• Tweets

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

I Beat LBL last night!

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5679 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

I can relate to wanting to just 'put it to bed' but in accepting these type of agreements you are strengthening LBL's hand by keeping it 'out of court', and therefore if everyone was to do they will just keep on doing what they are doing and gaining more and more victims, most of whom will simply accept their car getting swiped and/or staggeringly high interest and charges. Most of their loans are for relatively small amounts anyway, so the cost to them isn't that great.

Those who have the strength to keep fighting will be rewarded.

I know what your saying fleeced, but keeping my car was number one priority, they gave me an option, settle (which didn’t cost me a penny), or they will take my car, not much of a choice. Not overly concerned about making money on top or having payments back as I DID take out a loan. In my opinion attempts to challenge the agreement when not under threat are merely people jumping on the bandwagon and trying to avoid paying.

I had paid my loan without a problem until a change of circumstances and they refused to help, that is when I sought legal help, primarily to keep my car.

Everyones situation is different, and I sympathise for the folk that have been wronged by LBL. I also think they should be brought to task and regulated properly so that there interest rates aren’t so ludicrous, but at the end of the day, we all walked into taking a secured loan on a car with our eyes open.

My case is over, and I wish everyone else luck who is having problems with LBL.

As for what you said about “strengthening LBL’s hand” while keeping it out of court, unfortunately I had to be selfish and think about myself as I have children and require a car. I wouldn’t feel particularly noble if I had to walk everywhere.

As for what you said about “strengthening LBL’s hand” while keeping it out of court, unfortunately I had to be selfish and think about myself as I have children and require a car. I wouldn’t feel particularly noble if I had to walk everywhere.

The whole point of 'pro-bono' work is 'for the greater public good', and in the case of LBL the aim is not just absolving individuals of their debt or keeping the cars it has to be bringing the company to account within the law and hopefully cease trading. I agree we all went into the agreements with our eyes open to a degree but I haven't heard yet of a case where the 'bill of sale' was explained accurately nor of the company's eagerness to repossess at the drop of a hat - in fact most loans were sold as the company being 'great' and 'helpful' and that repo's happen very rarely etc. It is one thing offering extortionate finance, but LBL take it too far - and the horror stories abound of people who paid far more than they borrowed and still lost their cars, cars that were taken despite loans being satisfied etc, all point to a company deliberately taking advantage of their already desperate customers. In that respect none of us really understood what we getting tangled up in, and it is that more than anything that needs a judgement in court

As for these agreements, what would you do if, say in two months time, you awake to find some tallywacker clamping your car and who won't accept your unwitnessed agreement as evidence of your absolving of debt to LBL? The police won't be interested ('civil matter, sorry miss'), LBL will probably fob you off and you will be left having to kick everything off again. Sorry for the negativity but nobody connected to that company (certainly not their solicitor) has any scruples whatsoever, and this is a situation that could so easily happen.

Edited by Fleeced73

hi all just having a quick read

i feel log book loans have done a dirty on stephensons

before accepting, should you have phoned stephensons to let them know the situation

after all, they are the pros

it looks to me that stephensons have them on some thing, that is why they ditched for cover

dont think stephensons will be to happy

just putting a valid point

nothing personel

I can relate to wanting to just 'put it to bed' but in accepting these type of agreements you are strengthening LBL's hand by keeping it 'out of court', and therefore if everyone was to do they will just keep on doing what they are doing and gaining more and more victims, most of whom will simply accept their car getting swiped and/or staggeringly high interest and charges. Most of their loans are for relatively small amounts anyway, so the cost to them isn't that great.

Those who have the strength to keep fighting will be rewarded.

Fleeced...I am unaware if you have read any of my previous threads...But I have been fighting for the last 5 months and Log Book Loans is only one fraction of my problems I cant speak for anyone else...I am so desperate to have my life back you have no idea it's not about strength there just comes a time when you are tired of fighting as that's all you ever seem to do and I have neglected so much of my time with the kids because I have been busy fighting one case after another.

I'm fighting back and ready to go :D who will be my first victim? LBL, Brighthouse.

..."If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life."

