style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5678 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, im new to this so plz bear with me :-x

Okay i have an ex partner who ran of to australia leaving me with around £12,000 in (joint) debts. One bank loan for around £9000 and an overdraft at £2000, i jst realised yesterday an account that was sitting at 2p is now overdrawn as he's booked a hotel on it and i've now got bank charges, nice guy huh.

These are all in the hands of debt collectors now who wont stop calling my house (i stay with my parents) they are getting sick of them hassling me.

I dont know what to do, i have last month been made redundant and im struggling to cope with all this, i have been advised not to go down the bankruptcy root or the trust deed as it ruins your credit rating for years.

Any suggestions.

I've also had around £2000 in bank charges over the past 6 years, just want to find a way out of this mess :x

Thanks

Ok, do you know where your ex has gone?

As the debt is joint he is responsible for the debt too. If you have an address give this to the creditors.

Do not ignore the problem, i know too well how easy it is to do this.

I would suggest you call an organisation such as Payplan (i have a debt management plan with them, and they are great), 08009177823.

Tell them everything, they will help you with the best cause of action.

Perhaps think about requesting your original credit agreements with each creditor, forward £1 to each. They have X amount of time to respond to your request. If they don't or cannot locate your original agreement the debt in unenforceable. There is advice on here and letter templates available.

Also do some research on the forums on here, so much advice.

And remember you are not alone!

Best of luck :-)

Okay i have an ex partner who ran of to australia leaving me with around £12,000 in (joint) debts.

As the debts are joint you have what is known as joint and several liability. This means that they can chase one party for the full amount or both parties.

bank loan for around £9000

When was the loan taken out?

Perhaps think about requesting your original credit agreements with each creditor,

For an overdraft I'm afraid there isn't any great merit in this. For the loan it will depend when it was taken out.

an overdraft at £2000

Are there a lot of charges on the overdraft account?

These are all in the hands of debt collectors now who wont stop calling my house

Send them the following via recorded delivery http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/37006-harassment-telephone-response-letter.html

You are aware that you can get call barring aren't you? Also if you inform your telephone line provider that you are being harrassed they will change your number straight away FOC.

I've also had around £2000 in bank charges over the past 6 years

Is this to do with the overdraft?

i have last month been made redundant and im struggling to cope with all this, i have been advised not to go down the bankruptcy root or the trust deed as it ruins your credit rating for years.

So will any default placed on your credit file. Can I ask why you are concernede about your credit rating at the moment?

HAVE YOU BEEN TREATED UNFAIRLY BY CREDITORS OR DCA's?

BEWARE OF CLAIMS MANAGEMENT COMPANIES OFFERING TO WRITE OFF YOUR DEBTS.

Please note opinions given by rory32 are offered informally as a lay-person in good faith based on personal experience. For legal advice, you must always consult a registered and insured lawyer.

Hi Where Is The Justise,

Firstly, bless you and my thoughts are with you.

Secondly, as mentioned by Rory32 - There will be defaults on your credit file or missed payments at lease so it will already be effected. Obtain your credit report to see exactly what is there. You can do it online.

With regard to a Trust Deed, this is only available in Scotland and only lasts for 3 years. With the amount of debt you have, you could end up only paying £100-£150 per month depending on your circumstances. Although you do have to be employeed before you can go down this road.

I have been in a TD which is due to end next month. I pay £150 per month and it was worth every penny. My credit is starting to repair itself. My defaults should become satisfied by end January (hopefully).

I would suggest that while you have a small scrap of credit left, apply for a new bank account and transfer everything to your new account. If you have any savings (don't declare them), open up a 2nd account and put the savings in that. If you declare any savings, these could be used as payment towards the debt.

If you do have details of your ex, then pass them onto all your creditors, even if it is his parents address - At least they will have something to work with.

If you don't go down the TD road, take the advise from geministar2007 and call payplan, but research both avenues.

Keep up posted.

Provident - CCA Request - CCA Received, challenging report with CRA.

Experian - Removal of data request - 10/11/2008 ****** WON AGAINST EXPERIAN *****;)