style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5788 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi all. First of all I am a first time poster, and secondly I am hoping you can help with a small problem

I signed a short term tennancy agreement on 7th JANURAY 2008. Part of the agreement was that I gave 2 months notice. Now perhaps I was naive on this part, however on 20th MAY 2008 I gave them 2 months notice.

I handed the letter over in person, she read it and said " The two months notice has to be given in on the day you pay the rent, but we'll see what we can do,"

First of all, I thought you just gave 2 months notice, paying part rent where applicable, but she was adamant that was how it was done, but it was a popular flat so it should be ok.

As time passes, we dont have any viewings, so I contact the agents to find out whats going on. They claim that they never received a letter from me at all. I spoke with the manager, who stated she did not received a letter from me, and that if she did, she would know about it.

To date, they have not found any tennants, in fact we have only had one viewing!. They are now saying I have to stay in contract with them until 7th AUGUST and there is nothing I can do. This means another months rent for them, which is annoying as I gave notice in writing, and they claim I haven't. I have a witnesses in me handing the letter over, in one of my colleagues. ( We are both police officers and were in uniform at their office the day I done it )

Could someone tell me where i stand with this matter, as it's really starting to get to me now.

Best regards to you all

Si

What was the fixed term of the tenancy? They are probably right....

7 years in retail customer service

Expertise in letting and rental law for 6 years

By trade - I'm an IT engineer working in the housing sector.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

Please click the star if I have helped!!

It was 6 months. Due to expire on 6th JULY. I gave my notice, albeit according to them 10 days late, but they sid it would be ok. They stated that notice has to be given on the rent due date.

Second of all though, and more important. They are denying that I ever go notice, despite giving it to them in writing and in person.

You do not have to give notice to leave at the end of the fixed term. Simply leave on the 6th of July.

Please note that any posts made by myself are for information only and should not and must not be taken as correct or factual. If in doubt, consult with a solicitor or other person of equal legal standing.

I am leaving on 6th JULY, but they are saying I owe that extra months rent as I didnt give notice, which I cleary did, albeit a few days late. dont want to pay it, but they will deduct it from my deposit if I dont. Looks like court action is the only recourse here. Very frustrating.

I do appreciate the replies so far though.

It doesnt matter. Let them sue you. At the end of a fixed term, YOU DO NOT HAVE TO GIVE ANY NOTICE.

Also however worth bringing your witnesses to court to prove that the notice was given anyway though!