• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

I Beat LBL last night!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5698 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

a chap from LB collections knocked on door at 8 o'clock saying he knows I am with astephensons. He gave me a letter from LBL to sign absolving me from tv debt and waiving their rights to ownership of the car if I cease my legal action!

Happy days. Call me if you need info. {Edit} Phone number removed please do not post personal details on the open forum

Edited by pt2537
see posted info

How did you manage that? Congratulations indeed in getting it in writing, keep a copy of that letter somewhere safe as they may decided they will come after you a couple of years down the line.

I am now scanning in all legal letters and putting them on a memory stick so I can find them when I want them, the memory stick is labelled 'Legal stuff' so I know what is on it. I think it is safer keeping it on a stick rather than on a pc, 'just in case of a crash'.

I've got a long running issue with C1 and because I've kept my stuff they are now stuffed.

Very well done indeed on your success with this bunch of sharks.

Google stephensons if you need to see who they are. They are based in Manchester

Edited by yourbank
Changed post as link being removed made no sense.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

That was the original deal the Log Book Loans solicitors were offering Stephenson's clients, myself included but to what I understand and how it was explained to me, accepting the deal means each party covers their OWN costs. So if it has costed YOU solicitors fees you have just agreed to pay those fees YOURSELF also should you later want to go after them for the money you have already paid should it be proven that the contracts were unfair etc then if you have signed their agreement you cant, think its whats called a PART 26 offer if I am wrong please correct.

I'm fighting back and ready to go :D who will be my first victim? LBL, Brighthouse.

..."If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life."

I am not here to insult or offend...just to offer advice and seek advice as all this is a learning experience, such is the cycle of life...for those that would wish to insult me for my thoughts or deeds...Stay Blessed for I know my heart is pure with no ill thought towards YOU. :cool:

Nationwide Won:D Benefits returned £577

I dont understand why everyone is saying dont sign? I do actually want to put this to bed? I have signed and I am free of them, this is exactly what I wanted. I'm not bothered about getting the money I paid them back as I in complete consciousness DID take out a loan.

Yes, they are cowboys and extremely unfair in their practices but I still took their money when I needed it.

Matter closed and LBL are off my back! Yipee!

Again I will say: I take it YOU dont have solicitor costs? As the deal does not benefit you if you did as you have won but then you have to pay your own solicitor's costs, however had it gone to court and you won they have to pay them automatically. As the deal I remember them offering specifically said saved to costs and it was explained everyone would be responsible for his or her own costs. small victory when your solicitors fees are £2000

I dont understand why everyone is saying dont sign? I do actually want to put this to bed? I have signed and I am free of them, this is exactly what I wanted. I'm not bothered about getting the money I paid them back as I in complete consciousness DID take out a loan.

Yes, they are cowboys and extremely unfair in their practices but I still took their money when I needed it.

Matter closed and LBL are off my back! Yipee!

I'm fighting back and ready to go :D who will be my first victim? LBL, Brighthouse.

..."If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life."

I am not here to insult or offend...just to offer advice and seek advice as all this is a learning experience, such is the cycle of life...for those that would wish to insult me for my thoughts or deeds...Stay Blessed for I know my heart is pure with no ill thought towards YOU. :cool:

Look sweetnsexy, I'm not going to get into a semantic argument about this. So, again, at the end of the day I understand some peoples need to take this all the way due to costs and so on, but for me, you are right, no solicitors costs, so it works for me.

My solicitor was pro-bono as never required any injunctions or anything to be filed in court, plus they couldnt initially find me as I just moved house and didnt even tell my bank so they couldnt track me.

The finally tracked me as I applied for a new Logbook from DVLA with new address, thats how they found me.

Look sweetnsexy, I'm not going to get into a semantic argument about this. So, again, at the end of the day I understand some peoples need to take this all the way due to costs and so on, but for me, you are right, no solicitors costs, so it works for me.

My solicitor was pro-bono as never required any injunctions or anything to be filed in court, plus they couldnt initially find me as I just moved house and didnt even tell my bank so they couldnt track me.

The finally tracked me as I applied for a new Logbook from DVLA with new address, thats how they found me.

I am not arguing with you but you can not say dont tell people not to sign when they have solicitor's fees, it worked out for you and am happy for you, and believe me had I not had to think about getting saddled with the costs I would have accepted my deal. But the harsh reality is before accepting the deals being offered it makes sense to speak with solicitor first to see if the deal is good for that individual hence I will still keep saying dont sign and speak with solicitor, if they are being forceful over accepting as I have been informed they have been, then if they wont accept you need to discuss it first then threaten them with the police!!

