• Tweets

• First of all please can you tell us the name of the seller, something about the van – age/year, mileage, price paid. How far away is the seller from where your son lives? Who do you take it to for this inspection? Are they prepared to give you a written list of the things that they found? This is very important and you may well have to get an independent inspection from somebody such as the AA. This will cost you some kind of feedback we expect that we will be able to help you get it back. I would say that if you have to bring a court claim – which is likely – then your chances of success are better than 95% but the difficulty might be enforcing the judgement against the seller. We will have to no more in order to give you better advice. Does it have an MOT? What is the date of it and who gave it the MOT? I suggest that you start taking pictures of all of the defects that you can find.   Also I am going to say that I believe that you came over from Facebook where you were already informed that we would need at least all of the information which I have requested above. It will save a lot of time and effort for everybody if you can simply come up with the things that we ask without too much delay
    • My autistic son brought a van from a private seller. ( there was 5 other cars on his drive and another van, plus loads of machanic tools in his hallway,  so he probably is a unofficial dealer).  He gave the van a once over, he checked for any warning lights that might be on, there was none. He checked underneath for any rust etc, it all looked fine. The body was rough, but you'd expect that for the age of the van.  He got his brothers machanic to give it a pre mot check, as the van was old so he expected it to have a few problems. The van is a deathtrap, the seller had blacked out all the warning lights that were on the dash,  and I mean all.  He had also painted some kind of black stuff on the underside, to hide all the damage there.   My son drove it for over 2 hours to get it home. The machanic said he's surprised my son is still alive, and an untrained eye would not of seen what the seller had done.  Iv asked the seller for a refund and for him to have the van back, but he is refusing. Is there anything we can do.   
    • The economy grew by 0.6% in the first three months of the year, ending a shallow recession.View the full article
    • First of all it sounds as if your retailer is very decent and very responsible. This itself is unusual in these kinds of circumstances and I think we need to bear this in mind. The guarantee is not particularly relevant and in fact the dealer had a statutory duty to exercise a certain responsibility for your computer – probably for several years as their obligation under the consumer rights act. The dealer may not have known this and it simply acting out of a sense of moral responsibility and that is even more noteworthy. You've already suggested earlier that you didn't really want to cause problems for your retailer. I think that you will need the help of your retailer as well in order to get information and evidence. I suggest that you proceed against DPD – but before you do that – I suggest that you have a discussion with the retailer. Tell them that this is what you are going to be doing and you would like to have a copy of anything they have which relates to the special instructions which apparently your dealer has already informed you about in relation to where item should be left. Secondly, maybe you should tell your dealer about this site and also about this thread. I can imagine like many dealers who are frequently sending items by means of couriers, they have had things go missing. Tell them that we will be very happy to help them recover money for lost or damaged or stolen items – and that is regardless of whether or not they have purchased insurance. Apart from being very pleased to help your dealer recover items which have been lost by irresponsible parcel delivery companies, I think we need to encourage the complicity between you and them so they will be pleased to support you in your claim against DPD. It will be helpful if you can get a copy of the instructions that you have referred to above, and also if you can get some written evidence of your own instruction that your laptop should be left in a safe place. Have you done the reading on this sub- forum? You will need to do lots of reading of many of the similar stories on this sub- forum. They won't necessarily be against DPD but the principles will broadly be the same. Also read the pinned topics at the top of the sub- forum in order to understand many of the principles involved. Getting your money back but be quick – but your chances of success are better than 90% that you can bank on it taking anything up to a year. Have you got anything in writing from DPD either refusing you or telling you that they won't discuss with you?  
    • Thank you for telling us the text of the letter you had from the police. As we don't seem to have come across this before, it would be really useful for us to see the original please. HB
  • Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf
  • Recommended Topics

curiodeb/Howard Cohen **Case Struck out**

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5615 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Debs

1. Did you recieve a Default Note and if so post up same?

2 .Did you recieve a copy of the N.O.A and if so post up same?

