Turned down for an interview due to having the wrong birth certificate!?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5673 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi

I'm asking for help on behalf of a friend.

She is a UK Citizen, born in the UK and always lived in the UK and has a standard 6"x6.5" birth certificate. She is about my age and I have the same type of birth certificate.

She applied for a job with a local authority but she was turned down and told her birth certificate was "obsolete" and insisted that she should obtain an A4 birth certificate.

This sounds crazy, has anyone come across this before?

Thank you in advance, CJ.

Settled Tribunal claim against employer regarding Disability Discrimination.

Recovered my money from an AXA Bonus Cash Builder Plus after discovering here on CAG that the original advertising was found to be misleading.

Cabot still can't provide a copy of Credit Agreement and have left me alone for about a year now.

Look at page 27 on the following link:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/employersandsponsors/preventingillegalworking/currentguidanceandcodes/comprehensiveguidancefeb08.pdf?view=Binary

The Home Office guidance merely states 'full birth certificate'.

Sounds to me like the LA could be interpreting the legislation incorrectly? Point this out to them and they may concede the birth cert you have provided is ok?

Or of course has she got any other ID in list A such as a passport? Which should negate the need for the birth cert at all.

Nice to know my taxes are being well used as usual!

• Haha 1

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]

that is as may be but the full birth certificate holds more information and it is this information that is required, they are easy to obtain and cost £7.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed

forgot to add, that you can ring or write to the register office that registered your birth and ask for a copy, or failing that you can order it online but that can take a month because it comes from a different place altogether

(ok, shall I take my family historians anorak off now :-))

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Thank you all for your replies

I have passed on your advice and suggested she joins the forum for future reference!

I think particularly that the argument about using a passport should deal with the issue and the home office guidance is much appreciated.

CJ.

Settled Tribunal claim against employer regarding Disability Discrimination.

Recovered my money from an AXA Bonus Cash Builder Plus after discovering here on CAG that the original advertising was found to be misleading.

Cabot still can't provide a copy of Credit Agreement and have left me alone for about a year now.

Well it might not do, if the job was involving some sort of security clearance them they are going to need the details as detailed on the full birth certificate, plus a few bits extra., especially if you are required to sign the official secrets act

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

When I applied for a job recently I was told they wanted to see my original full birth cetificate (which fortunately I have filed away) and that the interview would not go ahead without it.

The short form one would not do apparently, when I enquired at the job centre they said a passport alone is sufficient.

This does need to be standardised somehow, I am seeking work at the moment and I travel to interviews armed with full birth certificate, valid passport, medical card and end off year tax statement. I have been asked for all of these at interviews, whenever I am asked for something new I add it to my bundle for next time - it's ridiculous!!

Edited by zazen.warrior

Hi Guys,

Before any employer seeks to engage an employee they must validate their eligibility to work in the UK. The minimum required to satisfy the legistlation is either: -

A: A Full UK Passport

or

B: Full birth certificate (A4 one that has your parents names on)

and proof of national insurance number which can be

- NI Card

- P45

- P60

Without these, employers leave themselves open to both corperate and personal prosecution.

As a recruiter, I come across 100's of people every year who are seeking to either obtain work using a false name, or when inelligble to work in the UK, so as annoying as it is, I do have some sympathy with the jobsworth's who can actually end up in prison if they don't follow this process.

Hope this helps

I'm not a legal expert. Anything I offer is my opinion based on my personal experience, so please get professional, legal advise before taking any action.

Hi Guys,

Before any employer seeks to engage an employee they must validate their eligibility to work in the UK. The minimum required to satisfy the legistlation is either: -

A: A Full UK Passport

or

B: Full birth certificate (A4 one that has your parents names on)

and proof of national insurance number which can be

- NI Card

- P45

- P60

Without these, employers leave themselves open to both corperate and personal prosecution.

As a recruiter, I come across 100's of people every year who are seeking to either obtain work using a false name, or when inelligble to work in the UK, so as annoying as it is, I do have some sympathy with the jobsworth's who can actually end up in prison if they don't follow this process.

Hope this helps

As a recruiter do you not ever just use common sense?

And what legislation do you refer to that a UK national must provide what you point out to work in the UK?

Read the initial post again-she is a UK national.