearing will proceed. They may also advise of the possible consequences of the final decision the judge may make.

Their solicitor are sure to ask if you will be defending the determination and ask what you will say. It is up to you to how you reply to them. You are not obliged to tell them anything ( that's why it's a hearing so you can put your points across ). They certainly won't tell you exactly what they are are going to say.

You will be called for the hearing by the usher stating " Northern Rock v Von Greenbach" and be led to the court room. The room itself will have two tables in a T shape and is not like most peoples image of a courtroom shown on television.

The judge will be seated at the head of the table with yourself and the claimant to be seated on opposite sides on the lower leg of the table.

As you are taking your seat introduce yourself to the judge (addressing a gentleman as Sir and a lady as Ma'am) i.e. Good Afternoon Ma'am, I'm Von Greenbach the defendant.

The hearing is informal and tends to be a discussion of the facts and observations of the submissions made to the court ( the judge has a copy of your defence remember ).

As you are a Litigant In Person, the judge may try to explain any legal terms to you and also ask you for your points you wish to make.

Speak clearly and unemotionally to make sure you emphasise the points of your defence to the judge to make sure that they have been read.

Also question the claimants solicitor on any point you don't agree with.

The judge will then state the decision that they have made to both parties and ensure any points of the decision are clarified and understood.

Hopefully, you will come away with a reasonable determination amount set by the judge.

Hope this helps. I've probably forgotten a few things but will look at it again later

If anyone can add to this, please feel free to do so.

Edited by supasnooper
Deleted incorrect info.

• Replies 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Supa

I am presuming that you have not received an interim Charging Order yet ?

No, only a CCJ has been awarded.

Firstly, contact CCCS and do a review of your Income and Expenditure of your DMP. Make sure you build in a cost of living increase on your expenditure as most things will increase in price over the next few months (Food, utility bills, etc.). Ask them to send you a copy of the new I & E.

OK, we completed an annual I&E last month.

Next, get a defence together to post to the court. This needs to arrive at least 7 days before the hearing and MUST go by Recorded Delivery at least, or if you can get to the court then take it in person.

Will do.

Your defence will list the points you may wish to make :-

Thanks for this

I don't know, should I ring the court and ask?

3/ I am currently in a Debt Management Plan with Consumer Credit Counselling Service who have structured pro rata offers to all my creditors.

This arrangement has been accepted and has been in place for over ** months with all creditors having frozen the interest.

Even ******* Bank (Complete if you have a debt larger than that of Northern Rock) whose debt is in excess of the CCJ debt have maintained a dignified approach to my Debt Management Plan.

My OH also has a personal load with NR, managed though our DMP, NR wrote sometime ago stating they've accepted the DMP arrangment on there loan.

4/ You should point out any particular hardship which your family would suffer if a charging order was to be requested by Northern Rock and possibly lead to the sale of the home. This is particularly important if the debt is in your name but you own your home jointly so it is not even your partner's debt.

I wanted to explain to the judge the psychological / psychiatric issues I've suffered over the years, and how this issue is having a major impact with my medical condition, as 5 minutes have been allocated for the hearing, I don't think I'll have time.

5/ You may also wish to apply for a "Time Order" as suggested by rory32 earlier in the thread.

I'm going to have try and digest the information about time orders, I asked CCCS about this, only to be informed it's something they're not clear on.

When you have completed composing your defence ( not forgetting to add your claim no. at the top of your defence), print off two copies and sign the one you are sending to the court. Attach a copy of your CCCS income and expenditure sheet to this and get it to the court.

Will do.

It is also considered good etiquette to send a copy of your defence to the claimant but that's up to you whether you do or not.

I'm pretty angry and the way they've dealt with this, considering my own going medical issues, by choice, I'd rather not assist / offer any further information.

I would advise getting to the court at least 30 mins before the hearing, making sure you have a copy of your defence, a copy of your CCCS I&E with you and a notebook to make any notes of points raised you wish to query. ( I would suggest .taking 3 copies of each just in case the judge can't find his\her copy).

