• Tweets

• Recommended Topics

• Our picks

• If you are buying a used car – you need to read this survival guide.
      • 1 reply
    • Hello,

On 15/1/24 booked appointment with Big Motoring World (BMW) to view a mini on 17/1/24 at 8pm at their Enfield dealership.  

Car was dirty and test drive was two circuits of roundabout on entry to the showroom.  Was p/x my car and rushed by sales exec and a manager into buying the mini and a 3yr warranty that night, sale all wrapped up by 10pm.  They strongly advised me taking warranty out on car that age (2017) and confirmed it was honoured at over 500 UK registered garages.

The next day, 18/1/24 noticed amber engine warning light on dashboard , immediately phoned BMW aftercare team to ask for it to be investigated asap at nearest garage to me. After 15 mins on hold was told only their 5 service centres across the UK can deal with car issues with earliest date for inspection in March ! Said I’m not happy with that given what sales team advised or driving car. Told an amber warning light only advisory so to drive with caution and call back when light goes red.

I’m not happy to do this, drive the car or with the after care experience (a sign of further stresses to come) so want a refund and to return the car asap.

Please can you advise what I need to do today to get this done. 

Many thanks 
      • 81 replies
    • Housing Association property flooding. https://www.consumeractiongroup.co.uk/topic/438641-housing-association-property-flooding/&do=findComment&comment=5124299
      • 161 replies
    • We have finally managed to obtain the transcript of this case.

The judge's reasoning is very useful and will certainly be helpful in any other cases relating to third-party rights where the customer has contracted with the courier company by using a broker.
      This is generally speaking the problem with using PackLink who are domiciled in Spain and very conveniently out of reach of the British justice system.

Frankly I don't think that is any accident.

One of the points that the judge made was that the customers contract with the broker specifically refers to the courier – and it is clear that the courier knows that they are acting for a third party. There is no need to name the third party. They just have to be recognisably part of a class of person – such as a sender or a recipient of the parcel.

Please note that a recent case against UPS failed on exactly the same issue with the judge held that the Contracts (Rights of Third Parties) Act 1999 did not apply.

We will be getting that transcript very soon. We will look at it and we will understand how the judge made such catastrophic mistakes. It was a very poor judgement.
      We will be recommending that people do include this adverse judgement in their bundle so that when they go to county court the judge will see both sides and see the arguments against this adverse judgement.
      Also, we will be to demonstrate to the judge that we are fair-minded and that we don't mind bringing everything to the attention of the judge even if it is against our own interests.
      This is good ethical practice.

It would be very nice if the parcel delivery companies – including EVRi – practised this kind of thing as well.

OT APPROVED, 365MC637, FAROOQ, EVRi, 12.07.23 (BRENT) - J v4.pdf

Ppi - Mis-sold Paragon/central Capital Ltd

style="text-align: center;">  

Thread Locked

because no one has posted on it for the last 5818 days.

If you need to add something to this thread then

Please click the "Report " link

at the bottom of one of the posts.

If you want to post a new story then

Please

Start your own new thread

That way you will attract more attention to your story and get more visitors and more help 

Thanks

Hi Guys, just wondered how you have been getting on with these claims.

I'm in the same boat took a loan from Paragon broker being Central Capital Ltd loan £55,000 taken out on the 11th Jan 05 although Paragon say my laon started the 27th Jan 05 repaid December 05 total repid with PPI £70,000. I have tried Pragon who blamed Central and Central basically say they weren't regualted by FSA till Jan 14th 05 (3 days) and they had no obligation to advise us it was done on the basis of us reading the information sent and understanding it.

Central Capital are prepared to go to court.

Letter from Central Capital

I appreciate your concerns, however I must point out that the sale of the insurance was conducted on the 11th January 2005. As you have stated your loan completed on the 27th January 2005, after FSA regulation, however there were transitional arrangements in place for situations such as yours. The FSA rule book states the following

ICOB TP 1 Transitional Provisions

ICOB TP 1.1

(1) (2) Material to which the transitional provision applies (3) (4) Transitional provision(5) Transitional provision: dates in force(6) Handbook provision: coming into force

1 Every rule inICOB unless the context otherwise requires and subject to any more specific transitional provision relating to the matter.R If the application of any provision in ICOB is dependent on the occurrence of a series of events, some of which occur before, and some of which occur on or after 14 January 2005, the provision applies with respect to the events that occur on or after 14 January 2005.114 January 2005 - 15 July 200514 January 2005

2 GFor example, if a firm were to advise a customer before 14 January 2005 to buy a non-investment insurance contract, the firm would not be required to comply with the provisions relating to personal recommendations in ICOB 4 if the customer were to buy the non-investment insurance contract on or after 14 January 2005. However, if the firm were to repeat the personal recommendation to the customer on or after 14 January 2005, those provisions in ICOB 4 would apply.1

3 GWhere a non-investment insurance contract is concluded before 14 January 2005, the cancellation provisions (if any) applying at the date the cancellation period commences apply.

