• Tweets

• It would help us to advise you if you fill in the sticky that dx100uk posted yesterday, then we can start looking at this. It's also worth sending off an SAR [click on the letters for further information] to Met, so that you have all the information for later. You don't want to be trying to get hold of it in a rush. HB
    • I chose to transfer my Isa and went through the usual process, giving Shawbrook three weeks' notice, but it did not process the transfer until after my account matured.View the full article
    • so I need to return the questionaire   Do I go for the remediation fre eoption or straight to court?   is there a guide to filling this out or do i just go with what i think? (ie. judege, get all papers, make a decision)  
    • Thanks for replies people, I think i will hold tight for a bit.
    • Can I please have advice on how to deal with Forecourt Eye.  Received a letter claiming I drove off without paying for petrol three months ago...there is a picture of me at the pump and me clearly offering my card to pay - apparently I only paid for some snacks and then left. Its also for a very odd amount 23 - I did check my account and I was charged 1.50 for snacks. I obviously had every intention of paying and for some reason either the transaction didn't go through.    I am kind of fuming about this as I had no idea and if I did not pay I have no idea what the circumstances were , but not a 'drive off' as described by Forecourt Eye. I have no issue paying for the petrol if the payment for whatever reason did not go through. In fact we visited the garage on advice of a friend who has a legal background and offered to pay, the lady behind the till called the manager and we spoke to her on the phone where she robotically said its 'the way it is now and it goes to Forecourt Eye' I then said I am contractually obliged to pay you, not Forecourt Eye.  We are visiting the garage again when the manager is there and will offer to pay again.  Interestingly when we called in the lady behind the till asked if I had called the garage the day before about the matter- I said no that was not me, so somebody else clearly  has had the same issue, I can't see drive off's being that common in any petrol station! So I know I am not the only one.    I know calling Forecourt Eye is not advised, I visited a shell garage yesterday ( really not wanting to ) made sure I had chip and pin and made sure I knew exactly what was being entered into the machine. They now have their threatening posters all over the pumps, basically making them or the garage responsible for any mistake...
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

Virgin Media Problems

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5602 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all, I'll try and keep this as brief as possible but it's quite a long story!

Signed up to Virgin broadband in May 2007, everything was fine til mum got a laptop for christmas and i thought it would be good to get the higher speed broadband package from Virgin so on the 26th Dec i requested the new package.

Virgin didn't actually upgrade the package til April 2008 and everything was fine til the broadband died on the 12th August 08.

Phoned Virgin to report the fault, and first of all they said the modem was broken, then it was the router, then it was a few other things....all of which were working fine but i changed everything to humour Virgin.

I then found out that when the package was changed Virgin put me on a new 12 month contract, starting in April 08 and running til April 09, and if i wanted to cancel i'd need to pay the remaining 8 months of the contract. Told them this isn't acceptable since they didn't have my permission to restart the 12 month contract.

I have also found out that Virgin didn't do a line test to check whether the BT phoneline supported the faster broadband, which it doesn't.

So now i've been almost 4 weeks with no broadband, it's costing me a fortune in phonecalls to be told lies from Virgin's staff in various departments, and if i want to cancel the account i need to pay for the rest of the contract.

I've phoned technical support, been put through to a supervisor who accused me of lying because there weren't any notes on my account for half the phonecalls i've made. I was also told that i have been phoning too often and that Virgin will phone me in due course. I have put in a formal complaint in writing to their address in Swansea, but had no acknowledgement and i've now complained through OFCOM but it seems i'm getting nowhere fast with Virgin. I'm now at the point where i don't want them to fix the broadband, i want to cancel my account but obviously i don't want to have to pay the remaining 8 months payments on the contract. The next direct debit is due out my account on the 22nd Sept and when I phoned to ask why they're taking money for a service they're not providing i was told that I'll only get a refund once the broadband is reconnected, which i don't find acceptable.

Can anyone help with what to do now. I just want to have broadband again but I'm worried that by playing Virgin at their own game they'll put a tag on the line and i'll be stuck.

Any help is greatfully appreciated.

Thanks, Jo

My opinion would be to do as follows.

first of all, you need to examine VERY carefully the exact terms and conditions of your contract with Virgin, in particular what they sign up to provide. You need to ensure that they have not, in fact, performed their side of the contract.

Secondly, I would write to them requesting proof that you signed up for a 12 month contract.

Assuming you find a suitable clause, OR they cannot provide proof, you can proceed on the MAC code process, as Virgin cannot withhold a code due to contractual obligations or for debt collection processes. Then change provider, cancel DD, and let them sue :)

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

That's the problem, I've never received a contract from Virgin, from either the original sign up date in May 2007, or the supposed renewal in December 2007 / April 2008.

In my opinion (which may be wrong) they can't possibly have fulfilled their obligations in any contract since i've been 27 days (and counting) without broadband, regardless of the reasons why i don't have any service. They have told me that if i am without service for 30 days or more then i can cancel without penalty but i'm really wary of believing this.

You cant know that unfortunately, as you dont know what is IN their obligations currently unfortunately. I wholly agree, but whether we agree is irrelevant - it is whether the contract agrees that matter. Look on the website for their current terms perhaps?