Point taken! My situation is unique to me as everyones is to them, and we must all do what is best for us, for me it was to sign, and for others it is probably NOT to sign.

Good group of people on here giving up their personal free time to help. hats off to you all.

I won too two days ago with no solicitors fees either yeah!!!

Well Done to you too!!:D

H755bpx....I have come to pick your brain because our little interaction the other day got me thinking;) and if anyone has any views I'd also be happy for your views...

Now your first post...

a chap from LB collections knocked on door at 8 o'clock saying he knows I am with astephensons. He gave me a letter from LBL to sign absolving me from tv debt and waiving their rights to ownership of the car if I cease my legal action!

Happy days. Call me if you need info. {Edit} Phone number removed please do not post personal details on the open forum

Did you not get a similar offer a few months ago from their solicitor as I too am with Stephensons and received what I think was a Part 26...the offer at that time left me over joyed until I spoke with solicitor.

They have written off the debt and surrendered title to the car if I promised to cancel legal proceedings.

This would have suited me fine but when the solicitor told me my fees were £2000 I realised it didn't help me.... therefore I explained below

That was the original deal the Log Book Loans solicitors were offering Stephenson's clients, myself included but to what I understand and how it was explained to me, accepting the deal means each party covers their OWN costs. So if it has costed YOU solicitors fees you have just agreed to pay those fees YOURSELF also should you later want to go after them for the money you have already paid should it be proven that the contracts were unfair etc then if you have signed their agreement you cant, think its whats called a PART 26 offer if I am wrong please correct.

But then you had said your solicitor worked pro-bono. Now I kept hearing that but at no point in time did Stephensons offer to work on my case for free even tho my money even shows I am on less than the gov minimum with three children. I filed in the papers for legal aid from the get go however I believe I was told that they were not able to get funding for everyone unless there was a threat of court action. And that they would have to proceed with the Test case first. However 5 months down the line I have heard nothing of this supposedly test case, and turning down the offer then required them to instate the legal aid....now my point is this

The solicitor knew I had no means by which to pay him without the legal aid, so why take on my case? As he didn't offer me no pro-bono deal.

So had I accept the offer he could not very well have looked to me for fees as he already had my financial circumstances, and someone also explained that solicitors often hold off applying for legal aid...I think this was the case as if I had legal aid from the start fee's would never have been my issue as legal aide would cover me based on my circumstances.

The new deal he proposed to offer did upset me as it was the same original deal but with the solicitors cost thrown it which made me consider this was more for their personal gain not mine! And further made me consider this after the comment you made.

So I then have to wonder, is the solicitor scaremongering as I received two calls from him, one stating that clients have complained they have been bullied to accept, however the two on here that have signed seem happy enough....

Were you threatened? Did they appear bully-ish?

Also the next call said they had started taking peoples cars again, hence my sleepless nights are back of the last few days as I cant hide my car I am ill and require it to get my kids to school without having to play hide and seek with it, which I then asked them why hasn't the injunction been dealt with yet? They gave some talk on how not everyone had had their legal aid sorted but mines been done as I chased that one up myself.

Something is just not right:confused:

Hi sweet n sexy. Firstly, I wasnt bullied no, he did say that if the agreement wasnt signed that he had the right to take the car, which unfortunately is fact. I wouldve signed anyway!

Stephensons as far as I was told (and is the case for everyone) are working pro-bono unless it comes to a point where injunctions are required, in which case they will need to be funded by Legal Aid, or the client directly.

As no injunctions have been insitigated, whcih I think they *should* of been, I believe that the work so far is pro-bono, as I have not signed anything to say I owe any more or a balance has accrued on my account.

Plus, in all fairness, if they did say I owe, I would tell them I dont as they havent done their job. The whole 9 months I have been with them, I have been given NO protection on my car?

Thank You very much for your response... Since the calls from the solicitors I have been further stressed and just want it over, anyone on here that has read what I have been going through without even considering the LBL aspect will see I have been through more than my fair share of troubles.

I called the solicitor's yesterday to discuss my issues and as it was the assistant there was not much he could tell me. I my initial feeling is no matter what money / compensation the judge awards it cant buy sleep.

So when I was awoken by my son at little after 7am and it turned out to be a LBL rep offering the deal, I felt my prayers had been secretly answered. I did however scan all documents and get the person delivering it to sign them even though she said she had been advised not to but it was the only way she would have gotten my signature...she however was very nice, polite etc , she allowed me to do what I needed to do that after it turned out i'd had her here quite sometime, I invited her in and offered her a drink...that again leads me to believe some of this has been scaremongering.