Present yourself to the Court Usher who will note that you are attending.

Before the hearing begins, the claimants solicitor will probably approach you and introduce themselves. They may offer guidelines of the procedure and etiquette of the court and how the hearing will proceed. They may also advise of the possible consequences of the final decision the judge may make

OK

Their solicitor are sure to ask if you will be defending the determination and ask what you will say. It is up to you to how you reply to them. You are not obliged to tell them anything ( that's why it's a hearing so you can put your points across ). They certainly won't tell you exactly what they are are going to say

Should I sy nothing to them then?

You will be called for the hearing by the usher stating " Northern Rock v Von Greenbach" and be led to the court room. The room itself will have two tables in a T shape and is not like most peoples image of a courtroom shown on television.

The judge will be seated at the head of the table with yourself and the claimant to be seated on opposite sides on the lower leg of the table.

As you are taking your seat introduce yourself to the judge (addressing a gentleman as Sir and a lady as Ma'am) i.e. Good Afternoon Ma'am, I'm Von Greenbach the defendant.

The hearing is informal and tends to be a discussion of the facts and observations of the submissions made to the court ( the judge has a copy of your defence remember ).

As you are a Litigant In Person, the judge may try to explain any legal terms to you and also ask you for your points you wish to make.

I have difficulty digesting information, I also suffer with panic attacks, this part of the process is worrying me, incase I don't put up a good enough defence.

Speak clearly and unemotionally to make sure you emphasise the points of your defence to the judge to make sure that they have been read.

Also question the claimants solicitor on any point you don't agree with.

The judge will then state the decision that they have made to both parties and ensure any points of the decision are clarified and understood.

Hopefully, you will come away with a reasonable determination amount set by the judge.

OK, thanks, NR are bloody $$$$$$$$$$

Hope this helps. I've probably forgotten a few things but will look at it again later

Thanks so much for your time, and explanation, may I ask one question, in that link within post 11 by rory, it says something like if you're being taken to court contact us, is it worth me contacting them, I'm worried about contacting them in case they're ambulance chasers, and I come unstuck.

Quote:

Originally Posted by supasnooper viewpost.gif

I don't know, should I ring the court and ask?

No don't ring the court. this is one of the questions you'll be asking their solicitor.

Quote:

My OH also has a personal load with NR, managed though our DMP, NR wrote sometime ago stating they've accepted the DMP arrangment on there loan.

Well worth mentioning about N R accepting the DMP.

Quote:

I wanted to explain to the judge the psychological / psychiatric issues I've suffered over the years, and how this issue is having a major impact with my medical condition, as 5 minutes have been allocated for the hearing, I don't think I'll have time.

You take ALL the time you need. This is YOUR hearing and you have your defence to speak about.

The judge will be very interested in what YOU have to say as it is the judge that has to make a legally binding decision and he\she won't want to have it on their conscience that they got it wrong.

The time allocated for the case is only approximate anyway.

Quote:

I'm going to have try and digest the information about time orders, I asked CCCS about this, only to be informed it's something they're not clear on.

A "Time Order" is when the monthly amount and payment date is set by the courts after looking at the debtors I & E together with their personal circumstances and cannot be changed by the creditor. However, failure to maintain these payments may result in the creditor returning to court for a Charging Order.

Quote:

I'm pretty angry and the way they've dealt with this, considering my own going medical issues, by choice, I'd rather not assist / offer any further information.

It's your choice.

Quote:

Their solicitor are sure to ask if you will be defending the determination and ask what you will say. It is up to you to how you reply to them. You are not obliged to tell them anything ( that's why it's a hearing so you can put your points across ). They certainly won't tell you exactly what they are are going to say

Should I sy nothing to them then?

Again, it's your choice. Personally, I wouldn't but others may disagree

Quote:

I have difficulty digesting information, I also suffer with panic attacks, this part of the process is worrying me, incase I don't put up a good enough defence.

As I've stated earlier, the judge has to make a decisions based on facts. Just take your time, deep breath, read your defence notes and be composed before you speak.

