• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5529 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

sent my brighthouse a xmas card wiswh you a merry xmas please feel free to call im in spain for a month

:shock::lol::lol:

Anyhow, I still need to know if the harassment letter was sent? I need to know if you have proof (i.e recorded delivery slip). If so, then it's to the police you need to go. They are breaking the law.....it's as simple as that.

Chaz2, I could really do with some information from you (see above). This is still not the be all, and end all, of the matter.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

hi clemma

have the receipt for recorded letter to them about phone calls and have copies of all letters sent. looking at these defaults, they are "Notice of default sums" and it states ..... This notice of default sums has been served under the consumer credit act 1974 because default charges have been added to your agreement. It then goes on to say the product and the amount of fee being charged for late payment. DCA, your posts are so cool, i always look forward to reading them, also thanks for the advice.

Thanks Chaz i just play them now at there own stupid games did think of having another phone line put in but not at 125quid

the fun i could have when they call phone them on the other phone and let them talk top each other

Regards DK

Please Tip My Scales if Info was Use full

It doesn't sound like a final default notice, just a letter telling you that they are putting even MORE charges onto your account. A default notice would state the words "DEFAULT NOTICE" and wording to the effect of "to remedy this you must pay xxxx by xxxx (date) to prevent further action", usually giving you 14 days to do so. If it says none of this, then it is just a letter.

As for the continuing phone calls, I have asked elsewhere on this forum and I would strongly recommend you contact your local police station to report this. Show them a copy of the letter you have sent, the proof they received the letter etc., hopefully they will contact BH on your behalf as BH are in breach of the Protection from Harassment Act 1997.

Edited by clemma

Hi Clemma

Have all the relevant paperwork and will now contact the police and folow it up with a letter. The calls are ridiculous, all i do now is hang up when they speak. One message however did make me laugh, it said "do yourself a favour and get down here now". I pity them and just find them such a poor, badly trained, moronic cretins. My partners job is regulated by the FSA and if they step out of line by giving the wrong advice or mis-leading people, they are dragged over the coals as the fines can be huge as well as the damage it does to there business. They are mystery shopped by the FSA constantly and it surprises me that regardless of the FSA making there presence heavily felt within the money industry, brighthouse still seem to be flaunting the rules. Its only because of you guys giving up your time to help people like me that prevent them getting away with it.

Your doing the right thing by hanging up on them and by going to the police. You can make a complaint to the OFT as well (there is a form to fill out on that site)

Take a quick peek at Lefty's thread http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/brighthouse/164635-you-monitoring-brighthouse.html

He did a bit of undercover work - and the first couple of posts explain his "training".....makes an interesting read.

Just to keep you all up to date. Not had a phone call now since my last post so can only presume they have taken notice of our harassment letter. We have had no more letters from them either. Just a bit on edge as to what there next steps may be

Hi all

Arrived home from work today to be greeted with an answerphone message from Bh regional manager. He has stated what we requested in our letter that we wanted to be dealt with by an area manager and has asked us to call him but he will call us on either our home number again or our mobiles. We stated in our letter that we will only deal with them in writing and that is how we want it to be dealt with; obviously this is so we have a paper trail and emotion is kept out of it. What steps should we take now.

Do as flyingdoc says. You can send another letter, if you wish. Something along the lines of:

Dear Sir/Madam

Agreement no: xxxxxx

I write again in response to the telephone calls I have been receiving. I recently sent a letter demanding that all telephone calls cease and that all communication should be in writing only (I attach a copy for your perusal).

As Brighthouse have not complied, and continue to barrage me with telephone calls, my next step is to report this to the police, citing the Protection from Harassment Act 1997. I am keeping a log of all calls (dates and times) and will take this, along with the harassment letter (received by you on [insert date]) with the recorded delivery confirmation details.

To avoid any further prosecution by myself, I request that the Area Manager contact me in writing, outlining his solution to my current situation.

Yours faithfully

Chaz2

Change and amend if your not happy with it, but these people need to be put in their place.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi all

As i stated on my last post we had not heard from BH but we came home yesterday to find a note placed through the letterbox from "Caversham Finance" requesting that we call the name on the card within 24 hours. We sent recorded letters to our local branch and head office stateing that we would only deal in writing. What they have done is completely ignored our request for all communication in writing, infact they have not even acknowledged our letters but just decidede to send someone round. If anyone can give me any help or advice on what steps to take i would be grateful.

