Please can someone advise?

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5751 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

How many of you fear debt collectors?  

15 Caggers have voted

1. 1. How many of you fear debt collectors?

• Yes...
    • No...
    • Sometimes...
    • No dealings with them...

Hi Guys and Gals,

Firstly, let me start by saying 'hi' and I am kicking off my post by asking for some serious advice as I have been ducking and diving debt collection for years now due to bad experience from a very frightening agency who scared my wife and children beyond belief and made us leave the country (UK).

We miss the UK so much but live in fear that the agencies will take what few posessions we and the children have if we return - which after my youngest brother died last year - I need to do to watch over his family.

I have been so scared I have moved us over and over again so we dont have these crazy people follow us. We are not working and on benefits and are afraid to come home to a normal life as every knock at the door when we were there was a different debt collector for the same debts and we had no money and still dont.

I dont know what to do?

I am willing to pay it off bit by bit but I am afraid that when I return they will just simply turn up and take what little we have.

I want to contact Experian or Equifax to get a copy of my record so I know who to contact but I fear that the address that it is sent to will be harrassed as we are not in the UK.

What can I do? I want to be debt free and actually have a normal life but I dont know what to do?

Any help would be appreciated as I really now am at wits end. I even changed our surnames by deed pole to throw them off the tracks.

I know I sound a coward but it was a fight or flight reaction which I regret as I wasnt there to spend a lot of time with my brother - so I have regretted it tearfully every day since.

Can someone please help with any advice as I will be waiting patiently.

Thanks,

TheInvisibleMan

urm...

need to do some reading and use the search facility here me thinks.

well don't run, there is no need to.

it can all be sorted, and you will all have a better life,

just remember it's only a few debts.

one of the first things you need to do is have a good look at the timescales here...do any of your debts go back more than 6 yrs since you last paid them, could be good news!

you need to start some threads in the correct forums too. under the name of the debtor/bank

dx

please don't hit Quote...just type we know what we said earlier..

DCA's view debtors as suckers, marks and mugs

NO DCA has ANY legal powers whatsoever on ANY debt no matter what it's Type

and they

are NOT and can NEVER  be BAILIFFS. even if a debt has been to court..

If everyone stopped blindly paying DCA's Tomorrow, their industry would collapse overnight... 

Do not contact experian as you are right about DCA's getting your address from them. Next, it is not a crime to falter on a debt and you cannot be jailed for it. To take your belongings they need a court order. You need to state on here what your debts are i.e. to who, haw much, last paid, type of debt, what has been happening. You'll then get a walk through of what you need to do. Stop worrying and face up to it. With CAG help you'll soon be in the driving seat. If your debts go back years you will be in for an easier ride, relatively new debts can be more difficult. I was owing 30k and all is fine now. I still owe it but they have all given up. Chin up.

Firstly let me appologise for posting on the wrong section, I don't have much experience on forums and was so happy I found this site I thought it was the correct section to post in...sorry.

My debts stretch back over 12 years and the latest ones were bank overdrafts last year from my university accounts as I had to quit whilst they were in the red. One of them I used a cheque book unaware that the account was at its overdraft max (assumming I had a further payment gone in from student loans which didnt happen) and so I am now super worried as I have recently found out you can only have one student account which I was not told at the time.

I owe electric, gas and I think council tax from around 6 years ago but that was only about £150 pounds.

I have had to default on insurance payments with car insurers which I dont know if they will chase me for £80 or £30 in some cases as I needed transport but never have the money as something else came up.

I even took out a capital one card which is £131 in debt to pay off other accounts.

How can I get my credit reference if I cannot post it to a address? I can't solve it if I dont know what I owe and even if I know what do I do anyway???

Any help you can offer is greatly appreciated and I thank those who posted so far in response.

Sincerely,

THEINVISIBLEMAN

Hi TwoFoot,

Thanks for your response but I dont want to let them come to me I would rather find out my debts and then fight them on a united front so they dont scare the family like last time.

Is there a section of this site that deals with what I can do to stop baliffs coming around ie. Write to the individual agencies to stop them?

Also what do I do about contact them, what to say etc...

Thanks

THEINVISIBLEMAN

if you read the posts in this forum, you'll find all the answers to your questions and more

(From the fact that you've been able to come straight here and set up polls, post in nice fonts etc, I'm guessing you are no stranger to forums or computing)

:)

When you've had all the help you need, make sure you stick around to help others too!

Just think, if everyone left the site after they'd got their help, there might not be anyone left the next time YOU come back needing more assistance!!!!!!!

Hi and welcome, the debts that are over 6 years old are statute barred, which means that they are no longer payable by you, just never admit to the debt or allow yourself to be co-erced into paying even a penny towards it otherwise the clock starts again, not sure about the council tax one though.

Lula

Lula v Abbey - Settled

Lula v Abbey (2) - Settled

Lula v Abbey (3) - Stayed