Use Photobucket for the above. (remove all personal details first)

And here is your response

Post this to the Court and to the Claiments Sols Next day Gtd Del

Its time to crank up the pressure

For the Attention of the Case Manager

in the matter of

CL Finance

V

CurioDebs

Claim Number

In Northhampton Court

Northhampton County Court

4th Floor St Katharines House

21-27 St Katherines Street

Your Address

Dear Sir or Madam,

RE: FAILURE BY CLAIMANT TO PROVIDE INFORMATION

I would like to inform the court of some difficulties that I am experiencing

with this claim, which may prevent me filing a fully particularised defence

and counter claim to this action, and may consequently frustrate proceedings.

On insert date, I sent the claimant a formal request under the consumer credit agreement, for account. I requested a copy of the credit agreement, a statement of account, and copies of the relevant terms and conditions. I have still not received this information.

On insert date, I also sent a request under the Civil Procedure Rules, for the claimant to send me information in respect of each account in the claim, that I consider is vital in order to produce a defence and counter claim.

I enclose a copy of this letter and Reply, and ask that the court consider the matter and take any action it deems appropriate.

Yours Sincerely,

(print Name)

Enc:-letter requesting disclosure.CPR 18/copy of Solicitors Response

I trust the above is of help

Regards

Andy

;)

Edited by Andyorch

We could do with some help from you.

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

If you want advice on your Topic please PM me a link to your thread

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanksagain Andy...I'm on the case!! I have never recieved a N.O.A. I am going to look for the default...I think that was sent to me by GE ages ago will post up later on.

Will get letters in post today and await a response!

Feeling loads better already!! ;)

Debs

BTW did you contact Court re Plea (you can PM if you prefer) and can you confirm your deadline for defence submission?

Regards

Andy

PLEASE HELP US TO KEEP THIS SITE RUNNING EVERY POUND DONATED WILL HELP US TO KEEP HELPING OTHER

Have we helped you ...?         Please Donate button to the Consumer Action Group - The National Consumer Service

Contacted court re changing plea and I was told it doesn't matter if i ticked part of debt I can still enter defence of all and counter claim. I must submit defence by 12th July.

Ok Debs

Ok all bases covered for now if you do get chance please post up copy of default notice (remove personal details).

In hindsight i would not attach a copy of the Sols letter for the Courts attention at this stage, I have my reasons.But ammend above letter to their response ie include the section where they state " You have also made a request for information under the Civil Procedure Rules. We are not obliged to provide this information and would advise that the particulars of the clam detailed in the county court form be sufficient to allow you to respond accordingly"

(Apoligies if you have already printed out)

Regards

Andy.

Edited by Andyorch
addition
  • Haha 1

Hi Debs

Dont worry it will be fine was just a thought i had but its ok lets proceed as planned

Andy;)

Thats fine Debs btw thank you for your kind comments and rep glad to be able to help. I think it's so important where possible, to help others. If you have knowledge the best thing you can do is share it

Try not to let this stress you out, easier said than done I know, but life is too short to make yourself ill over a debt. If you can, try and compartmentalise, so that you only think about it when you have paperwork to deal with concerning the case. The best thing you can do for yourself and is get on with life and not let the likes of C L Finance occupy your thoughts and grind you down. There is a lot to be said for not worrying/panicking, as it really is counter-productive to resolving an issue. There is always, however difficult a situation might appear to be, a logical/rational solution to the problem.

With your case, you have to put forward as many strong arguments as you can to either make C L Finance run away, get rid of the debt in entirety, or reduce it to £5. Not all companies have the stomach for a full on Court battle, so this might be over before you know it!

I trust the above clarifies your concerns

Andy:)

Hi Andy!

Good advice...will try best to chill tonight now. Well after exhaustive paperwork search only default notice I can find is one by GE from Feb this year:

courtpaper2.jpg

Hope this helps...we can (PM) tomorrow if you have any more thoughts on the situation. Cheers, Debs :)

Hi Debs

Sorry for the delay in my response.Ok on the face of that it looks fine with reference to the perscibed terms form and layout.

However there might be other faults with it, given that penalty charges were added after it was issued ,therefore rendering it invalid and unenforcable.

I notice a figure of £1242.58 this is the arrears figure.Does this tie in with your full debt balance less penalty charges /interest?

Did the DN have your correct full name and address and postcode?

