Mr Bungle80a vs HSBC

Bungle80a
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5544 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hoi guys, new to the forum but it has been suggested by a friend that I look into claiming back my bank charges, and having browsed some of the forums I think I am ready to begin!

As I understand it, the first step is to send a Subject Access Request to HSBC to get a copy of my statements (or at least a list of charges on my account). Is this correct?

If so, is this the current address to use for sending it to HSBC:

HSBC Bank Plc

Service Quality Team

Arlington Business Centre

Millshaw Park Lane

Leeds

LS11 0PP

If not, does anyone know the correct address?

Thanks in advance for any help and advice I recieve.

Mr Men (edited)

Just browsing through my online statements to get an idea of the kind of charges i've recieved and I keep coming across 'Notified Fees/Charges'. Are thee claimable? They appear on a set date (most months).

Just browsing through my online statements to get an idea of the kind of charges i've recieved and I keep coming across 'Notified Fees/Charges'. Are thee claimable? They appear on a set date (most months).

Yes, send it Recorded Delivery with £10 P/O & dont use your signature.

I'm not up on charges yet but if they are at inflated level I would think so (+ interest at 8% I believe).

Someone will confirm for you shortly no doubt.

Hi Bungle welcome to the forum this should get you started:

S.A.R - (Subject Access Request)

http ://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/bank-templates-library/5161-data-protection-act.html

Explanation –what a SAR is

http://www.ico.gov.uk/upload/documents/library/data_protection/practical_application/subject_access_-_guide_for_data_subjects.pdf

Here is the address for your S.A.R.

HSBC Bank plc

UK Data Protection Compliance

Griffin House

2-01

41 Silver Street Head

Sheffield S1 3GG

Sounds like these are the charges you're looking for if they're around £25 - £35 a time .... or even more ..... :eek:.

Possibly the Chancellor is confusing the statutory section 69 interest (8%)which accrues to your claim once you get to the court stage - but that's not relevant at the moment .

Come back if you need more info - someone will answer - and we're a friendly lot on here:)

Edited by johnnymitch
tidying up font marks

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

If you think I've helped you please feel free to tickle my star :-D

Thanks for the help guys.

As i recall, postal orders these days have to be made payable to someone when you purchase them. Who do I need to make it payable to?

Also, whats the deal with not using your signature? Is that incase they try to use it against you or something?

ake it payabe to the bank. HSBC PLC.

One that has been sent, they have 40 days to send them out to you. Keep a note of the date. As soon as you get them, here is what you look for...

HSBC Bank

Card Misuse

Charge: Look Online For Breakdown.

Recall S/0 and D/D

Total Charges

Unpaid Item

HOW TO...DUMMIES GUIDE TO CAG...Read here

STEP BY STEP GUIDE...Read here

F&Q's... Read here

EVERYTHING YOU NEED THE A~Z GUIDE...Read here

Go to our Cag Toolbar Download page here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Possibly the Chancellor is confusing the statutory section 69 interest (8%)which accrues to your claim once you get to the court stage - but that's not relevant at the moment .

Sorry JM

I did say to double check but I thought I had read on CAG that you could claim interest on these illegal charges (prior to the court interest) as someone mentioned the 8% and another added that you could claim 8% or the relevant interest rate that you were being charged by them.

(Or am I confusing credit cards with bank accounts?)

My understanding is - not till it gets to the court stage Chancellor........:) certainly with Bank Charges .

Perhaps someone else can comment on the Credit Card angle.....

Nemo me impune lacessit

Advice & opinions given by johnnymitch are personal, are not endorsed by Consumer Action Group or Bank Action Group, and are offered informally, without prejudice & without liability. Your decisions and actions are your own, and should you be in any doubt, you are advised to seek the opinion of a qualified professional.

The 8% gets included at court for both.

F&Q's... Read here

Please don't forget this site is run on DONATIONS If this site has helped in any way, then please give a little back. ;-)

Any opinions are without prejudice & without liability. All I know has come from this site. If you are unsure, please seek professional advice. .

Thanks SSL...........:) that's what i thought but wasn't 100% sure ...

• Haha 1

Nemo me impune lacessit

My S.A.R - (Subject Access Request) is all ready to go to the post office tomorrow morning. Dont know if i'm going over the top but i plan to scan all my receipts so I have a digital copy just incase anything were to happen to the originals!:confused:

Does anyone have a good Escel Spreadsheet already set up to log communications, deadlines etc?