Remember, the judge will have these facts of your defence in front of him\her and may ask you questions about your defence just for clarity and understanding.

Quote:

Thanks so much for your time, and explanation, may I ask one question, in that link within post 11 by rory, it says something like if you're being taken to court contact us, is it worth me contacting them, I'm worried about contacting them in case they're ambulance chasers, and I come unstuck.

By all means call them if you feel that you need to speak to someone.

I have no experience or dealings with them so I have no personal comments to offer.

They say they are impartial and the call is free.

They may even have some valid pointers for your defence that I may have missed.

OR maybe worth a call to National Debtline who offer free impartial advice as well. Their number is 0808 808 4000

Both of the services have been used by others and have been of great assistance from what I have read.

I hope my answers will be of fortitude and strength to you.

Edited by supasnooper
amendment

I hope my answers will be of fortitude and strength to you.

Yes, they have, I'm sure I'll have more questions, but for the next couple of weeks, I'm just going to concentrate on some kind of defence.

Many thanks to you.

Edit: One further question, is it worth me asking CCCS for some support / defence, or am I better of handling this myself?

I'm just looking at some of the questions before starting to complete a defence.

When do I ask if my other creditors have been informed of this hearing, do I ask within the defence I'm submitting? Also, will it do more harm than good asking the question? I don't want other creditors jumping on the band wagon by taking further action i.e applying for a CO.

Should I include in my defence about psychological / psychiatric issues, or should I wait until the day to mention it?

Re Time Order, is it worth me applying for? If granted, do my payments come direct from my DMP (CCCS pay them) or is it attached to my salary, I don't want my employer knowing about my personal difficulties.

My questions have gone unanswered in this thread, maybe the title is not correct http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/166907-what-happens-next-3.html#post1843155

I've created a new title / thread, hoping someone can answer the following questions,

a) When do I ask if my other creditors have been informed of this hearing, do I ask within the defence I'm submitting? Also, will it do more harm than good asking the question? I don't want other creditors jumping on the band wagon by taking further action i.e applying for a CO.

b) Should I include in my defence about psychological / psychiatric issues, or should I wait until the day to mention it?

c) Re Time Order, is it worth me applying for? If granted, do my payments come direct from my DMP (CCCS pay them) or is it attached to my salary, I don't want my employer knowing about my personal difficulties.

d) When completing my defence, do I have to do it on official court papers, or can I do it plain paper?

e) I requested my CCA for this loan earlier in the week, is it worth me doing a S.A.R and if so, what would be the purpose of it, this loan is arounf 18 / 24 months old, so I have a feeling it may well be enforceable.

Sorry to ask so many questions, but this is really stressing me out.

Hi V G,

Sorry not to have answered this earlier.

"One further question, is it worth me asking CCCS for some support / defence, or am I better of handling this myself?"

Get CCCS to do an up to date review of your Income and Expenditure and request them to send you a copy, together with a copy of your latest CCCS payments statement to creditors.

Ask if they have any advice whilst your talking to them.

"When do I ask if my other creditors have been informed of this hearing, do I ask within the defence I'm submitting? Also, will it do more harm than good asking the question? I don't want other creditors jumping on the band wagon by taking further action i.e applying for a CO."

Yes ask it in the defence - the judge will want to know the answer to this as well.

"Should I include in my defence about psychological / psychiatric issues, or should I wait until the day to mention it?"

I would mention it at the end of the defence so the judge is aware that the appeal may take longer than the alloted 5 minutes.

"Re Time Order, is it worth me applying for? If granted, do my payments come direct from my DMP (CCCS pay them) or is it attached to my salary, I don't want my employer knowing about my personal difficulties."

A Time order may be worth asking for if you feel that the appeal is not going your way. If you do ask for and get granted a Time Order, your employer will NOT find out about it. The payments of a "Time Order" will be made by the judge and stipulate a date it must be paid, also the claimants bank details must be asked for.