Hi chaz. Looks like you will have to send them the same letters again unfortunately send them something like this:

Dear Sir/Madam Account

Ref xxxx

I am in recent receipt of a HAND POSTED LETTER asking I contact you on (telephone number) As previously stated, I will only communicate with you in writing.

I have also sent previous correspondence, to which I have had no reply, stating that no person/s from Brighthouse OR Caversham Finance are to attend my property without an appointment. As I still do not wish to make an appointment with you, as per OFT rules, then the following still applies:

There is only an implied license under English Common Law for people to be able to visit me on my property without express permission; the postman and people asking for directions etc (Armstrong v. Sheppard and Short Ltd [1959] 2 Q.B. per Lord Evershed M.R.). Therefore take note that I revoke license under Common Law for you, or your representatives to visit me at my property and if you do so, then you will be liable to damages for a tort of trespass and action will be taken, including but not limited to, police attendance.

If I receive no written correspondence within 14 days, I will assume this matter is closed and expect no further communication.

Yours faithfully

cc Trading Standards

Office of Fair Trading

Amend it to suit, shuffle it around if you want.

Also, report them to trading standards and the OFT [email protected] - explain the whole situation, as you have on here, and make it clear as to what letters you have sent etc.

Edited by clemma

I went past Brighthouse in Hanley (Stoke-on-cra... I mean Trent.) today Clemma.

I gave them the 1 finger salute through the window on your behalf. :D

These are video links to show how I deal with Debt Collectors.

Fly fishing for C.A.R.S

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=zPtzK8FqE6k&feature=related

Frederickson International don't accept my card type

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=eiZBULlWW6Q&feature=related

I went past Brighthouse in Hanley (Stoke-on-cra... I mean Trent.) today Clemma.

I gave them the 1 finger salute through the window on your behalf. :D

;) Cheers me dear x

cheers clemma, i feel like i can always rely on you for sound advice. ill send off the letters and keep you posted.

thankyou

Thank you, that's appreciated. As I have been on the receiving end of Brighthouse, I know how to react to them now. Good luck.

• 3 weeks later...

Just thought i would update my thread. Our last contact from them was 05th march when they put a caversham finance card through the door to ask us to call them or they would re-visit us. Seems atrange that we have had no contact from them since the christmas. Considering that we sent e-mails to ann healey, recorded letters to there head office and local branch, just seems a bit strange, maybe its the calm before the storm. is there normal practice??!!??

chaz . This seems to be a last gasp attempt to recover their goods The person who left the card doesn't come from the local shop but is answerable to head office hence CAVERSHAM FINANCE AS THE LOCAL SHOPS HAVE BEEN TOLD IN NO CIRCUMSTANCES DO THEY USE THE NAME C.F. THEY ARE UNDER THE THREAT OF DISMISSAL IF THE DID SO.However this person has absolutely no power at all to enter your home without your approval. This comany depend entirely on people not knowing their rights and throw about all sorts of threats and and untruths AS SOON AS THEY KNOW YOU KNOW YOUR RIGHTS THEY WILL BACK DOWN ESPECIALLY IF YOU HAVE TOLD THEM TO TAKE YOU TO COURT. AND REQUESTED THAT THEY NEITHER PHONE YOU OR CORRESPOND WITH YOU AFTER HAVING TOLD THEM TO TAKE YOU TO COURT. if they did they would be in breach of the consumer credit act and they are totally afraid of being found to be non compliant of this act .He might come back for a final attempt but if he does then you will know what to tell him but its possible you won't see him again padre

thankyou for the advice its very welcome and greatly appreciated. thanks to clemma, lefty and plumberjohn we now know our rights so we are not worried about someone coming to the door. our only concern is the legal stuff. Im surprised that we had nobody from the store visiting us though, but saying that we did record a particular conversation with them and advised them of it and it was a serious issue.

thankyou for the advice its very welcome and greatly appreciated. thanks to clemma, lefty and plumberjohn we now know our rights so we are not worried about someone coming to the door. our only concern is the legal stuff. Im surprised that we had nobody from the store visiting us though, but saying that we did record a particular conversation with them and advised them of it and it was a serious issue.

The change in your attitude towards Brighthouse is amazing! You know where we are now should you have any more problems. You've won the battle and are now well on your war to winning the war ;)

The change in your attitude towards Brighthouse is amazing! You know where we are now should you have any more problems. You've won the battle and are now well on your war to winning the war ;)

your right clemma, obviously they can still do what they want but we would not be where we are today without you. were not worried about them coming to the door as we know our rights, you are a godsend and i didnt realize angels flew so low. will keep you posted on anything else that happens. thankyou