I am not here to insult or offend...just to offer advice and seek advice as all this is a learning experience, such is the cycle of life...for those that would wish to insult me for my thoughts or deeds...Stay Blessed for I know my heart is pure with no ill thought towards YOU. :cool:

Nationwide Won:D Benefits returned £577

The whole point of 'pro-bono' work is 'for the greater public good', and in the case of LBL the aim is not just absolving individuals of their debt or keeping the cars it has to be bringing the company to account within the law and hopefully cease trading. I agree we all went into the agreements with our eyes open to a degree but I haven't heard yet of a case where the 'bill of sale' was explained accurately nor of the company's eagerness to repossess at the drop of a hat - in fact most loans were sold as the company being 'great' and 'helpful' and that repo's happen very rarely etc. It is one thing offering extortionate finance, but LBL take it too far - and the horror stories abound of people who paid far more than they borrowed and still lost their cars, cars that were taken despite loans being satisfied etc, all point to a company deliberately taking advantage of their already desperate customers. In that respect none of us really understood what we getting tangled up in, and it is that more than anything that needs a judgement in court

As for these agreements, what would you do if, say in two months time, you awake to find some tallywacker clamping your car and who won't accept your unwitnessed agreement as evidence of your absolving of debt to LBL? The police won't be interested ('civil matter, sorry miss'), LBL will probably fob you off and you will be left having to kick everything off again. Sorry for the negativity but nobody connected to that company (certainly not their solicitor) has any scruples whatsoever, and this is a situation that could so easily happen.

My solicitor never offered or mentioned any pro-bono and I am with stephensons, and unable to pay as I am only in receipt of child benefit and child tax credit...and am a single parent with 3 children.

Your last statement tho I do totally agree with, as my three letters where just A4 poorly printed letters, which the person who came round admitted they were printed at home and the ink was running out. The letters had no company letter head and Mr Foster's signature looks like a faint (very faint as you have to look real hard to see the paper had a something that should resemble a signature which you cant even see on the scanned image) this is why I made her sign it, to which she stated she was told not to sign anything but in order to obtain my signature she had to. And even then as I do not know her from adam or her position within the company I dont even know if the signature counts for jack as over the weekend I have been considering all sorts... and just by looking at the one letter I was provided with you can imagine what the other two looked like.

LBL00022.gif

I am good at computers and a dab hand at altering documents, who's to say when we supplied the signature on the piece of unofficial A4 that our signature and the date we signed it in our own hand is not going to be copied onto a document that we did not sign... There are possibilities for anything but then does that mean that we should be suspicious of everything? I did forward mine directly to the solicitors so they too have a copy and I guess even he has some doubt with the papers I signed as today I have received notification for injunction and this letter was dated yesterday I actually signed LBL's thing Friday. So maybe there is more to Fleeced argument to be considered.

hi all just having a quick read

i feel log book loans have done a dirty on stephensons

before accepting, should you have phoned stephensons to let them know the situation

after all, they are the pros

it looks to me that stephensons have them on some thing, that is why they ditched for cover

dont think stephensons will be to happy

just putting a valid point

nothing personel

And in reply ...faced with them at your door little after 7am I doubt the solicitors would be able to help at that point in time, which is probably one reason why many would sign, me personally my need for a nights sleep without watching my car all night, and the fact the person actually woke me all ready feeling quite exhausted. However I had not even expected such a speedily reply from my solicitor to my email's which weren't sent till after 8am.

I'm fighting back and ready to go :D who will be my first victim? LBL, Brighthouse.

..."If you have no confidence in self, you are twice defeated in the race of life."

I am not here to insult or offend...just to offer advice and seek advice as all this is a learning experience, such is the cycle of life...for those that would wish to insult me for my thoughts or deeds...Stay Blessed for I know my heart is pure with no ill thought towards YOU. :cool:

• 2 weeks later...
a chap from LB collections knocked on door at 8 o'clock saying he knows I am with astephensons. He gave me a letter from LBL to sign absolving me from tv debt and waiving their rights to ownership of the car if I cease my legal action!

Happy days. Call me if you need info. {Edit} Phone number removed please do not post personal details on the open forum

Hi

i am new to this forum and need help with resolving this problem. Can you possibly let me know, what your circumstances were and what argument you used by your solicitors in order to obtain this settlement.

