• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

me v helifax*won*

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 6189 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 220
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi again,

just a quick update, I sent my LBA in on the 10/08/06 for £5,919.29 after they'd added yet more charges! plus the daily rate of £2.89 so i guess i've got to wait untill the 24/08/06. i'm hoping that they try to settle before then and try to get me to accept interest at the 8% s69 as i've read somewhere on here that some bank did with another member, i'm not sure that i'd accept this but it would be a nice position to be in LOL

OK I GIVE IN

Halifax £3600 charges, won with C/I £6400

NatWest S.A.R-05/06/06

Bug**r all recieved 03/11/06

Prelim guesimate sent for £3000 03/11/06

Cr*p one CONNED statements 08/06 ROFLMAO

Cr*p one charges=£976

con int 34.9% £1,003.75 £1,979.75.

Well, i have received my second letter which is the usual reply about them incurring costs and passing them on to the accounts affected rather than PENALISING others ( their words not mine! ). They have offered me £250 as a gesture of goodwill, YEAH RIGHT:mad:. On to the next step now. By the way there was no mention of the contractual interest rate again;)

OK I GIVE IN

NatWest S.A.R-05/06/06

Cr*p one charges=£976

Watching this with interest, I'm currently deciding whether to go for the contractual interest or not, I've only got a day or two to decide before I send my LBA to Lloyds, but I'll be reading up on this as much as I can.

Good Luck!

Mindzai & Lucid vs Lloyds TSB

Mindzai's Account - Partial settlement offer rejected

Joint Account - Partial settlement offer rejected

Spreadsheet for compound contractual interest and statutory (s69) interest:

Download v1.9 [Tested with Excel 97-2007 and OpenOffice 2]

PLEASE NOTE: You should fully research contractual interest before you use that functionality of this spreadsheet. If in any doubt please use it to calculate 8% interest under s69 County Courts Act 1984.

• 2 weeks later...

Any update to this at all?

My advise if free and is worth exactly as much as you paid for it….

HSBC 28 Oct 2006 Personal accounts ~ Offered and accepted ~ £3514 :)

HSBC 15 Sep 2006 Business ~ Offered and accepted ~ £4980 :)

MBNA 7 Sep Offered and accepted £2290 - (my amount £1170 plus Compound Interest) using the "phone call method" :o

FREEWAY 28th Oct ~ offered and acepted £506 :)

TSB VISA MCOL £300 - court date 27th March 2007

By now it should be a week since i started court action, but the benefits agency have decided that i'm earning to much and have stopped my benefits (leaving me and my B/F to survive of about £100 per week with a £600 mortgage and £150 council tax bill per month) so i have had to put my claim on hold until i can scrape together £250 for the court costs. Sorry to everyone who's watching this thread but it may take a while before i can start my court action, i'm doing a car boot on sunday to try and get the money together but it's a long shot, so fingers crossed i'll not be delayed too long!!

OK I GIVE IN

NatWest S.A.R-05/06/06

Cr*p one charges=£976

• 1 month later...

just a quick update, sorry it's been so long but i've nothing new to add, i'm still skint so can't take them to court yet ( gutted) but at least the interest keeps adding up hopefully i'll be able to carry on with claim next month

OK I GIVE IN

NatWest S.A.R-05/06/06

Cr*p one charges=£976

yes i'm already claiming C/I its should be gaining nicely LOL, my b/f just won with C/I against the RBoS not much but it proves that it can be done ;)

OK I GIVE IN

NatWest S.A.R-05/06/06

Cr*p one charges=£976

im going for contractual rate and am alittle further advandced. You may want to take a peek at whats in store.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank/11164-cank-halifax-2.html

Halifax - £2500

Legal & Trade - Webt to courtfor Breach CCA, Complained to OFT they ruled in my favour, So did court, 2k written off.

NatWest - Contactual Interest - Won:p

• 3 weeks later...

hi everyone

well more problem with this wunch of bankers so any advice would be welcome:)

early in oct i recieved a letter of the halifax saying that i've not to use my account/card, and to repay my overdraft or they'll default me. so i this back

I am writing in response to your letter dated 04/10/06 ref ***** telling me not to use my account ****** sort code ****** and to also repay the amount of £140.91.As you should be aware this account/amount is in dispute so i will not be repaying the amount you claim i owe because this amount is made up solely of unlawful penalty charges which i am in the proccess of claiming back through the county courts.As you should be aware you can take none of the actions that you threaten to take in your letter such as issueing a default notice on my credit record or passing my details to a third party company for collections or any of the other threats in your letter.To cover all the points in your letter I have not changed address, there is no need to start court proceedings as i'm saving up the money to take you to court over this amount and more, instructing your solicitors to write to me concerning this alleged arrears as it's made up only of unlawful penalties,do not contact me by telephone i will only correspond through letters, do not visit my home as this dispute will be settled through the courts.