All help and comments welcome.

I'm very angry about this and have now written again to Paragon blaming them for letting brokers who are un-regualted and adhere to no compliance or codes of practice deal on their behalf with large loans that are secured on people's property these brokers having no due care to it's customers.

I'm trying to fin out the person at Central Capital who is in-charge of Compliance.

Thanks

Thanks

Hello alisono,

I have spoken to the FOS and I would certainly call and tell them of your situation. The FOS are not happy with the response about pre 14 Jan 2005 fob off letters and may well advise you to submit a claim to them as it is within 6 years. You may eventually have to proceed to a Court action but you will get help on this site (daunting but helpers are at hand with loads of legal knowledge)

You will probably find a telephone number in my links sticky plus a lot more information.

good luck

aa

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.

Thanks for the comments and your help.

Adamski,

I claiming they mis-sold me on the grounds I told them I had life cover apparently so what no obligation to advise, they also never told me that the payment was added to the loan and if I redeemed it the penalties or the interest I would pay would be so steep my fault should of read it. They also made me feel that if I didn;'t take out the PPi I wouldn't get the loan central capital refute this. Central Capital have said they have listened to my taped calls and I mentioned my life cover but had no obligation to go into any details as weren't regulated by the FSA until 14/01/05 and my loan completed 11/01/05. They say their CAM never implied I had to take the policy but they also don't mention anything else that was said.

It was my fault I should of read all documentation provided they had no obligation to inform me of anything it was up to me to decide.

question it was a joint loan, did they need to speak to my husband regarding this? Or is one party liable for everything, obviuosly my husband signed everything but never had a conversation with them.

Alanalana,

I have spoken already to the FOS and it seems that Central Capital are not under their jurisdiction as the period cover up to the 14.01.05 was non compliance and the only other regulated bodyaround PPI was the GISC which Central Capital were not a member of.

The compliance manager for Central Capital told me to contact the FOS and gleefully put a paragraph stating they had no jurisdiction with FOS for that period and if I took them to Court they would seek costs off me.

I have been trying to find out who actually regulated them if anyone at all.

I have written back to Paragon who fobbed me off in the first place stating it was Central Capital the brokers fault for selling me this.

I spoke direct to Paragon and asked when my loan completed they told me 27th January 05 and I thought well that might help as it was after the 14th Jan05 and FSA regulations came into force, but Central Capital as above just sent the response back they had no obligations as the sale took place 11th Jan according to them. I have asked Paragon for a copy of all my agreements and a copy of the PPI.

We'll see what happens next.

Central Captial by the way have told me not to write to them again as they've made a final decision and it's pointless they won't change this.

Thanks

Hello alisono,

Please check out these links from the FSA register for information on the central capital ltd and paragon.

FSA Register

FSA Register

A quick check seems to show no regulators for these two companies, but you may wish to search with more detail from your documentation.

You can search for information on the companies and see the current status within the FSA register. Both appear to be authorised representatives. I believe your claim is with central capital ltd with whom you have the loan with PPI. I would check all your CCAs as they will probably show paragon as the insurer but as you did not deal with them directly your claim should be with central capital. If they were or are not regulated then you claim would probably be through the Court route.

the main link for the FSA Register is here...

FSA Register

Just type as much information as you have into the boxes and do a search. This will give you names of individuals, trading names of the company, and a multitude of other useful information.

hope this helps you

aa

Edited by alanalana
text added

I have no legal training and the advice I offer is a matter of support. Before you commit to any Legal action you are advised to contact a qualified legal practitioner.

------------------------------------------------

Bank charge successes:

Halifax - Full settlement incl interest.

HSBC - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 75% of claim.

RBS - Settlement, goodwill no admission of liability about 70% of claim.

2 ongoing claims for bank charges with HSBC with more to come. (Supreme Court ruling could have upset these claims) They did :mad:

PPI Successes

PPI 4 settlements on 9 loans. FOS involvement on 7 added on the 8 % Statutory interest another 30% to both.

2 claims settled in full with LV without FOS involvement.

2 claims settled in full with HSBC without FOS involvement

PPI Claims ongoing with:

Cap one Now with the FOS

Barclays. Paid up today 24/04/10 cheque received for over £4,500 and in the bank.

LTSB still have to decide on this as their SAR production was abysmal. Papers data mixed up documents missing etc

1 Complaint not upheld by FOS they said it was ICO issue. Complaint upheld by ICO. See this..

Post 290 from

***RBS PPI Claim Long fight but, WON***

Please do not PM me for advice as it may be sometime before I can respond.

Keep at them. Do not give way and do not accept all they tell you, they will delay and stall for as long as they can to prevent repaying you your mis-sold PPI.