Advice Needed Please

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5745 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

hi, im looking for some advice, ive been working for my employer for 3 years now and i have received a written warning and due to appear at a hearing tommorow, i recieved the warning as last friday i took a sick day from work and my partner called in to advise them i wouldnt be in, the reason for my absence was because on the wednesday my supervisor was harrasing me and accusing me of taking drugs and thoughout the day she was making comments about this even after i told her that i wasnt. on the friday i was off i was meant to be working with my supervisor again and i was up most of the night worrying as i didnt want to listen to her accusing me again, the reason stated on my letter for my warning was that i did not contact management to explain my absence, i did not answer calls or texts from them, i did not explain to management the reason for my absence on return until asked to do so also not apologising until asked to do so, i feel this is a bit harsh i know i should have called in myself rather than my partner, but im unsure if i should have maybe received a verbal warning first as ive only ever been off sick one other day. many thanks leanne.

I'm pretty sure an employer has to give an oral warning before a written warning, except obviously in the case of gross misconduct.

I'm a little confused about why your supervisor accused you of drug taking. If she is harrassing you, you need to raise a grievance about that.

My advice is based on my opinion, my experience and my education. I do not profess to be an expert in any given field. If requested, I will provide a link where possible to relevant legislation or guidance, so that advice provided can be confirmed and I do encourage others to follow those links for their own peace of mind. Sometimes my advice is not what people necesserily want to hear, but I will advise on facts as I know them - although it may not be what a person wants to hear it helps to know where you stand. Advice on the internet should never be a substitute for advice from your own legal professional with full knowledge of your individual case.

Please do not seek, offer or produce advice on a consumer issue via private message; it is against

forum rules to advise via private message, therefore pm's requesting private advice will not receive a response.

(exceptions for prior authorisation)

I'm pretty sure an employer has to give an oral warning before a written warning,

An employer can give a WW even though you do not have a OW. Often this will be in cases that the employer views as 'serious misconduct'.

In addition most handbooks state that the usual warning system (OW - WW - FFWW - dismissal), can be varied and the employer is entitled to 'take into account the employee's length of service when applying disciplinary sanctions...'

If you feel the warning is inappropriate you should appeal. The appeal should be dealt with by someone other than the person who gave you the WW

...................................................................... [FONT=Comic Sans MS]Please post on a thread before sending a PM. My opinion's are not expressed as agent or representative of The Consumer Action Group. Always seek professional advice from a qualified legal adviser before acting. If I have helped you please feel free to click on the black star.[/FONT] [FONT=Comic Sans MS] I am sorry that work means I don't get into the Employment Forum as often as I would like these days, but nonetheless I'll try to pop in when I can.[/FONT] [FONT=Arial Black][FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=Red]'Venceremos' :wink:[/COLOR][/FONT][/FONT]