I would NOT advise letting CCCS make the payment; because if their payment does not reach the claimant in time, the claimant will be within their rights to go back to the courts. It would be better to set up a standing order from your bank account for payment on a date 7 days earlier than stipulated by the court.

Your employer will only find out if an "Attachment of Earnings" is made by the court.

"When completing my defence, do I have to do it on official court papers, or can I do it plain paper?"

You can do it on plain paper -

Von Greenbach

1 Letsgo Road

Anytown

Anyshire

A1 2BC

XX November 2008

Claim No. 8XO******

Northern Rock v Von Greenbach

Appeal against Final Charging Order

Dear Sir \ Madam,

I wish to make the following points in defnce against the Final Charging Order.

List your points :-

1/

2/

etc.

Enclose copy of CCCS I&E and latest CCCS statement of payments to creditors

Yours Faithfully

Von Greenbach

Sign your defence and get it to the court at least 7 days before your hearing.

Go in person if it's close by or send using Special Delivery.

I know this costs £4.60 but it MUST get there !!

Hope this helps.

Edited by supasnooper
added info
  • Haha 1

Hi i see your not getting answers, i cant help with this as i dont feel confident in this area, suggest you click the red triangle in your original thread to alert a mod, who im sure will get you some help.

Regards

• Haha 1

Please note i have no legal training any advice i give comes from my own experience and from what i have learned on this site

Hi i see your not getting answers, i cant help with this as i dont feel confident in this area, suggest you click the red triangle in your original thread to alert a mod, who im sure will get you some help.

Regards

Hi CCM

Thanks for your reply, it was concerning me why I was not receiving any replies, would it be OK for me to use the red triangle, I just took it for granted the mods / some members with experience would have viewed the thread.

I don't want to waste peoples time.

Make sure you add a statement of truth at the end before signing too.

• Haha 1

Have a happy and prosperous 2013 by avoiiding Payday loans. If you are sent a private message directing you for advice or support with your issues to another website,this is your choice.Before you decide,consider the users here who have already offered help and support.

Advice offered by Martin3030 is not supported by any legal training or qualification.Members are advised to use the services of fully insured legal professionals when needed.

Hi VG,

Finish at the bottom of your letter :-

Statement of Truth

I, XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX, believe the above statement to be true and factual.

Signed .....................

Date XXth November 2008

Amend the date.

Please do sign the letter, as any correspondence to the court must be endorsed....................but NEVER to a DCA or Solicitor.

Hi, I just wanted to add my 2p's worth. I hope it helps. I always try to be very realistic with the advice I offer so as not to set unrealistic expectiations. In many many ways my circumstances with my first case with Egg were very similar, right down to the involvement of CCCS and my illness, which is/was similar to yours.

To clarify you cannot defend an application for a final Charging Order. The CO is simply a form of enforcement on the CCJ. You can only make a representation to the court asking them not to grant it. You have mentioned some of the reasons earlier in the post. In my experience and from tales on here it is quite unusual for a DJ to not grant a final CO. If they do agree that it may predujice your other creditors then the judge may adjourn to allow the claimant to serve notice on all your other creditors that they are requesting a CO and they will be first in line. When they have done this it will come back to court and the CO made final (assuming no body objects - unlikely IMHO) therefore simply delaying the inevitable granting of the Charging Order.

Another consideration is that if you are succesful in getting the application for a final CO discharged there is nothing to stop the claimant then attempting to enforce the CCJ through other means, such as the baliffs or an attachment of earnings. In those circumstances you might consider a Charging Order to be the lesser of those other evils!

It is also worth mentioning that i think it is very shabby of NR to do all of this when you are on a DMP for 12+ months and all other creditors are happy. I would consider a complaint to NR and your MP, especially in light of the pressure being put upon other 'nationalised' banks. I am assuming you didn't miss any payments to NR/CCCS whilst on your plan than may have given them reason to do this?