I forwarded everything to my solicitor who has replied..."It is not the case that the granting of a Legal Aid certificate releases you from any costs liability" However I have been advised by a friend that often solicitor's hold off applying for legal aide, from that comment he leads me to assume I have charges however, as of yesterday someone was only JUST going to register my injunction, like yourself this should have in my opinion been done from the start as we were always faced with the threat.

Not enough feedback was given and I was never in a position to be able to pay my fee's that realistically had the solicitor thought I was not a viable source of funding he would not have taken me on,however he never once mentioned Pro Bono either.

What is your take on that then:-|

Hi sweet n sexy. Firstly, I wasnt bullied no, he did say that if the agreement wasnt signed that he had the right to take the car, which unfortunately is fact. I wouldve signed anyway!

Stephensons as far as I was told (and is the case for everyone) are working pro-bono unless it comes to a point where injunctions are required, in which case they will need to be funded by Legal Aid, or the client directly.

As no injunctions have been insitigated, whcih I think they *should* of been, I believe that the work so far is pro-bono, as I have not signed anything to say I owe any more or a balance has accrued on my account.

Plus, in all fairness, if they did say I owe, I would tell them I dont as they havent done their job. The whole 9 months I have been with them, I have been given NO protection on my car?

Hi again! I completely agree. I had signed two lots of Legal Aid forms with said company, the first ones signed about 5 months ago were never actioned as when an injunction was mentioned I was asked to sign them again as the others were out of date.

The way I see it, I havent signed anything to the effect that I accept any charges, and if there are any, then they knew about them and should've sent my leal aid forms in for authorisation months ago. They certainly will not get any of my money.

Throughout this whole process, to be fair, I have gone it alone. I have had to take measures to ensure my car remains in my posession, all the solicitors have done in a nutshell is advise LBL that I will take them to court.

As for the granting of legal aid not free you from cost liability - what a load of old twaddle, yes it does, that's why it is LEGAL AID, as long as it is only upto and not over the value on the certificate.

For me, there has been a lot of scaremongering, but in all fairness when LB Collections popped round to see me, they were perfectly civil and no means threatening.

Just my two penneth.

Sweetnsexy - You should of been on the pro-bono deal until court action began, otherwise, I think justification needs to be sought as to WHY some people are on pro-bono and some are not? I can't think it has anything to do with financial stature either, as at the end of the day, we all used LBL for a reason!

Well I requested your tuppence and totally agree, in relation to the legal aide I assume he is saying that legal aide covers me from the date it was granted but the date it was granted has jack to do with me as I am not in control of when it was applied for I only know what I signed and when I sent it in and nothing but letters had ever gone out.

I was also put out that when I turned down the deal the new one the solicitor chose to ask of LBL was exactly the same but including his fee's....what about me? I felt like the solicitor's deal was in his own personal interest so I refused to agree to it being sent.

I have waited ages for someone to call me back so I could get advice regarding case and like you have done pretty much my own investigation... even when I was told my legal aide required ME to pay towards it, I had to chase it up and find out why as it appeared although they acknowledge my child benefit & child tax credit which is all I live off, it didnt acknowledge that I had children:rolleyes: which I ended up having to chase up and still never got the appointed call back from the solicitors to discuss my initial concerns.

If they do persist in requiring money I have been given a contact number to make complaints regarding such matters and will give it a call. But again thank you for your response both the other day and today as it led me to do some rethinking mostly about what I had been told by my solicitor, and as a close friend told me just last night....the solicitor does not care about you just where the money is coming from.

Hi again! I completely agree. I had signed two lots of Legal Aid forms with said company, the first ones signed about 5 months ago were never actioned as when an injunction was mentioned I was asked to sign them again as the others were out of date.

The way I see it, I havent signed anything to the effect that I accept any charges, and if there are any, then they knew about them and should've sent my leal aid forms in for authorisation months ago. They certainly will not get any of my money.

Throughout this whole process, to be fair, I have gone it alone. I have had to take measures to ensure my car remains in my posession, all the solicitors have done in a nutshell is advise LBL that I will take them to court.

As for the granting of legal aid not free you from cost liability - what a load of old twaddle, yes it does, that's why it is LEGAL AID, as long as it is only upto and not over the value on the certificate.

For me, there has been a lot of scaremongering, but in all fairness when LB Collections popped round to see me, they were perfectly civil and no means threatening.

Just my two penneth.

I will help in any way I can, if you want to discuss it further PM me your number and I will give you a call.

Cheers

Thank you will do.