In all honesty, LBL knew that my solicitors were involved, they just sent out the letters t LBL stating that the loan was in dispute and so on. Nothing ever went to court, the chap coming round was completely out of the blue.

Apart from telling you my story, I cant really give any advice as I dont really know why they did it. Speak to your solicitors on the matter and see what they recommend.

The matter of LBL has & is in court & HAS BEEN FOR SOME TIME. I understand that claims have been issued & early court dates arranged

So h775 I ask again STOP misleading people

I said I CAN'T give and advice JonCris, stop being an arse.

No one objects to you telling people what happened to you or even you advising them to follow your example but what gets stuck in my craw are your statements which have absolutely no founding in fact & can only be designed to encourage victims to settle which makes me wonder why!

If you are genuine former customer of LBL then for some reason you have no idea what's going on so don't pretend you do & mislead those who are

H755BPX : you would do well to not rise to Jon Cris's bate, I have said it before and I will say it again, feel free to correct me if I am incorrect but the comments about advise....erm this is a forum and if I remember correctly the discussion on this thread took place between H775 and myself, the PRIVATE conversation that took place which Jon Cris incorrectly chose to bring to the moderators attention (mentioned in his important thread that had nothing of importance other than a personal dig at another forum user) with no solid facts of what the discussion between H755 and myself involved.

I can confirm I am a grown woman and the discussion and advice offered by H755 or anyone else on the forum I may or may not take on board everyone is entitled to an opinion, and I read his comment to the person that requested advice and I do not see where H755 put a foot wrong to require Jon Cris to again monitor his conversations in order to find fault. Why am I so bothered??? Because I am annoyed that Jon Cris believes he has the right to censor people, he acts like he is the only one to have genuine dealings with LBL that even I have been on the receiving end of his rudeness when I myself believe I have been polite to every member of the forum I have ever come across whether I agree with them or not.

I do not know what personal interest LBL is to Jon Cris but dont for one second assume that gives you the inside knowledge and only you and you alone can comment, advise etc. Advice is to be given and it is an individuals choice whether or not to accept the given advice or obtain further information so as to make an informed choice, and as this is a forum where Jon has previously lowered the tone to insult me because I stated what a forum is used for I doubt I should need to remind him although he will probably take offence and resort to the type of mentality I have already witnessed.

Life is too short but this is getting to be ridiculously petty.

Hi again! I completely agree. I had signed two lots of Legal Aid forms with said company, the first ones signed about 5 months ago were never actioned as when an injunction was mentioned I was asked to sign them again as the others were out of date.

The way I see it, I havent signed anything to the effect that I accept any charges, and if there are any, then they knew about them and should've sent my leal aid forms in for authorisation months ago. They certainly will not get any of my money.

Throughout this whole process, to be fair, I have gone it alone. I have had to take measures to ensure my car remains in my posession, all the solicitors have done in a nutshell is advise LBL that I will take them to court.

As for the granting of legal aid not free you from cost liability - what a load of old twaddle, yes it does, that's why it is LEGAL AID, as long as it is only upto and not over the value on the certificate.

For me, there has been a lot of scaremongering, but in all fairness when LB Collections popped round to see me, they were perfectly civil and no means threatening.

Just my two penneth.

they took my car yesterday from dublin ireland i wonder whether your solicitor can still help me.

Assuming an agreement was signed by the claimant & the solicitor & if legal costs are NOT included as part of any settlement then the client will become liable for said costs hence the reason for renegotiating a settlement to INCLUDE costs

If nothing was signed or agreed between parties then no liability for costs is incurred

The granting of legal aid does not free a litigant from liability.

If it did there would be no requirement in law for the losing party to pay the said costs & the burden would fall on the taxpayer rather than the none legal aid party

It's known as the indemnity principal

Hi

I too was offered this deal...but the catch was i had to pay the solicitors fees which was more than the orignal loan, of £3000.

I was tempted to sign, just to get them off my back, but it would be a catch 22....i would have the solicitors on my back instead of LbL.

However l am glad if this has worked out for all you LbL loaners.