Anyway back to the details of your situation. It sounds to me as if the CCCS initially entered an admission on your behalf to pay whatever you were paying on the DMP and the judgment was granted in favour of the claimant for this amount. They then decided this was not acceptable to them and applied for a redetermination hearing, clearly with a charging order in mind. You should have been notified of this and had the opportunity to attend to argue your point. It is worrying that you didn't.

Taking the above into consideration your other option is to apply to have judgment set aside and to hear the set aside application and the final CO hearing at the same time. There are a number of things to consider if you do this.

Firstly, you must have a defence as after a judgment is set aside you still have to have the case heard again, but this time with you defending yourself. If you don't have a winnable defence to enter then there is little point in making the application as all that will happen is a bucket load of costs (you will end in the Fast Track due to the size of the debt) and ultimately the same outcome. This is exactly what happened to me and I got judgment set aside after CCCS told me to admit the claim and offer £1 per week. They assured me it would be fine. It wasn't, but I was fortunate that their agreement was dodgy. I stated my health problems and the poor advice from CCCS as the reason for my application to set aside. So it is possible even when a claim has previously been admitted, albeit with mitigating circumstances.

You have made an application to NR for a copy of your CCA. Your loan is quite recent and there is every chance that they will have a copy of the agreement. Did you receive a default notice before they took action as that may be the basis for a defence?

You need to decide what is the best outcome for you and your health in these circumstances. That includes objecting to the Chargin Order in the first place. In the total absence of a defence and with a forthwith judgmeent for £20k against you, you need to be realistic about what is the best scenario in all of this for you. As I said above, even if you persuade the DJ not to grant the final CO then then NR can come after you with any other enforcement action.

One last thought, depending on what you decide taking all the advice and help in this thread into consideration, you could try asking the judge to make the charging order final but that no order for sale application or further enforcement action can be made whilst you stick to your DMP, on the grounds that you are vunderable due to your health. That way, unless you move you are no worse off and they are off your back.

I hope this helps and has not confused you. Your circumstances are so similar to mine I just had to jump in.

If you have any questions, please just ask. I will do all I can to assist.

All the best and good luck, FF:-)

• Haha 1

Another consideration is that if you are succesful in getting the application for a final CO discharged there is nothing to stop the claimant then attempting to enforce the CCJ through other means, such as the baliffs or an attachment of earnings. In those circumstances you might consider a Charging Order to be the lesser of those other evils!

In the event of a CO NOT being granted, what are the chances of NR or any creditor going down that road?

It is also worth mentioning that i think it is very shabby of NR to do all of this when you are on a DMP for 12+ months and all other creditors are happy. I would consider a complaint to NR and your MP, especially in light of the pressure being put upon other 'nationalised' banks

That's a good idea, would it be best to complain to NR complaints dept or direct to Eversheds, would it be wise for me to mention my medical history, I'm not keen on every Tom Dick and Harry being aware, some details are very personal, but relevant to the action a CO could have on me.

I am assuming you didn't miss any payments to NR/CCCS whilst on your plan than may have given them reason to do this?

We missed one payment due to an unexpected bill, a token payment of £1.00 was made for the month in question, this was with the consent of CCCS.

Anyway back to the details of your situation. It sounds to me as if the CCCS initially entered an admission on your behalf to pay whatever you were paying on the DMP and the judgment was granted in favour of the claimant for this amount.

Yes they did, CCCS informed me at the time that NR would now be considered as a priority debt.

They then decided this was not acceptable to them and applied for a redetermination hearing, clearly with a charging order in mind. You should have been notified of this and had the opportunity to attend to argue your point. It is worrying that you didn't

Some papers came from a court, I forwarded them onto CCCS for completion, the next I heard [from a 3rd party debt agency offering assistance] a CCJ was granted, I don't recall being called to defend myself, I called the court and was told, it was just a formality for the creditor to either accept / reject the offer, the court never became involved at this stage, I don't recall being called to defend myself, only by requesting a hearing has the court now become involved [this is what the court have told me]

Taking the above into consideration your other option is to apply to have judgment set aside and to hear the set aside application and the final CO hearing at the same time.
[ The court have told me this is what will happen at my hearing]

Firstly, you must have a defence as after a judgment is set aside you still have to have the case heard again, but this time with you defending yourself. If you don't have a winnable defence to enter then there is little point in making the application as all that will happen is a bucket load of costs (you will end in the Fast Track due to the size of the debt) and ultimately the same outcome.