BTW you dont have to have received a contract to have signed one - did you sign up online or over the phone? If over the phone you should have received T&Cs through the post, if online it will have been on the website.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

I have trawled their terms on their website and the only thing relating to changing packages is:

1. Changing to Another Virgin.net Service:
    If you are changing to an alternative Virgin Media non-cable Service, you can do so online in the "My Account" section of the Site. If you are changing from the Broadband Service to another Virgin Media service you shall be responsible for all relevant Charges relating to your account until the Effective Cancellation Date. Any email and webspace (Freespace) data, all email addresses (both primary and secondary email addresses) and any other features provided as part of the Service will be retained under your new Virgin Media non-cable service. However, if you terminate your current Service and register for a new service, clause H.3 will apply. The new service will be provided at the end of the notification period and the terms and conditions of service which apply to you new service will supersede these terms and conditions.
  2. Cancellation charge:
    Virgin Media will charge you the remainder of the Minimum Period if you cancel your Broadband Service within 12 months of the date your Broadband Service was activated.

Maybe i'm being thick, which might be quite feasible, it doesn't say anything about being subject to a new 12 month contract.

The full terms are here

What about their obligations due to the contract?

This is what Virgin state their obligations are on their website:

We will:

1. arrange for your phone line to be enabled to support ADSL, this happens automatically when you complete and submit your registration online. You do not need to contact your telephony provider (for example BT) directly;
  2. if your application is successful and subject to clause B, provide you with access to the Service via a unique Broadband user name, which you can only use from the home telephone number you have registered with us;
  3. provide high standards of Customer Support seven days a week, 365 days a year;
  4. provide sufficient access servers to ensure a high standard of connectivity to the Service;
  5. ensure that original content created by or for Virgin Media and offered through the Service meets normal professional editorial and publishing standards;
  6. handle any personal information you might supply to us when you use the Service in accordance with the Virgin Media Privacy Policy, which is hereby incorporated into this agreement;
  7. provide you with a webmail service;
  8. provide you with an anti-spam feature as part of the service which will review all emails sent to your accounts and will remove any email which it deems to be a spam email. Virgin Media does not accept responsibility for the filtering of any bona fide, non-spam emails, nor can it guarantee that the anti-spam feature will remove all spam emails;
  9. utilise an anti-virus feature which will review all emails sent to your account and will clean anything deemed to contain a virus. If the virus cannot be cleaned it will be removed from the email. Virgin Media does not accept responsibility for the usability of any cleaned files, nor can Virgin Media guarantee that all emails will be free from viruses.

OP

If you are on dial-up and and you upgrade to broadband, it is normal that you start a 12 month contract, because there are initial costs associated with providing you with that particular package, that the ISP want to recover.

If you have a faulty line, changing ISP will not make any difference, because they all use BT's infrastructure to deliver their service. So, you have to insist that Virgin fix the fault on your line. They will have to ensure that BT Openreach do their bit, because they own the infrastructure.

Most ISPs, when there are problems, always blame modem, routers, filters, cables but themselves, thus hoping to get rid of you. If your line is dead, it should be easy to see, but if the line is ok and you cannot log on it is your ISP. Also, if you can connect to the internet, but the speed is very low, BT will have to increse the speed on your line.

If you want to know more about iSPs, look here:

DSL ZoneUK - broadband for everyone

You can change suppliers with no hassle by requesting a MAC code. Virgin cannot block this with any tags etc.

However if they have signed you up to a 12 month term, they can send you the bill for this. Now in this situation other people on the forum are better equipped than me to instruct you on how to handle them. I'd personally send them a letter disputing the fact that there was ever mention of being subject to a 12 month term, and if they want payment they have to send proof.

If in doubt, contact a qualified insured legal professional (or my wife... she knows EVERYTHING)

Or send a cheque or postal order payable to Reclaim the Right Ltd.

to

923 Finchley Road London NW11 7PE

Click here if you fancy an email address that shows you mean business! (only £6 and that will really help CAG)

If you can't donate, please use the Internet Search boxes on the CAG pages - these will generate a small but regular income for the site

Please also consider using the

C.A.G. Toolbar

Firstly, I wasn't changing from dial up to broadband, i was already on broadband from may 2007. It was when they suggested I add the talk package onto my account for less than what i was paying for broadband on its own that they also tied me into a new contract without explaining this.

But moving on from this, it seems that the only way to get Virgin to respond was by making a formal complaint to Ofcom, where Virgin have 5 working days to respond with an appropriate resolution.

As it turns out they have accepted that the broadband speed is too high for the phone line to handle and have agreed to cancel the contract without me paying any penalties. It's unfortunate that you have to take things so far to get anywhere but at least it's sorted now, hopefully.

Thank you for all your advice

• 2 months later...

Can anyone confirm the correct address to write to if you want to make a formal complaint?

I sent a fairly hefty complaint letter to them in September, to the welsh address I was given by customer services but not only did I get no acknowledgement or reply, I've now had a reminder in for my final bill, despite me paying for everything in advance ie I paid for August, September and October even though I had no service so I'm not sure how they can charge me anything.

They have the usual "if you don't pay this then we'll pass to DCA" bit on their letter. I tried emailing them to ask for a copy of this final bill since they've now de-activated my account and they said I had to phone. Rang them and no one could send or email the bill to me.

Am i obliged to pay this amount even though I don't know what I'm paying for?

• 1 month later...

Ok mate this is the exact same thing i went through with virgin they think they are so smart all i did was sent a letter saying that they had miss sold a new contract to me without my knowledge or consent and that i was going to go to public authoritys and the press if it was not rectified i had virgin on the phone apoligising and canceling my contract when i asked and they said that i had been mislead and that there was no contract on my account and the the op that said that isps blame everything but themselfs it does not go like that i am a senior broadband tech and there are certain ways of doing things it makes more sense to send out a new router or modem and than to send out an openreach engineer that costs £120 before you even start. And then if the issue is not resolved and it turns out to be the router then you have just wasted money and the customers time.