Just fallen into trap!

tolstoy
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5727 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I received a default notice last month for a Charge Card account which I had not made payment on since 2003. Upon receiving the default I contacted the creditor and was asked to make a 'token' payment of £20 which I did. I can hear everyone groan at my naivety! Had I not made this payment then under the terms of the Credit Agreement the creditor should have registered it as a default after 3 months without payment, and the fact that they have done nothing for 5 years would have meant that I could have taken issue with them over this. Because I have now made the token payment then they are able to register it as a default 3 months from the date of the token payment and I am stuffed! I want to cry!

Before you offer them anything at all have you checked that they have a properly executed agreement? If they don't, they cannot pursue payment. Notsoevil works for a debt collection agency hence his advice to offer payment before checking that the paperwok pertaining to the account is in order first.

I made payment over the phone using Switch. Within a few days a normal statement arrived, as it has done for the last 5 years, showing exactly the same balance as ever PLUS - Payment received Thank You ---£20. So it is my guess that if I don't pay the whole amount by 23rd October THAT is when it will default, not back in 2003 when last proper payment was made. Bummer eh?

Thanks for your help. Is that possible? Although the drawback would be that my current accounts, business and personal, together with a small loan which I took out earlier this year, (all of which are glowing green on my credit report), are all held with RBS as well as this ancient chargecard. As the small loan application and business accounts were all approved without question, it would appear that the credit card division and the personal banking division have no knowledge of each other, and until now, this chargecard account had fallen down a black hole in the system. I suppose now the two divisions will unite over this damn thing and goodness only knows what will happen then. Any suggestions?

Yes, I have thought about that. I have virtually nothing in my personal accounts, but I am concerned about my business account which is only a sole trader business. Although there is nothing in it at present, obviously quite largish amounts come in from time to time when a job completes from which I need to pay the subcontractors who have done the work. If they put the snatch on that before subcontractors are paid I would be com pletely and utterly stuffed and the business, small though it is, would go straight down the pan. It's a nightmare

I expect everybody knows about this already, but I have just found out about new regulations relating to credit agreements - requests for documents, default notices etc - came into effect on 1st October 2008 http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/consumer_credit/oft1002.pdf I think this explains why my creditor chose to 'default' my account last month, even though they have sent me a statement saying that payment is not due until 27th October

Your business account is possibly safe if it is in the business name and not your own.

Although the account name is that of the business, I think because it is a sole trader account, it is actually still my own account i.e. I am the account holder. So very worried!

Does anybody else know anything about these new regs?

Your business account is possibly safe if it is in the business name and not your own.

Not for sole traders. Accounts for sole traders are usually named as 'Joe Bloggs trading as [or T/A] Sole Trader Business Name'.

I really do appreciate all those 'thank you' emails - I'm glad I've been able to help. Apologies if I haven't acknowledged all of them.

You can also ding my gong if you prefer. :)