From the 'other side'

kazbri
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5675 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I don't know if I should be posting this here, but about 18months ago I loaned a so-called 'friend' £500 to pay off rent arrears with an agreement she could pay it back as when she could afford to.A few months later I loaned her husband £300 towards a bond on a rented housebecause they had split up (I later found out they hadn't it was just a ploy to get more money out of me). They haven't offered to pay a penny back and have changed their landline and phone numbers and also returned my letters. I contacted a DCA, after several attempts they finally managed to contact them and were told that they had no intention of paying and that they didn't owe me any money anyway. The DCA have suggested it now goes to court, as I have nothing in writing, only a verbal agreement , what are my chances of success.

It has to be worth a try. The most you have to lose is the court fee and you might just get at least some of your money back. In court, it's going to be your word against theirs, but I suspect the average judge wouldn't believe that someone would take a 'friend' to court for no reason. Do you have any proof that you loaned them the money, even if it's just a withdrawal of the amount showing on your bank statement?

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.

I have a bank statement showing the amount I drew out on my debit card,but how do I prove what it was for? Would the court be able to get access to the council's rent record for this person, that would show that the arrears were paid off in one lump sum.

The council would certainly have a record, but they're absolutely not going to give it to you as they would be breaching the Data Protection Act if they did, and I doubt the court would even ask for it.

RMW

"If you want my parking space, please take my disability" Common car park sign in France.