NHS database opt out

Patma
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5586 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

You are not suggesting it, others in this thread are implying so.

No - you are inferring so.

Define "widespread". As a percentage, I think you will find it to be minimal.
I'm sure that you have as little access to a specific number as I do.

From the very first google result, however:

The UK's largest NHS trust has discovered endemic sharing of passwords and log-in identifications by staff, recording 70,000 cases of "inappropriate access" to systems, including medical records, in one month.

That may be a small percentage, but is doesn't take more than one access to represent a breach. As part of a team who deals with IS security, you would know that breaches are not judged relatively.

• 3 months later...

I have opted out and would like to make the following points

If I am unconcious with no ID and the hospital doesnt know if I am Jane Doe or sweet Fanny Adams whose notes will they access on the computer, so having my details on the spine wont help me will it?

If I have a specific allergy or problem I can wear an SOS necklace like thousands already do its called taken responsibility for my own health info

And for those of you with the nothing to hide nothing to fear mentality what happens when you arrive at a Hospital And E with say a broken nose and are suddenly surrounded by man in white coats asking if you have taken your medication as some low paid driod has inputted the wrong info on your computer records and you are down as a manic depressive with suicidal tendancies - try getting out of that ( and please dont tell me it wont happen - it will)

As for the poster who is embarrassed about having to give his details in front of everyone in a packed waiting room - er- you dont you tell them it is a breach of your medical confidentililty and insist that you are taken somewhere private - they have to do that I know I have done that countless times

Once it is all on computer then the large and very vocal federation of empolyers and insurers will insist in gaining access ( so if you are down as a manic depressive etc try getting a job or any insurance)

• Haha 1

As an ex A&E nurse I think that this system will be invaluable and totally agree with poppy... Many's the time that I have thought it would be a great idea not only to have such a database. but for individuals to be "chipped" so that when they come in comatose you can find out all about them and decide appropriate treatment quickly.

As a night manager I had occasion more than once to have words with some night staff who thought it acceptable to check the computer system for results for friends, family and neighbours and so I know that will go on also.

How would you like to be this girl,(The woman with a hairspray can up her bottom and the most incredible x rays in the world ever - mirror.co.uk )and have your med records available for all to see?

Perhaps instead of the proposed identity cards we could all be microchipped at birth....then we could be scanned on arrival at hospital and bingo our records would pop up....

Poppynurse :)

If my comments have been helpful please click my scales!!!!

My only concern with opting out is that the NHS will use this as an excuse if they are faced with the evidence that they made a mistake with patient care. In the case of my relative the notes were not read, so when she was re-admitted the 'new' consultant did not know what tests she had had previously and repeated them, but more seriously did not read the notes relating to a drug's toxicity. Will it be possible to query the computerised records against certain criteria and will the data be searchable I wonder. Having said that I have made the decision to opt out. I know enough about IT to worry that my data will not be safe in their hands. Just recently it seems my personal details - name, address, dob - were handed over by the Dept of Health to a company (Biotech if I recall correctly) who wrote to me asking if I'd like to take place in a clinical trial. I complained to the ICO, but they haven't even acknowledged by communication. If I ever were the victim of ID fraud how I would go about tracing the source would be anyone's guess!