I'm having difficulty understanding the above, OK, applying for judgement set aside and listening to my defense at the same time, will I have to attend the court again?

I stated my health problems and the poor advice from CCCS as the reason for my application to set aside. So it is possible even when a claim has previously been admitted, albeit with mitigating circumstances.

This is what's concerning me, the poor advice from CCCS.

You have made an application to NR for a copy of your CCA. Your loan is quite recent and there is every chance that they will have a copy of the agreement

I totally agree, my loan is very recent i.e with a couple of years.

Did you receive a default notice before they took action as that may be the basis for a defence?

I don't recall being issued with one, but cannot swear to it.

You need to decide what is the best outcome for you and your health in these circumstances.

I need to fight this, I've had so many personal issues in my life, I cannot let this just ride over me.

As I said above, even if you persuade the DJ not to grant the final CO then then NR can come after you with any other enforcement action.

That terrifies me.

One last thought, depending on what you decide taking all the advice and help in this thread into consideration, you could try asking the judge to make the charging order final but that no order for sale application or further enforcement action can be made whilst you stick to your DMP, on the grounds that you are vunderable due to your health. That way, unless you move you are no worse off and they are off your back.

That's a good idea, would I ask that on the day, or within my defense?

I hope this helps and has not confused you. Your circumstances are so similar to mine I just had to jump in.

You've been a great help, the phrase "Charging Order" is just 2 words, unless one is experiencing it, no one realises the impact 2 words can have.

I thank you all for your time and words of support.

Edited by Von Greenbach

In the event of a CO NOT being granted, what are the chances of NR or any creditor going down that road?

Look at it this way. Are they just going to walk away and leave the debt uncollected if they have a forthwith order for £20k. Unlikely, although theie options are limited.

That's a good idea, would it be best to complain to NR complaints dept or direct to Eversheds, would it be wise for me to mention my medical history, I'm not keen on every Tom Dick and Harry being aware, some details are very personal, but relevant to the action a CO could have on me.

I would complain to NR. Eversheds just do what they are told tbh. You don't have to do into detail at all just mention the severity of the illness and the effect this is having on you.

This is what's concerning me, the poor advice from CCCS.

In their defence they are inundated and when it comes to legal action can only really give out generic advice. They are certainly not geared up to defending claims etc. I believe that deperate people do tend to believe whatever the CCCS tell them and then find themselves in all sorts of trouble when it doesn't work out as anticipated.

That terrifies me.

Didn't mean to do that, you just need to be realistic about what might happen if the CO is not granted.

That's a good idea, would I ask that on the day, or within my defense?

I would prepare a document as you are stating the reasons that you don't believe that the granting of a final CO is correct and stating that if the court does not agree that they make an order preventing an order for sale or further enforcement action whilst you stick to the DMP that NR had been accepting (along with all your other creditors) for 12 months.

Any more questions just shout! FF

I’m going to base my appeal on the following, and would be grateful for some advice / guidence

A) The fact we’ve been on a manageable DMP for over 12 months, all other creditors have accepted.

B) To my knowledge no other creditors being informed of the action being taken by NR and granting a CO will show favouritism over the others.

C) Northern Rock being in breach of OFT guidelines, which clearly state

Deceptive and / Or Unfair Methods.

2.8 Examples of unfair practices as follows:

C: Refusing to deal with appointed or authorised appointed third parties, such as, Citizens Advice Bureau, Independent Advice Centre’s, or Money Advisor's.

D: Contacting debtors directly and bypassing their appointed representatives.

[This relates to OFT above] Although I informed NR about my health issues, they have continued to by pass my appointed representative CCCS and contact me directly.

D) The effect a CO / sales order could have on my health.

Is there anything I should add / remove from the list?