If you do proceed with charging me for any of these i will add this to my already large claim and charge you your own published unauthorised borrowing rate.

I state again that THIS ACCOUNT/AMOUNT IS IN DISPUTE and will be settled in court unless your company wishes to settle it out of court, i have already attempted to do this twice but no serious offer/attempt has been made that satisfies my claim, but i am more than willing to give yor company another chance to repay the money that has been unlawfully taken from my account without the need for court action.

Yours Faithfully

i thought that this should be enough, then i recieved another letter stating intent to default so i wrote this back

I am writing in response to your letter dated 14/10/06 ref- **** regarding account No ******* sort code ******

In your letter you state that despite several attempts to resolve the very serious arrears on your bank account blah blah.

I will once again answer these issues as a gesture of goodwill-THIS ACCOUNT/AMOUNT IS IN DISPUTE!

If you do not understand what this means please consult your legal department to avoid further confusion on your part.

You say that my card has been canceled,would you please reinstate my card straight away.

If you issue a default notice on my credit record you will be knowingly entering false information and therefore possible libellous information.

As stated in previous correspondence the amount you claim i owe is made up solely of unlawful bank charges, so i will not be paying any money into the account until this dispute is settled either through negoitation or though the county courts ( as soon as i can afford the court fees ).

I state again that THIS ACCOUNT/AMOUNT IS IN DISPUTE and will be settled in court unless your company wishes to settle it out of court, i have already attempted to do this twice but no serious offer/attempt has been made by your company that satisfies my claim, but i am more than willing to give your company another chance to repay the money that has been unlawfully taken from my account without the need for court action.

As a futher gesture of goodwill i will enclose a copy of the letter i sent to yourself concerning your letter dated 04/10/06 which i am certain that you recieved as i always take any letters i send to your company into my local branch with a copy which i get date stamped and signed by a member of staff to be sent through your own internal mail system, as i will be doing with this letter

Yours Faithfully

now today as i'm prepairing to start court action as i've finally got the cash together i recieved a default notice served under section 87.1 of the consumer credit act 1974.

the terms and conditions of the account state - unless we agree that you can do so, you must not use your account or allow anyone else to use it if this would make your account go overdrawn or over your overdraft limit.

you are in breach of that condition because, without our agreement, you have used your account or allowed someone else to use it so as to make your account go overdrawn.

well i haven't used my account and it wasn't overdrawn when i last used it, it's there own bank charges that have made me overdrawn, so how have i breached that condition?

also if they do default me is this libel or defamation of Character and can i add damages to my claim?

OK I GIVE IN

NatWest S.A.R-05/06/06

Cr*p one charges=£976

well after having a good read around i've decided not to bother about the default yet as it seems that if i did it would delay my refund, so i'll wait and see what happens with a few other threads on the same subject

OK I GIVE IN

NatWest S.A.R-05/06/06

Cr*p one charges=£976

ok another silly question, i'm filling in the n1 form but not sure what i put in brief details of claim, any ideas?

OK I GIVE IN

NatWest S.A.R-05/06/06

Cr*p one charges=£976

ok i'm thinking of issuing a S.10 Data Protection Act notice but it warns You are advised to discuss it thoroughly on the forum first. why is there something i should know about?;)

OK I GIVE IN

NatWest S.A.R-05/06/06

Cr*p one charges=£976

bump

OK I GIVE IN

NatWest S.A.R-05/06/06

Cr*p one charges=£976

ok n1 filled in, of to court tommorrow, total value of claim is £6,555.66.

with any luck i'll win before christmas

OK I GIVE IN

NatWest S.A.R-05/06/06

Cr*p one charges=£976

hi all

filed at court today[ not as much fun as i'd hoped]. just a quick question, does anyone know of any claims against halifax where there going for the contracual interest [as large as mine] and if so could you point me towards them pleeeaaaaaase

OK I GIVE IN

NatWest S.A.R-05/06/06

Cr*p one charges=£976

• 3 weeks later...

