£17 Overdrawn, £113.25 to fix it...

leavethisplace
style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5765 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

On the 16th April 2008, on my Current Plus account with no Overdraft Facility, I accidently forgot that my Virgin Media Payment of £17 was going out. Fortunatly I check my account fairly often, and on the 22nd April I paid that £17 back into the account.

It went unnoticed, but my memory hadn't gotten any better, and on the 16th May 2008 I managed to let that payment go into the red again, but again it was rectified on the 21st May and I thought nothing more of it. Then, on the 30th May 2008 I was lumbered with a charge of £28.

I rang NatWest, asked them why this had been charged, they explained that I had gone overdrawn without authorization and I had been charged. I explained that I had put this money back into the account as soon as I could. I tried to reason with them and explained I'm a student on very low income, and I can't actually afford to pay this fine off.

They refused point blank to budge, wouldn't refund me. I stopped all Standing Orders and DD's on the account. 30 June I was charged a further £28 as I still couldn't pay of the charge.

I am now in a position to pay off the above debt, and close down the account. I walked into my bank today to ask how much it would cost me. She printed off a "Closing Balance Breakdown". It came to £113.25 :evil:

I asked how this is possible. The Customer Service Rep told me that because now charges were paid off by the 5th June, a £28 charge would be applied to my account on the 30th July. Also, because the charges had not been paid off by the 5th July, I would also recieve another charge of £28 and the end of August - so an account already £55.81 overdrawn in charges only was now being fined a further £56 to make £113.25

The way in which we are being snowballed and steamrolled is disgusting - for going -£17 (which I made every effort to rectify) I'm now at -£113.25

I have the address to write a letter, and appeal, but just what should I be saying to them? Surely they're not demon minded enough to think £113.25 is a "fair charge" are they?

The bank will only refund if there is a bank error. There wasn't and so I would read the FAQ's here and then start the process.

Did they offer a small overdraft facility to avoid future charges?

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf

Then you know what you need to do, Read the FAQ's on this site and start the process of reclaiming bank charges.

FSA Waiver on Bank Charges:http://www.fsa.gov.uk/pages/Doing/Regulated/Notify/Waiver/pdf/dir_quart_0709.pdf