There you go Martyn- the simple one is best unless you're claiming lost Interest on charges ........ which is a science I've not yet mastered......lol

Bank Accounts

England - Simple - Excel

England - Simple - Works

England - Simple - OpenOffice

England - Advanced - Excel

England - Advanced - Works

Just make your entries over the ones already there and delete the ones left when you've got as far down as you need to go .........

Edited by johnnymitch

Nemo me impune lacessit

You're welcome, Martyn - personally I don't think it's worth the bother -working out only the interest lost on the unlawful charge part .......... but some have done it :)

Just ask if you need help with anything else ..........:D

Nemo me impune lacessit

• 2 weeks later...

Friendly bump from all in the SRNI operating department.

Glad you've finally taken the plunge, bungle, you wont regret it!

If you've got credit card charges, start a separate thread to claim them back, too!

(By the way, compound interest is my speciality!)

I claimed (and got) County Court interest on my credit card charges, at the contractual rate- 20%.

Oh how they (Goldfish) must have cried- a request for £595 of charges which balooned into a CCJ for over £2000!

Theres a handy little compound interest calculator site as well, which I use, which works it all out for you.

(Chortle!)

:)

Edited by noomill060

Have a look at this link. It will help you, but if you have any worries, just ask. :)

Step by step guide

F&Q's... Read here

Hi Martyn,

The next step is to identify the 'unlawful ' charges which you wish to reclaim - enter them on the Simple spreadsheet I gave you the link for in #14 - then send a Prelim Letter (see the templates library) asking for your money back.

Send a copy of the spreadsheet (minus the interest column) with the prelim and make it 'recorded delivery' - so someone has to sign for it .

At this stage you're giving them 14 days to reply - you'll get a fob-off letter , - ignore it and carry on to the Letter Before Action (LBA)stage .

If you need more advice just come back and ask .......:)

Edited by johnnymitch

Nemo me impune lacessit

I do not entirely agree with johnnymitch's method for one simple reason-

Even at this stage bungle needs to ask for the return of ALL money unlawfully debited. ie: unlawful charges PLUS all interest unlawfully levied thereon.

Interest is going to be the larger of these, if you give them the chance to get away with repaying a few/ a lot of £25 charges and keep the ££££s of interest that bungle has unwittingly paid over the years there is a possibility that they will. Bungle would then be sunk, as any chance to recover interest will have gone.

Bungle-

Get a highlighting pen and mark off each charge.

Make a list of each charge and the date applied.

Then set out a table with Date - Amount-Interest -Total in vertical columns.

then-

Go here and use this compound interest calculator, it works. ;)

Compound interest calculator

Set it up for a "12 -compounded monthly" ( click da drop down list where it says " Number of Rests")

click 360 day year

enter your interest rate in the box

enter amount of your earliest charge in the "Principal" box

date of that charge goes in the "start date" box

today's date goes in the "end date" box

then click calculate.

Eg- If they slapped a a £25 charge at 20% per on you on 24 Oct 2002, this would now have cost you £83.65 of money that you sweated for, and is costing you more everyday.

This is the amount for this charge that you want back!

You see, if you just meekly say " please can I have my £25 back" you are giving them the option to keep £58.65!!! Dont give the bar stweards the chance. That would be quite random, (if not totally bizarre) :rolleyes:

Any way, do this calculation for each and every charge, keeping a written note of the TOTAL and INTEREST.

When you have done this for each charge, complet the table (actually called the Schedule of Charges)

The first entry would look like this-

£25 24/10/02 £58.65 £83.65

Edited by noomill060

One more thing bungle-

If I were you I would alter all your posts which mention your real name- you should realise that not all posters are genuine. Banks and debt collection agencies scan these threads.

It is in your own interest to remain anonymous, you dont want to give away information useful to the enemy, do you?

FFS stop signing each post- no need. :-)

When you done the above calculation for each and every charge, tot up the totals.

This is the amount they have scammed you out of, and the amount you want back.

Lots, isnt it?

You can of course use the spreadsheet, but Ive found that compound interest calculator more profitable as it also works out the 12 monthly rests and 360 day year.

Hi Martyn,

If you have decided to go for the compound interest option I will leave you in nomill's capable hands ...... he knows more about it than I do :)

If you opt for the simple spreadsheet - the advice I gave earlier still stands - the section 69 interest of 8% doesn't kick in until the court stage and should not be included in the attachment to the Prelim or LBA letters.

Nemo me impune lacessit