Mines a smaller claim, but it should give you a good idea of how they respond to the contractual interest part of your claim. Seems so far like they're playing hardball. http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/halifax-bank/42023-garyh-halifax-visa-theyre.html

Please remember to DONATE! Help CAG keep up the fight!

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

OK offer recieved yestreday from Halifax:D .

First some background, heres what i was claiming on the N1 the charges totaled £3,693.00;

The Claimant claims interest at the contractual rate of 29.8% per annum, from the date of each transaction to 6th November 2006, which is £2,602.66 as set out in the attached list of charges. The Claimant further claims interest, on the resulting total of £6,296.66 at the same rate up to the date of judgement or earlier payment, at a daily rate of £5.14 per day. The Claimant believes this rate to be justified under the principle of mutuality and reciprocity, and is based on the Defendants interest rate that would be applied under the terms of the above mentioned account.

Heres the offer;

It starts with the usual bull, on a purely commercial basis bla bla it would cost to much bla bla, then the interesting bit; For this reason, but without admission of liability, Halifax is willing to reimburse £3662.00 in respect of the bank charges incurred [ should be £ 3,693.00], together with £712.48 in respect of approximate interest that Halifax has calculated was charged on your account as a result of charges [this was nice of them as we'd not bothered to work this out or claim it:cool: ]. The Halifax will also reimburse £250 in respect of the court fee.

The Halifax does not consider that you are entitled to the further £1931.18 that you are claiming. Unless you can provide evidence of this further loss the halifax will file a defence in respect of this part of your claim.[this is whats causing us the dillema. can they withdraw this offer]

please confirm within 7 days.

my questions are,

1. does this mean that they will let us have this money even if we continue with the rest of the claim for the contractual interest. just found out NO

2.if not could we ring them and ask them to add the s69 8% and the daily interest and not forgeting the £5 S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) fee. TURNS OUT THE £712.48 IS THE S69 although it doesn't say anything like that

I'd prefere to go with No1 but I REALLY need this money now so No2 might be the best bet, HELP PLEASE.

I've won i think ?????????????:?

OK I GIVE IN

NatWest S.A.R-05/06/06

Cr*p one charges=£976

Same letter I got and I told them to sod off. I'm holding out for the lot. I've just linked my thread above, that will probably answer your questions. Feel free to use my response letter if you like. Personally, I don't think its a good idea to accept what they've offered and then pursue the rest. Either take it and run or refuse and tell them full amount of the claim or see you in court.

Obviously its your claim and completely your decision - you should'nt feel under any pressure. But, what was the point in claiming contractual interest if you're just going to accept what they calculate is the 8% stat rate?

And who cares that "the halifax does'nt consider the principle of mutuality and reciprociy applies"? There opinion is irrelevant - only the judge can decide whether the principle applies or not and its not for them to comment - either pay the full amount of the claim or defend it! Thats what I said anyway.

Persistance is the key - you did'nt think they were just going to give it to you did you? I refused THREE (yes, 3!) offers from HSBC before they finally paid up the lot.

Any advice or opinion is offered informally & without liability. Use your own judgment and if in doubt seek advice of a qualified and insured professional.

I'd love to hold out and tell them to stick it, but i really need the cash. I'm confused as to the wording as it seems to say that they'll only defend the part of the claim thats the contractual interest so i'm wondering if that means that they'll pay the charges back now anyway, no matter what i decide to do about the rate of interest, if you see what i mean, or am i confusing you as much as i'm cofusing myself.LOL

OK I GIVE IN

NatWest S.A.R-05/06/06

Cr*p one charges=£976

Hi c allen, i had the same letter on friday. I am claiming the contractual rate too, it's a lot less than yours. I'm not sure what to do either.

Purple X:)

26/09 Prelim contractual Interest

11/10 LBA

30/10 Filed N1

03/11 Deemed served

23/11 Offer Made

Lloyds TSB

Purple v Lloyds TSB

08/09 ordered statements.

23/09 Statements Received.

26/09 Prelim

03/10 Received standard response

11/10 LBA

30/10 Filed N1

03/11 Deemed served

08/11 Acknowledgement

24/11 AQ Received

Well I can't really add anything to what I have already, but to anyone else reading this thread thinking about claiming contractual interest, I would say unless you plan to see it through - don't.