Co-op unenforceable agreement?

wellpastit
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5680 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Firstly, what a great site!

My situation:

I have an outstanding credit card balance with the Co-op.

I have had no actual "card" with them for a number of years now, but still have a (to me anyway) large sum outstanding.

I am currently on benefits due to health problems, and my wife works.

Before my wife was working(some 12 mths ago), i had on occasion defaulted payments when i simply had not the money to pay their minimum requirement. I estimate that i have not actually used this VISA account to purchase goods etc.. for more than 6 years! Apart from the odd default, which is now rectified, i have paid consistently, sometimes more than the minimum when afforded, for nigh on 7/8 years!

To the point (sorry):

I have read with interest about the possibility of some CCA's being unenforceable, so it is my intention to try and have this (alleged) debt withdrawn, so to speak.

I have a few questions if someone would be so kind as to assist .

1/ In the letter i send requesting a copy of the CCA (with fee), Should i mention my intentions, as to the legallity of the alleged debt etc..?

2/ should i carry on paying them their minimum payments?

3/ Can i expect trouble with bailiffs etc.. (i really could do without this with my health probs)

4/ Is it possible at any time, by defaulting? to prevent them handing the alleged debt over to an agency etc?

summary:

The VISA account itself originally commenced around 17 years ago or so.

I must have paid thousands to them in the years since my last purchase, yet they still demand over £2,000 outstanding! Crazy?

thx

for taking the time to look at my plight. And hope someone can advise/help etc..

What do you peeps think? Best or worst case scenario?

W

Edited by wellpastit
corrected heading

Just to add.

Although, as someone said on a forum somewhere i think, I agree that maybe we should take some responsibilty for our actions, I still can't help thinking that credit cards and many purveyors of such are evil.

In my instance, i remember, although i'll repeat that an actual credit card has not been reissued to me for around 6/7 years, that when this account was "active" with card etc.. There were occasons when the "credit limit" was increased without my prior knowledge or consent.

I find these kinds of actions irresponsible.

I roughly estimate that, for a total in the region of £3,000 spend on my card, i have repaid approx` £4,500 or so and still allegedly owe over £2,000. Yet, when i have wrote and spoken to them, they refuse to acknowledge this, or "freeze" the account outstanding to prevent the monthly interest accumulating, althought they did "reduce" the interest rate for a few months, maybe there's a case there for me?

I honestly think there is room in legislation, but i doubt it will happen, for credit card accounts that are in financial limbo, as mine is, to at least have the interest rate dropped or "frozen" for a undefined period. Also help with managing repayments could be so simple but effective.

This would help a lot of people in trouble with all kinds of debt, large or small.

What do you guys think?

W

• 1 month later...

Hi what department have you spoken to Have you advised you are in financial difficulty they will need to put you through to the Managed Accounts department who could freeze the interest being applied or write in to the cutomer feedback department and complain this normally works if you have some good eveidence of being unfairly dealt with and mention taking it further if this isnt resolved.