You have a further very strong argument at your disposal, that will cause them problems. You should have been issued with a Notice of Assignment(NoA). If you didn't receive it and they issued proceedings having not provided you with it, they cannot enforce the debt. If you did receive one chances are it will be flawed and again, they won't be able to enforce the debt. One example of it being flawed, would be if the penalty charges have been included in the amount being requested and/or any other charges levied by the owners of the debt, that there is no provision for in the contract. It must clearly state on the letter that it is a NoA also. If they can't get past the issues to do with the NoA, then forget about having to argue about the agreement, the case will be over before it starts. Notice of the Assignment is absolutely vital, to comply with s136 of the Law of Property Act 1925, which deals with assignments.

The NoA /DN are your strongest argument and I would be very surprised indeed if they prove to be enforceable. Companies screw up with paperwork most of the time and NoA's are no exception!

I am aware that you have requested CPR disclosure and requested a copy of your CCA1974 within that request but to make sure all bases are covered i would request same again seperatly from CL finance Sols.

I know its a bit like closing the stable door after the horse has bolted but we need to have this request on file in preperation for your defence.

You will find the template here http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk...templates.html

letter N ,include a PO for £1.00 dont sign the letter, head the letter

I Do Not Acknowledge any Debt to your Company

Send G/Delivery ASAP

I hope the above is of help

Regards

Andy;)

Edited by Andyorch

Hi

I am battling against this lot as well, they sent same reply to my cpr request and have ignored 2 court orders to disclose information. Have a read through my thread as I have been given some great advice. Hope it's helpful.

http://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/forum/legal-issues/131823-cohens-cl-finance-claims.html

Good luck

Hi Andy

The arrears on the default are all the charges and interest they put on the account that mounted up over the months they were ignoring my requests for temp payment arrangement!! The balance before all of this started was about £2300/£2400 ish then came the snowball of interest and charges.

DN had my full correct name and address, well it didn't include my middle name but thats all I can see.

If the default notice arrears were taken off the total balance it wouldn't be far off my figure.

Going to look for that NOA, if it likely to look more like a letter it will be in a different part of my filing system (lol...yes I do have one albeit in a bit of a pickle).....

Kind regards, Debs

Hi Andy

Well it looks like they did send NOA only couldn't see it before as it is a very small box at bottom of a letter! First thing I did notice was they start calling me Miss D ***** and not Miss Debra ***** is this relevant? Will leave this to your expert eye and see where we go from here:

courtpaper3.jpg

Ok debs

Thats fine but as i pointed out in my earlier post the NOA contains penalty charges and therefore renders it invalid.Have you recieved a DN from these muffins since they aquired said debt? did you maintain any payment also on the assignment? When was the last payment and to who?

Regards

Andy

Well I agreed to pay GE £50 per month and was paying them, then all of a sudden my account switched to these lot....I paid one payment to them of £100 to bring the account up to date. I held next payment back a bit as I was concerned about who they were and what had happened to my account (mistake i know!) then I received a statement saying £50 due immediately on account and next thing I know was the claim form...without a DN or contact by them at all!!

Ok so they have issued legal proceedings with an Invalid N.O.A and not issued a DN . Excellent.

Thats all we need for now Debs i will start to draft a Defence for you over the weekend should I require anything else i will post.

Dont forget to post out your request for your CCA to CL finance this is importance as i will need to make reference to it in your defence.

Keep all proof of reciepts and papertrail on all communications.

Oh and btw dont worry and have a nice weekend.

I trust the above is of help

Regards

Andy;)

Hi, just adding my bit, the DN is also flawed because it gives you 14 days to remedy from the date on the letter, you couldn't possibly have received it on that day therefore invalid.

Please note i have no legal training any advice i give comes from my own experience and from what i have learned on this site

Thanks for that Debs every little helps as the shopping giant says.Thanks also CCM for your input yes i had already spotted the date.

CL Finance had no intention of ever entering into an amicable finacial relationship with you and have acted vexatious in bringing the claim.They do tend to buy a lot of unenforcable debts from their sidekicks GE Money.

Dont forget the game isnt over till the fat lady sings:rolleyes:

Regards

Andy:)

BTW CCM

The Default Note in question is irrelevent anyway it was issued by GE Money in March 2008 not CL Finance.

Regards

;)